EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 12 Sep 2013, 01:38 PM   #1
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Polarismail - Spam filters, How good?

Can anyone who is using Polarismail comment on how good their Spam filters are?

Thanks.
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Sep 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I've had an account for a couple of years, but have only been using it heavily for the past couple of weeks. I've had no spam on my inbox, one message filed by the system in the system spam folder. It was not spam, but I can understand why the system thought it was since it was from a used car sales site.
My experience has been good, but my email address probably hasn't had much exposure to spam mailing lists.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Clive T

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
Can anyone who is using Polarismail comment on how good their Spam filters are?
I've used PolarisMail as my main account for the last year and the spam filtering seems to work well. Polaris distinguishes between possible and probable spam and delivers them into two folders - spam and hard spam.

You can adjust the sensitivity of these filters through the user control panel as well as white and blacklisting individual mail etc.

If you have your own domain, Polaris sets up a catchall address which you may not want. If you don't want it, you can disable it and substitute specific delivery names.

Last edited by Clive T : 12 Sep 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added conent
Clive T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2013, 08:59 AM   #4
scott2020

I have been struggling with Polarismail's spam filters. There are several levels of spam filtering and I don't really understand how they all work, but there are a lot of legit emails that get put into the "hard spam" folder. Things like facebook updates, Newegg newsletters, monitor alerts from Pingdom or basicstate, etc. It makes it difficult because I have to whitelist those types of things. Sometimes those things are marked hard spam, and sometimes they go into the inbox. It is inconsistent.

About a month ago, I was getting 8-12 spam messages a day going straight to the inbox. George and their support have been great in working with us, but I feel there could be some improvement there.

Great service, great support, spam filtering leaves something to be desired for me.
scott2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2020 View Post
I have been struggling with Polarismail's spam filters.

Great service, great support, spam filtering leaves something to be desired for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Let us know if things improve.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Clive T

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Let us know if things improve.
Don't understand this. Your original post implies that you haven't used PolarisMail and just wanted a view. Do you have a particular issue with their mail system after using it?

I'm sure they'd be delighted to help you.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

The proof of the pudding.

If you haven't actually used this provider, you will need to test it to see how it works for you.

We all know that where one person may get a lot of spam, whilst another person gets none - and using the same provider.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive T View Post
Don't understand this. Your original post implies that you haven't used PolarisMail and just wanted a view. Do you have a particular issue with their mail system after using it?

I'm sure they'd be delighted to help you.
What's so hard to understand? I was asking for a personal review (about spam filters) and got one. I thanked that person who responded and asked him to follow up if things changed for him. His personal experience with spam happened to not be ideal. I just quoted a part of his message to make it clear I was responding to his post.

I was just looking for first hand experience with their anti-spam.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 10:17 PM   #9
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Well, thank you so very much for your insightful response. A little condescending.

I was planning to open a trial account with Polarismail and wanted some feedback from their customers. Specifically about their spam filters.

One customer's experience with their anti-spam happened to not be as great as they had hoped.

It seems as if it has been taken as criticism of Polarismail by ME. How that happen I don't know since I wasn't the one who stated they had a problem with their spam filters. I did quote the original statement and specifically asked that they post a follow up if their spam issue changes.

BTW,

I'm still planning on opening a trial account with Polarismail. I'm aware that single negative experience with a provider isn't a basis for dismissing them as an option. The majority of the feedback for Polarismail has been very positive. Especially the customers service.

While searching the forums here (and the web) I couldn't find any personal feedback on Polarismail's spam filters. So, I posted a message asking for some. I was just doing my due diligence.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 02:50 AM   #10
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Well, thank you so very much for your insightful response.
You're most welcome.

When you do complete your planning, and eventually do sign up for a trial account, please be sure to report back here with your first hand experience of the anti-spam.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Clive T

Quote:
What's so hard to understand? I was asking for a personal review (about spam filters) and got one.
I was just looking for first hand experience with their anti-spam.
You know, rather than get defensive about the responses you've received it would be better and more productive for you to create a trial account with PolarisMail, try the service for yourself and make your own mind up based on your actual experience.

Good luck.

Last edited by Clive T : 15 Sep 2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 15 Sep 2013, 10:36 PM   #12
malcontent
Essential Contributor

Quote:
You know, rather than get defensive about the responses you've received it would be better and more productive for you to create a trial account with PolarisMail, try the service for yourself and make your own mind up based on your actual experience.

Good luck.
The defensiveness came from others in this thread from a perceived criticism of Polarismail on my part. Which is silly because I've never said anything negative about Polarismail. I merely quote someone who was experiencing problems with spam with their account.

I believe I already stated in this thread that my intent was to open a trial account at some point after doing some research about Polarismail spam filters. In my searches, I've found very little reviews about Polarismail's spam filters. In order to do the research I have to ask for feedback and so far have received a few informative ones (which I'm thankful for).

Quote:
I still don't understand this response of yours. I believe I was clear I wanted a review of Polarismail spam filters.

Last edited by malcontent : 15 Sep 2013 at 11:25 PM.