EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 9 Mar 2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Ceramic

Problem with Lycos Mail

I have a free Lycos Mail account that I created a long long time ago.

For the past couple of days, I'm having trouble logging into their webmail service. I go to mail.lycos.com, give my username/password, which seemingly are accepted, and then I'm redirected after several seconds to webmail.lycos.com which gives the error message "login failed". Further login attempts at webmail.lycos.com always give login failed.
If I now go to mail.lycos.com, I'm redirected (without me having to give any username,password) to webmail.lycos.com

If (after clearing all cookies) I give a wrong password at mail.lycos.com, there is no redirection, and I *immediately* get the message "username-password do not match".
Ceramic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Mar 2018, 09:17 PM   #2
mf1941
Essential Contributor

I believe that it will log you in if you use the mail tab on the LYCOS home page.

Had the same issue a while back.
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Good to know Lycos still exists. I remember them vaguely as a free webhost too, back before Wordpress.com, Wix.com and Weebly came into existance. I haven't seen anything Lycos related in ages.

Do they still accept new subscriptions for email? Are you satisfied with their service?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2018, 09:10 PM   #4
mf1941
Essential Contributor

I believe LYCOS allows Paid only though maybe worth a try to sign up a free account.

They have a modified Roundcube webmail w./ calendar and a basic File Storage.
Have used it for a few online forums etc. No issues at all with it.

The ownership of LYCOS is now with an India based online advertising outfit,
Brightcom which appears to be highly profitable.
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2018, 01:23 AM   #5
Ceramic

I think they still accept new free accounts, but only from certain countries.

I've still been unable to go to my mail account, and I'm not the only one:
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/mail.lycos.com.html

(Look at their comments section)

It's been like 2 weeks, and no access.

Clicking the mail tab on the lycos page does not help.

Their email interface had improved from their early days.
Ceramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 12:40 PM   #6
OneTrickPony

I've been having intermittent problems with lycos for almost a year. I'm not even sure if Lycos hosts their own email server any more. It's clearly just RoundCube barely even modified. Honestly, I'm amazed that Lycos, Juno and Excite! even continue to bother maintaining email. I'm glad they do, because my lycos and excite accounts are over 10 years old. But that's also a problem within itself.

I used to have my lycos account on my business card. But no one knows what Lycos is any more. I had several people ask me if Lycos was my company.Now I just have an uglier gmail account name, because I don't think it's helpful for people to be distracted by my email provider
OneTrickPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 11:06 AM   #7
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I have a Lycos account, but not for long.

Received this on April 28, 2018, the second of two, the first on April 7, 2018
Quote:
Dear Lycos Mail User,

This is a reminder that starting on May 15th, 2018 we will no longer be able to offer free Lycos Mail addresses. If you have recently upgraded, thank you, and apologies for emailing you again.

To continue using your Lycos Mail address, you will need to upgrade your account to a premium account: https://registration.lycos.com/payme...m_PR=27&m_UP=1

There are three premium account options:
- $4.95 per month
- $19.95 per year
- $49.95 per 3 years

Upgrading your account to premium does come with benefits:
- 5 GB of storage space
- POP and IMAP access
- Webmail access without ads

Alternatively, if you do not want to upgrade your account, you can download your email messages with an email client. Instructions on how to do this are here:
https://help.opensrs.com/hc/en-us/ar...indows-10-Mail
Make sure to follow the instructions for Cluster B and to use the POP3 protocol.

If you do not upgrade your account, on May 15th, your Lycos Mail account and its messages will be deleted.

If you already have a premium account, no action is required.

We regret not being able to offer free Lycos Mail accounts going forward, but it is unfortunately necessary for us to stay in business.

See our FAQ for more information:
http://helpdesk.lycos.com/solution/a...ee-service-faq

Thank you,
Lycos Mail Admin
I'm not going paid and was surprised I was still able to log in. Since there is no POP or IMAP available with free account I was forwarding messages to another account. These two message never got forwarded. I got word of this here at the forum in Early Warning... I believe.

Another account lost to paid. Oh and the instructions to download stored messages was worthless. Not that I had anything other than the two messages to download.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote