EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Jan 2011, 01:16 AM   #1
code101

Thumbs up Is COLDMAIL.COM returning to service???

I use to have a coldmail email account with coldmail.com almost ten years ago before whoever owned it at the time shut it down. It was my favorite webmail to use. I came across coldmail.com yesterday and noticed that they have something up on the website. It appears to be a pre-registration since I can't login. My wife's name was already taken but I was however able to register my address. My old address from back in the day was not taken so I got it back!

One important thing to note is that there was a message after I successfully pre-registered that said it was only months away from going live! It even had a number of days as a count down.

The pre-registration form was a bit hard to figure out. I had to sit and work at it for awhile but eventually got it. So far that is my only complaint.

I hope the coldmail comeback is a reality. Does anyone else have any insight on this?
code101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Jan 2011, 02:12 AM   #2
B4its2L8
Master of the @

I tried signing up just for fun, but couldn't. It kept saying I wasn't fulfilling the requirements for the password (8+ characters and one capital letter) despite the fact that the password was over 15 characters with several caps.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2011, 02:23 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Based upon the ToS, I don't think it's ready..

Quote:
Terms of Service

Welcome to Coldmail!

1. Your relationship with coldmail.

2. Accepting the Terms

2.1 In order to use the Services, you must first agree to the Terms. You may not use the Services if you do not accept the Terms.

2.2 You can accept the Terms by:

(A) clicking to accept or agree to the Terms, where this option is made available to you by Coldmail in the user interface for any Service; or

(B) by actually using the Services. In this case, you understand and agree that Coldmail will treat your use of the Services as acceptance of the Terms from that point onwards.

2.3 You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Coldmail, or (b) you are a person barred from receiving the Services under the laws of the United States or other countries including the country in which you are resident or from which you use the Services.

2.4 Before you continue, you should print off or save a local copy of the Universal Terms for your records.

3. Language of the Terms

4. Provision of the Services by Coldmail

5. Use of the Services by you

6. Your passwords and account security

7. Privacy and your personal information

8. Content in the Services
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2011, 02:26 AM   #4
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Yeah, I noticed that. But it did let me make my way through the sign-up page (my username was available, e.g.), so I thought it would at least allow me to complete the sign-up. And the error message was very specific as to what was supposedly wrong, rather than saying "Sorry, we're not ready for you yet."

Oh, well. Wait and see....
Old 15 Jan 2011, 06:22 AM   #5
B4its2L8
Master of the @

It's working now. I just completed sign-up.

That's the good news. Here's the bad:

Quote:
WELCOME TO THE NEXT GENERATION OF EMAIL!

Thank you for reserving your email address with us. We DO NOT share/sell this information without your confirmation.

As we currently are in our building stage we will keep you informed with the new exciting features and our progress Once completed an email will be sent out to your alternate email address with further directions to activate your account.

TIME LEFT TO LAUNCH

6 Months 6 Days

Heck, by that time it'll be June here in the northeast. Won't be cold anymore. But, I guess "Hotmail" is already taken....
Old 15 Jan 2011, 06:30 AM   #6
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by code101 View Post
I use to have a coldmail email account with coldmail.com almost ten years ago before whoever owned it at the time shut it down. It was my favorite webmail to use. I came across coldmail.com yesterday and noticed that they have something up on the website. It appears to be a pre-registration since I can't login. My wife's name was already taken but I was however able to register my address. My old address from back in the day was not taken so I got it back!

One important thing to note is that there was a message after I successfully pre-registered that said it was only months away from going live! It even had a number of days as a count down.

The pre-registration form was a bit hard to figure out. I had to sit and work at it for awhile but eventually got it. So far that is my only complaint.

I hope the coldmail comeback is a reality. Does anyone else have any insight on this?
For those of us unfamiliar with coldmail, could you tell us a bit about why you liked the service so much ten years ago, and why you are so pleased about its return? Was there anything in particular about it that caused you to miss it? Ten years is a long time to be carrying a torch for an email provider, so it must have been something out of the ordinary (or so I would presume), if it was your favorite.

ADDED: I presume the coldmail.com you refer to is not connected with coldmail.nu, which I just came across. ".NU" is the top level domain for Niue, an island in the South Pacific. The first Google hit says it is "commonly known as the 'Rock of Polynesia', and natives of the island call it 'the Rock' for short ..."; the second entry says that "Niue Island is Polynesia the way it all used to be. Swim with whales and dolphins. Walk through flocks of butterflies in virgin rainforest." Someone has a sense of humor to be using a tropical island for a "coldmail" domain. And won't there be confusion with the coldmail you refer to above? I wonder why the coldmail.com owners have decided to revive the name after all this time, especially as it is already in use with a .nu TLD. And why should it take six months to get going? Above all, why begin soliciting users half a year before a prospective launch? It all seems rather strange, does it not?

Last edited by communicant : 15 Jan 2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: addendum
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2011, 09:03 AM   #7
code101

Ok

communicant, I liked it many years back because it was an E-mail service which was very catchy and easy to remember. It was the opposite of hotmail.com. Better yet, it was very simple to use. I was not left looking for hours for the reply button mixed in with thousands of ads. I also liked the fact that it was very fast probably due to the simplicity.

As far as your concern with getting it mixed up with .NU, I think this is a non issue. When people think of anything on the Internet, they always think .COM. I don't think of hotmail.nu or gmail.nu. The Internet worldwide is always known for .COM. It will always be that way.
code101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2011, 11:33 AM   #8
coldmail

Representative of:
Coldmail.com
Post This may be a little late for this thread but...

There seems to be a little speculation here regarding Coldmail. Hopefully I can help with that.

I'm here to officially represent Coldmail. It has taken almost 1 year along with a team of 5 developers to produce a product that will move to Beta testing within about 2 weeks. I see that some people here had a difficult time pre-registering a few months ago. Those problems have been addressed. It is however still just a pre-registration/splash page on there now. The real system will be active in about two months once all testing is complete.

Our webmail system will support new and unique features including the ability to protect younger users and adults alike form all of the inappropriate content and solicitations on the web.

In the meantime, I would like to encourage everyone who reads this to visit our website, www.coldmail.com and pre-register so you can reserve your @coldmail.com address before all the good ones are taken. Please spread the word.

You can also visit our new facebook page at Coldmail, Next Generation E-mail Service | Facebook You will be able to keep up to date with our development as well as make suggestions.
coldmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2011, 05:44 PM   #9
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmail View Post
There seems to be a little speculation here regarding Coldmail. Hopefully I can help with that.

I'm here to officially represent Coldmail. It has taken almost 1 year along with a team of 5 developers to produce a product that will move to Beta testing within about 2 weeks. I see that some people here had a difficult time pre-registering a few months ago. Those problems have been addressed. It is however still just a pre-registration/splash page on there now. The real system will be active in about two months once all testing is complete.

Our webmail system will support new and unique features including the ability to protect younger users and adults alike form all of the inappropriate content and solicitations on the web.

In the meantime, I would like to encourage everyone who reads this to visit our website, www.coldmail.com and pre-register so you can reserve your @coldmail.com address before all the good ones are taken. Please spread the word.

You can also visit our new facebook page at Coldmail, Next Generation E-mail Service | Facebook You will be able to keep up to date with our development as well as make suggestions.
Due to an error in your system I was not able to register.
See here: http://justpaste.it/ajf
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2011, 06:14 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Got the same error.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Is the new service run by the same people who let the "old" Coldmail.com cease to exist? If yes, why reviving it and how will you guarantee it won't cease operations again after a short while? Of course if the owners are not linked with the old Coldmail service, the above question becomes irrelevant.

@ Communicant : while .NU in theory stands for Niue, it is used by sites of whom 99% are not even remotely related to the island. Just like most .tv sites are not related to Tuvalu by any means. "Nu" is Dutch for "now" and I believe in Swedish and Norwegian it is translated as "now" or "new" ... Hence the domain is relatively popular in the Benelux and Scandinavia. So I don't think you should link Coldmail.nu (and especially not the "cold" ) to Niue itself but more like "coldmail NOW". As Niue is a very small and sparsely populated island, I'd be surprised there is any mail service existing on the island itself. I also don't think any confusion between the .com and .nu will arise, since indeed many people think in .com ; I'd be more worried to use the .nu variant and make sure people remember to type .nu instead of a more common extention.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

PS: must admit I like the sign-up page of coldmail.com with the snow-like decoration
Old 19 Apr 2011, 12:03 AM   #13
coldmail

Representative of:
Coldmail.com
Post An answer to your questions.

Soromak, I will forward the error over to our development team so they can take a look at it. Thank you for that.

Tsunami, we are not the same people who let coldmail.com go down and out in the past. We are not affiliated with them in any way. The only thing I know about them is that they were a communications company that filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy back some time after September 11. After that, the domain coldmail.com was hung up for many years in asset protection. We placed a bid on the name and waited for almost 5 years to get it. We were not so lucky to get it at first. Another company won the bid but never got around to developing it so they sold it to us.

This is about the extent of the history as I know it. I sure appreciate the input of both of you and anyone else on here. Let's keep in touch. We are excited to get this service up and going here very soon. Everyone's input will help make it a better experience for all those who use it.

Regards
coldmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2011, 04:11 AM   #14
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks for clarifying that. Do you guys, as you say you're totally new, a plan to survive financially on the long term, knowing the competition are giants like Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Sherry

[Moderator:]

coldmail, would you please send a PM to Edwin to see if you should be given Service Representative status. Thank you.

Welcome to the EMD Forums
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote