EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 23 Feb 2016, 01:02 AM   #1
ruiandrade93

Alias vs Profile

Apologies for asking this, but it's confusing me for some reason.

I have read this on Runbox's page, but still couldn't understand completely the real differences. I have my own domain now and just wand to send/receive emails from it and already configured the domain on my runbox account. OK.

What I need is 3 emails from that domain and I can't decide if I should either configure 3xAlias on the main account for that domain or if I need to configure a new profile just for that.

Thanks.

Last edited by ruiandrade93 : 23 Feb 2016 at 06:46 PM.
ruiandrade93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Feb 2016, 02:58 AM   #2
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi,

Profiles have nothing to do with receiving email; they are a way to send from other addresses your own whether they are on your domain or not (i.e. a work address). In other words, setting up a Profile does not enable your account to receive on the address in the Profile; only send from that address.

If you have catch-all for your domain activated you could use Profiles so that you can send from your desired addresses. These are set up on folders as you have probably read. This is useful if you want to filter emails to different addresses to different folders and then reply from the correct address. You wouldn't need aliases as your account will receive all email to anything@domainyouown.com

If you haven't got catch-all set up, then you will need to set up aliases otherwise mail to any address other than the main address on the account will bounce. You can still use Profiles in conjunction with aliases for the purpose of filtering mail (or any other reason you can think of).

I hope that helps.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2016, 05:42 AM   #3
ruiandrade93

So a Profile allows me to reply to emails using the very email they were directed to in the first place, just by hitting reply I guess? I can also use particular inbox settings like a specific signature for that email alone. All email received for that domain will go directly into the created folder. If I don't have the "catch-all" feature activated I'll still have to create a main Alias for the Profile.

With an Alias, email arrives to the main runbox account as usual and when I want to reply to an email I have to take care to actually select the alias I want to use to reply instead of being automatic. The signature is the same to all Alias of the account?

Last edited by ruiandrade93 : 24 Feb 2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 06:33 AM   #4
dbowdley

Representative of:
Runbox.com
That's mostly correct, yes. Profiles don't automatically collect email for that address, you still need to use a filter to move email sent to that alias to the folder.

All profiles and aliases are available for selection from the "From" drop down menu, so you can mix and match what you use for a reply as necessary. We plan to make the selection of the correct alias when replying automatic in the future as well.

Yes, profiles can have a different Name and Signature to aliases. All aliases have the default Inbox name and Signature. You can of course create a Profile for an alias and have the best of both worlds.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 03:26 PM   #5
ruiandrade93

@dbowdley I would also like to ask about Filters by the way.

I have set up a few, but nothing is getting sorted in the proper folders so far and I'm following the help document.

The thing is I am using my main account for these filters so far. Is it mandatory to create an Alias to receive an email on a certain folder?

Also is there a way to move folders after they were created? Righ now it seems I can only decide their location in relation to other folders at the moment they are created.

Last edited by ruiandrade93 : 24 Feb 2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 03:56 PM   #6
dbowdley

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I am not quite sure what you mean when you ask if it is "mandatory to create an Alias to receive an email on a certain folder". You have to create an alias to receive email to that address, yes. Just creating the folder with the address you want to send from does not mean our system will receive email to that address. Profiles are essentially a way to change your sending preferences and have nothing to do with incoming mail.

You can move folders using the Folder Management screen. Just click "Folders" at the top of your folder list.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 05:55 PM   #7
ruiandrade93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowdley View Post
I am not quite sure what you mean when you ask if it is "mandatory to create an Alias to receive an email on a certain folder".
I have created filters for my main account. Nothing ever gets sorted.
I am assuming I can only get emails sorted for an Alias and not the main account.

Or maybe I set up the email in the filter wrong? I am trying with comma+space between emails but it didn't work. Same with semi-colon+space between emails.

Last edited by ruiandrade93 : 24 Feb 2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 24 Feb 2016, 06:06 PM   #8
dbowdley

Representative of:
Runbox.com
You should be able to get emails sorted for any incoming address. I think at this point we need to look at your particular account to see whether the order of the filters is causing a problem (or something else).

I suggest you open a support ticket at https://support.runbox.com so that we can look in to this further.