EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 15 Apr 2013, 01:24 AM   #1
emebrs
Essential Contributor

RSS and Atom after Google Reader

Now that Google Reader is dead, has anyone found a good alternative? I tried The Old Reader, but it drops old posts. That's bad because I don't want to miss anything. I am looking for a reader that will reliably display all content I have missed even if I have been away for a month or more. Any suggestions?
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Apr 2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Any suggestions?
This has been widely discussed on the Internet. I have not made my choice yet. Feedly is very popular. In earlier days I've used Bloglines a lot. The once-popular RSS reader still exists. Bloglines was thought to be dead a couple years ago, but now we have the irony of listing it as an option to the soon-to-be-dead Google Reader.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2013, 11:10 PM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Feedly is my close second, but my first has been Selfoss. Unfortunately, you need a webhost to use it, however.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I tried The Old Reader, but it drops old posts. That's bad because I don't want to miss anything. I am looking for a reader that will reliably display all content I have missed even if I have been away for a month or more. Any suggestions?
Well it's not an on-line reader but it will do what you want, RSSOwl. It has a lot of features. I have been using it for several years now and nothing else works for me. It also will sync with Google Reader so you should be able to switch over to RSSOwl with little problems.

Another possible suggestion would be Bamboo Feed Reader

One thing you need to be aware of (given that you mentioned away for a month or more) is some sites set limits on how far back you can pull feeds for or have limits on number of new feeds. One site I frequent for example will max out at 100 new if I miss a day or two even if there are more to download.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:10 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I use Gmail Notifier Pro for a desktop alert for new e-mails.

This has options for RSS feeds and Atom - I don't know if any use to you, as I don't use/need that option myself.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2013, 06:26 AM   #6
zdt

hello

is there any email service (preferably a privacy cautious one) that has integrated a "rss to email" service?

I want to subscribe to rss feeds and have those feeds delivered to my inbox instead of a rss client (this way I will have a personal and at the same time a web-based rss "client").

Has anyone heard of such a mail service?
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Gankaku

zdt I answered your post over there

FYI FeedDemon was the top of the line desktop app and the pro is going free when Google Reader dies. I'm excited about that because I can't wait to use the podcasting feature. I had it before on the trial and it's awesome. Right now I have an awful time manually loading my mp3 player and basically just don't do it because it's annoying. FeedDemon makes it simple. (I don't use iTunes - no thank you.)

I use Feedly on my tablet and sometimes the desktop. I've tried all those other new suggestions - The Old Reader, Newsblur (they charge money! Wha...?), Netvibes (still ugly), etc.

Digg is coming out with a reader, which will be one to watch.

I just want one place that acts like Reader, where I can sync all my feeds from, then go to where ever else I want and read it in the format I want (maybe, Feedly, or maybe today I feel like reading my feeds on the desktop...) Right now (pretending Google Reader's already gone) there's nothing like that.

There are also things like using Opera's browser (it works!), using Thunderbird (it works really well!), and Tiny Tiny RSS - if you have your own webhost you can host this little script on it and use TTRSS to serve up your feeds.

Other than that it's honestly back to picking your desktop RSS reader you like and backing up your OPML file regularly.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2013, 11:08 PM   #8
emebrs
Essential Contributor

It could be that I am just lazy, but I haven't found anything to replace Google Reader. In fact I have decided to give up on feeds altogether and just check my favorite sites manually.
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Gankaku

Quote:
It could be that I am just lazy, but I haven't found anything to replace Google Reader. In fact I have decided to give up on feeds altogether and just check my favorite sites manually.
lol I think you're far from lazy if you're going and manually checking your fave websites...
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 06:36 AM   #10
zdt

@Gankaku
I use Thunderbird too on my desktop but while I don't want to use a web service (like feedly for example) I really like the idea of portability (can't always use my desktop!). That is why I got the idea of rss-to-email thing. The best solution is a personal sever but that is not an option for me at the moment.
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote