EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Oct 2008, 04:55 AM   #16
purzel

The old interface surely was something special in that it was so anachronistic and raw. I always liked it. My own special place on the internets.

That being said, I rather have them working on one interface and get that right. Now that they went this way it would be stupid to fumble around with two interfaces, given the limited resources. In a few months the new interface will rule. The bugs will be worked out and people will be able to tweak it to their liking.
purzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 01:40 PM   #17
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

I of course like the current interface compared with the "gmail jr" one that is being tested currently.

I also had not read the "won't fix" area until just now and I have to add that to me it seems somewhat arrogant and shortsighted to only offer one option (especially when the new option is exactly opposite from what is now offered) instead of offering both options - by this I mean the total amount of messages in a folder displayed vs only new ones. Logging into my Squirrelmail I see that it only shows the number new messages, and not the total number of messages. Why would paying customers want to take a step away from what is now at Fastmail to go to how Squirrelmail does it?
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 04:48 PM   #18
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

where is the won't fix area ? thanks....

are they going to show the number of e-mails in each folder without hovering my mouse ?
will they remove my name on the main mail page ?
Css for IE ?

Last edited by Terry : 21 Oct 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 04:58 PM   #19
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
where is the won't fix area ?
Here you go Terry. The won't fix area is at the bottom.

NewInterfaceBugs

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 05:09 PM   #20
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Sherry.....wow what a lot of complicated work.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 05:18 PM   #21
Sherry

Yes, they've been working hard. One of the things you asked (folder counts) I think is on the won't fix but I wouldn't worry about them not giving us CSS for all the browsers. They made it clear during the mock-ups that we would be able to add a lot of stuff in CSS. I'm "sure" the folder count will be one of them because the ad-on for FF is already doing that and removing the email from the UI.

Sherry
Old 21 Oct 2008, 06:01 PM   #22
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

yes I look for changes every day but in the end I'm sure it will be ok....I just get fed up that everything is in FF.....the new IE pro7 runs rings round that, lets hope they have a look at it one day....
Old 21 Oct 2008, 07:10 PM   #23
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
everything is in FF.....the new IE pro7 runs rings round that
If this argument wasn't so off topic, I think you'd have quite a few people passionately disagreeing (myself included).
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
If this argument wasn't so off topic, I think you'd have quite a few people passionately disagreeing (myself included).
If this thread were to stray OT, I'd strongly agree with sflorack

but I know we need to stay on subject
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 07:33 PM   #25
Sherry

Quote:
I just get fed up that everything is in FF.....the new IE pro7 runs rings round that
Well, I certainly don't want to take this OT so I won't say I totally agree with that (even if I do)
Old 21 Oct 2008, 07:46 PM   #26
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Have you tried the Pro 7 add on ? its excellent.

Sorry yes OT but I thought that is what a forum is for
Old 22 Oct 2008, 04:06 AM   #27
theDuke
Essential Contributor

I get a little tired of all this: 'I don't like the new interface' responses.
If you can't handle beta's, don't look at them ! wait till its finished and then criticize it.. (if you feel like it).
Beta's are not finished products ! beta's are beta's.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 04:45 AM   #28
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I don't see a problem with like/dislike comments as long as the commenter 1) understands (as you mention) that it's a beta product and subject to change and 2) provides constructive criticism for future changes/enhancements.

Only good things come out of user recommendations. I think we're fortunate to have some impact on the development of an email product.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 04:53 AM   #29
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes I am well aware its still in beta....I'm just stating what I don.t like and by doing this I hope it may get fixed as I have 4 major issues with it.

my name is displayed in the login page I use internet cafe's
the number of e-mails is not shown....I don't want to hover my mouse over.
CSS is only available in FF
no style sheets.

Yes if I don't like it then perhaps I should move on.....but I have been with f/m for 6 years I like the excellent service I just hate the new UI I grew up with the old one....
Old 22 Oct 2008, 05:02 AM   #30
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Yes I am well aware its still in beta....I'm just stating what I don.t like and by doing this I hope it may get fixed as I have 4 major issues with it.

my name is displayed in the login page I use internet cafe's
the number of e-mails is not shown....I don't want to hover my mouse over.
CSS is only available in FF
no style sheets.

Yes if I don't like it then perhaps I should move on.....but I have been with f/m for 6 years I like the excellent service I just hate the new UI I grew up with the old one....
I think the point theDuke is trying to make is that you have options. If you don't want your email address exposed in cafes, don't use the beta interface. FM doesn't force you to use it..

Stylesheets will be introduced eventually.

The inability of your browser to alter CSS isn't a fault of FM; if you want to modify CSS get Firefox or find an alternative solution. (This will also address your hovering concern.)