EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Mar 2022, 07:43 AM   #1
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

FYI - new Sieve extension spotted in FM's Sieve code

Just spotted a new extension in the Sieve require list, "vnd.cyrus.imip". It's apparently for Sieve section 6, "Sieve generated for calendar preferences". That code now uses a command called processimip.

iMIP = iCalendar Message-Based Interoperability Protocol

I think this just appeared in the last 24-hours. Maybe I just stumbled into a work in progress (although this is not beta FM I was using). I don't know. Haven't looked any further of what this new stuff supports (calendar events?).

Oddly, this time this new extension doesn't break Sieve Tester as fresh new extensions often do.

Last edited by xyzzy : 23 Mar 2022 at 07:59 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Mar 2022, 10:36 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

This is an interesting find. I suspect that this is to support changes for automated calendar updates that, at this stage, are in the early stages of development. We can expect settings to appear in beta in due course (when testing reaches an advanced stage) that will allow us to make use of the intended new features.

Funnily enough, I am not seeing a require for vnd.cyrus.imip, but do see vnd.cyrus.snooze which I think is also new, and presumably allows you to automatically snooze emails under some defined conditions. That seems kind of neat, though I struggle to think of a use case (maybe it is something you would use temporarily during a vacation, along with forwarding the messages to someone else?)
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2022, 10:56 AM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Funnily enough, I am not seeing a require for vnd.cyrus.imip, but do see vnd.cyrus.snooze which I think is also new,...
Hmm, that's weird. vnd.cyrus.snooze has been in my require list since around the middle of last year. At least I've been seeing it there. Indeed I am so used to seeing it there at the end of the require list that the vnd.cyrus.imip, when it appeared, immediately stood out like a sore thumb at the end of the list!

The last set of UI changes narrowed the script screen width to 94 characters (way too narrow IMO - screwed up a lot of my comments due to line wrapping) and because of that the line wrapped require list it wraps across 5 lines with vnd.cyrus.snooze just happening to be on the 5th line by itself. So with the added extension it was really immediately obvious on that 5th line.

Don't know why I would see it and not everyone else. Maybe try logging out of your account and logging back in.

Last edited by xyzzy : 23 Mar 2022 at 11:09 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2022, 11:24 AM   #4
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

I see 'vnd.cyrus.imip' as the last entry in the Require list.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2022, 11:47 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I also don't see "vnd.cyrus.imip". I only see the following at this time in both production and beta on my three Fastmail accounts (after logging out between tries):
Quote:
require ["fileinto", "reject", "vacation", "notify", "envelope", "body", "relational", "regex", "subaddress", "copy", "mailbox", "mboxmetadata", "servermetadata", "date", "index", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric", "variables", "imap4flags", "editheader", "duplicate", "vacation-seconds", "fcc", "vnd.cyrus.jmapquery", "vnd.cyrus.log", "mailboxid", "special-use", "vnd.cyrus.snooze"];
So my guess is that Fastmail is rolling this out, and it hasn't propagated to all of our accounts yet.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2022, 07:03 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
... presumably allows you to automatically snooze emails under some defined conditions. That seems kind of neat, though I struggle to think of a use case ...
The introduction in the draft proposal says:
Quote:
Users are not always ready, willing, or able to read and respond to email messages at the time of their arrival. Sometimes it is desirable to have messages appear in a mailbox at a more convenient time for the user to act upon them.
One usage scenario is having all the emails that correspond to some criteria arrive together exactly at the times you set in your workday to deal with them.

Of course this is also another possible use:
Quote:
... something you would use temporarily during a vacation, along with forwarding the messages to someone else
but it will not work for a vacation that's two weeks or longer with the current specification. So perhaps the developers should be told about this usage scenario (some of them are known to take vacations sometimes ).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote