EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 28 Mar 2024, 04:23 PM   #1
Avion

Port87 - A new kind of email

https://sciactive.com/2023/07/17/the...-organization/

Looks like an interesting project.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Mar 2024, 08:27 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

It looks interesting, and I love that people are reimagining what email can be. But, I don't see how it solves the fundamental problem with all automatic filtering--you still have to review every email coming in to avoid missing stuff, and the more places you have to look the more time it takes. For example, even if I have a label with Port87 that automatically tags all incoming Netflix emails I will want to quickly review all of them so that I don't miss some important account change, price increase, credit card failure notice, etc. Same with stuff from my credit card companies, banks, vendors I deal with regularly, etc. So, sure you can select to see all of the labels in your Inbox, but then why is it different than say Gmail where I can automatically label stuff coming in too? For my own simple needs I have found the fastest and easiest way to deal with my email is to have all of it appear in one inbox chronologically, with labels applied to some important things for easier finding later. Most emails are deleted immediately, some are starred for later dealing with, some are archived, and infrequently something is marked as spam from the inbox. I just use search to find some old email I've archived instead of wasting time sorting them every day. I very rarely actually go back to old emails anyway. So Port87 might be interesting, but not for me. Of course pricing will be important too.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2024, 01:18 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

I tested this briefly. To be honest, I found the concept behind this quite complicated (and I'm not a complete novice in email) and user-intensive.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2024, 01:53 AM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

The way it works by auto-replying unknown senders can create a lot of backscatter, and eventually create deliverability issues.
Many people / organization would not bother manually resending email to a different address, and some would not even know about the automatic response asking to resend the message to a difference address because the automatic response would be classified as spam.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2024, 05:09 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I tested this briefly. To be honest, I found the concept behind this quite complicated (and I'm not a complete novice in email) and user-intensive.
When I go to the website it shows a waitlist but no actual signups yet. https://port87.com/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2024, 06:55 AM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
When I go to the website it shows a waitlist but no actual signups yet. https://port87.com/
I got an invite about 8 months ago.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2024, 10:14 AM   #7
truemagic

I just got one after signing up for a waiting list. It was fast.

My first impression on the landing page (dashboard): Wow, what a clean interface! It feels like purelymail's dashboard but much organised.

Haven't started using it yet but I agreed with @Berenburger it feels complicated on how I should start using it.

It reminds me of manyme.com (anyone still remember it?) which has similar workflow but this is much cleaner and offers you an inbox with free 500MB. Also manyme does not allow to change my forwarding email which is a bummer!

I sincerely hope Port87 can last and I might even subscribe to one of its package to support them, but for now I'll use it casually.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2024, 03:51 PM   #8
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic View Post
It reminds me of manyme.com (anyone still remember it?) which has similar workflow but this is much cleaner and offers you an inbox with free 500MB.
manyme looks similar to spamgourmet with less features.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2024, 04:01 PM   #9
xylon

New mailboxes take time to test, such as skiff.
xylon is offline   Reply With Quote