EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Nov 2015, 05:41 AM   #1
dc2000

Is there a service to forward all my incoming emails from Hotmail to Gmail?

I've had this Hotmail.com account since about year 2000 and a lot of people and services use and know about it. So I don't want to give up that address. The problem is that the Hotmail service (besides being really crummy) doesn't work well with my mobile device.

So I started and have been using a new GMail.com email account, but now I'm curious if there's a service to intercept all my incoming emails to Hotmail and send them to GMail?
dc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Nov 2015, 06:34 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

There is no "interceptor" service. If user-defined automatic forwarding is not supported in Hotmail, that's the end of the story,
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2015, 06:54 AM   #3
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2000 View Post
I've had this Hotmail.com account since about year 2000 and a lot of people and services use and know about it. So I don't want to give up that address. The problem is that the Hotmail service (besides being really crummy) doesn't work well with my mobile device.

So I started and have been using a new GMail.com email account, but now I'm curious if there's a service to intercept all my incoming emails to Hotmail and send them to GMail?
You can setup forwarding on hotmail side or setup email collection (from hotmail to gmail) on gmail side.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2015, 07:17 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

@dc2000
Outlook.com (which is the evolution of Hotmail) is really rich with features. I can confirm that it does support email forwarding and it supports POP access to your Outlook.com inbox. As RFK said, you can collect your messages in Gmail by either of those methods,
I'm surprised that Hotmail/Outlook.com doesn't work well with your mobile device, since it also supports IMAP and works well for me. Which email client are you using?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2015, 10:49 AM   #5
dc2000

Thank you for your replies, guys.

I did set up forwarding. It's in Options -> Mail -> Forwarding -> Start forwarding, then specified my gmail address and ... nothing gets forwarded. That's what I mean about Hotmail. It's so janky and there's really no one to ask if it doesn't work.

To answer your other points, here's what I don't like about hotmail:

1. Account password is limited to 16 characters. There's really no reason to do it in today's world. (For those who understand, this means that they use an old/weak/broken encryption algorithm for password hashing, such as MD5 that imposes such a limit.)

2. I use it on my iPad and iPhone, and there seems to be a security bug in hotmail (that I tried to submit multiple times to MS with no success.) If I change my account password it takes several hours before the mobile device starts using it. In other words, after my password is changed, the mobile device can still access and send mail via Hotmail -- which is BAD! (Note that a GMail account on the same device blocks access immediately after a password change.)

3. Lastly, Hotmail has quite a bad spam filter. It filters off a ton of the mail that I need and lets thru some obvious junk. In other words, nothing can beat Google and their GMail. It's superb regarding crowd-sourced junk filter.

So those are my reasons. But at this point I just want my mail forwarded!
Old 8 Nov 2015, 01:05 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Outlook.com forwarding to Gmail works fine, but Gmail suppresses email loops

Quote:
...I did set up forwarding. It's in Options -> Mail -> Forwarding -> Start forwarding, then specified my gmail address and ... nothing gets forwarded. That's what I mean about Hotmail. It's so janky and there's really no one to ask if it doesn't work....
There are two methods in Outlook.com to forward messages, and both work well for me:
  • Options > Email forwarding - All messages are forwarded.
  • Manage Rules > New > (appropriate rule, such as If recipient contains ... then forward to ...)
Please note that your Gmail account will ignore any incoming message which was sent with your Gmail From address.
  • So if you set up forwarding at Outlook.com so that all incoming messages are forwarded to your Gmail account, you can't test this by sending a test message from that same Gmail account to your Outlook/Live/Hotmail account.
  • The test message will arrive at the Gmail account, since Gmail will forward it to an external account. But it won't appear in your Gmail Inbox or All Mail. Gmail seems to suppress such messages as potential email loops.
Quote:
...2. I use it on my iPad and iPhone, and there seems to be a security bug in hotmail (that I tried to submit multiple times to MS with no success.) If I change my account password it takes several hours before the mobile device starts using it. In other words, after my password is changed, the mobile device can still access and send mail via Hotmail -- which is BAD! (Note that a GMail account on the same device blocks access immediately after a password change.)...
I don't use Outlook.com on a mobile device. My guess is that the mobile client keeps an active session open with the outlook.com server, and if you log off and then attempt to log back in your new password will be required. But that's just my guess.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2015, 01:58 PM   #7
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Having Gmail POP Outlook.com seems more reliable.
Old 8 Nov 2015, 02:00 PM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Having Gmail POP Outlook.com seems more reliable.
I have seen no unreliability with the Outlook.com forwarding feature. It's Gmail's tendency to hide or suppress certain messages which I find aggravating.

Bill
Old 8 Nov 2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
2. I use it on my iPad and iPhone, and there seems to be a security bug in hotmail (that I tried to submit multiple times to MS with no success.) If I change my account password it takes several hours before the mobile device starts using it. In other words, after my password is changed, the mobile device can still access and send mail via Hotmail -- which is BAD! (Note that a GMail account on the same device blocks access immediately after a password change
Suggestion: use the outlook.com mail app.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2015, 11:13 PM   #10
Cory
Essential Contributor

Like someone else said setup your Hotmail account as a POP3 account in Gmail .
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2015, 01:23 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

My personal preference would be to forward from Outlook rather than collecting from GMail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2015, 02:28 AM   #12
dc2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Like someone else said setup your Hotmail account as a POP3 account in Gmail .
Hmm. That's a good idea. I didn't know that it was possible! Any steps on how to do it?
Old 9 Nov 2015, 03:00 AM   #13
William9
The "e" in e-mail

1. Enable connect devices and apps using POP in Outlook.com account options (under the gear icon)
  2. In Gmail, go to settings, Accounts and Import
  3. Go to Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)
  4. Enter your login for Outlook.com
Old 29 Nov 2015, 09:10 AM   #14
dc2000

Guys, I'm sorry to resurrect this thread. I had to give it up because my head was ready to explode over MS stupidity. So I stopped trying in fear of breaking my keyboard or some other equipment in frustration....

So now I had to come back to it (what, almost a month since I posted my original question) and guess what? The auto-forwarding is still broken at Hotmail. Just as I expected

I manually logged in to the Hotmail account today, and of course there were 3 or 4 important emails that I haven't seen! F*$# Microsoft!

So I decided to give the POP3 suggestion a try. But it doesn't work either.... Seriously!

Here's the setting at Hotmail (where I'm taking my email from):

http://imgur.com/lgTy8Cc

and here's what I get at Gmail when I try to set it up:

http://imgur.com/5lpnKly

So what is wrong now?
Old 29 Nov 2015, 10:50 AM   #15
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, forwarding from outlook.com/Hotmail to Gmail works very reliably for me. And as I said, testing this requires sending from an account different than the final destination due to Gmail email loop prevention.

Bill