EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Dec 2017, 05:01 PM   #1
anftr

Question Let you offer me alternative to mail.yahoo.com

I wish to try so many so possible webmail providers with these futures...

<> There to be more of one thousand users. If you are not able to estimate user base... You can imagine that I no need home project, something hosted in someone's bedroom, where only the neighbors have logins there.

<> Free of charge for my needs, I no care for ads.

<> The mailbox to be available to me... even if I no login inside for one year.

<> I to can receive 20MB file.
<> IMAP or something with same functionality.
<> SSL or something with compatible security.
anftr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Dec 2017, 06:17 PM   #2
George_B
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by anftr View Post

<> There to be more of one thousand users. If you are not able to estimate user base... You can imagine that I no need home project, something hosted in someone's bedroom, where only the neighbors have logins there.

So let me ask you then - you want a big, serious company to offer you solid e-mail service for free, no ads. Why would any company do that ?
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:

You could try Yandex or Zoho Mail...AFAIK the only ones (free) without ads.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2017, 10:29 PM   #4
LinuxArie

Or mailfence.com
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2017, 06:53 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

I don't see any ads in Gmail. I use an adblocker, but I have never seen any ads. I just checked with another browser that doesn't have ad blocking and no ads seen. Is it because I signed up in 2004?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2017, 01:49 PM   #6
anftr

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I don't see any ads in Gmail. I use an adblocker, but I have never seen any ads. I just checked with another browser that doesn't have ad blocking and no ads seen. Is it because I signed up in 2004?
What's gmail account inactivity period, after it, I lose the content in inbox?

I found out that it's not only time dependent. What I have to do? To ensure no deletion of my mailbox.

It's no problem that CIA spy my gmail account. CIA have contract with Google. Money come from somewhere... But if CIA sent me in prison for one year... Will I have access to my intelligence information in my mail... Of course I'm not so serious... but you get the point, long time without purging mailboxes is good in any way.

Google offer service like facebook. But I do not like this that facebook haven't IMAP (they haven't anything near that.) ... None of my local friends use this service of Google. And I no like the Google offering, but Should I subscribe for it, to no get my account deleted?

I believe facebook do not delete accounts because of inactivity.

(google offer a lot of services, search for information, mapping information what I like...)
Old 14 Dec 2017, 01:59 PM   #7
anftr

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
You could try Yandex or Zoho Mail...AFAIK the only ones (free) without ads.

Dutchie
I copy from https://www.zoho.eu/terms.html

((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Inactive User Accounts Policy
We reserve the right to terminate unpaid user accounts that are inactive for a continuous period of 120 days. In the event of such termination, all data associated with such user account will be deleted. We will provide you prior notice of such termination and option to back-up your data. The data deletion policy may be implemented with respect to any or all of the Services. Each Service will be considered an independent and separate service for the purpose of calculating the period of inactivity. In other words, activity in one of the Services is not sufficient to keep your user account in another Service active. In case of accounts with more than one user, if at least one of the users is active, the account will not be considered inactive.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Here more:
https://forums.zoho.com/topic/zoho-m...ve-user-policy

Thank you for the Yandex offer
Old 14 Dec 2017, 02:41 PM   #8
anftr

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
So let me ask you then - you want a big, serious company to offer you solid e-mail service for free, no ads. Why would any company do that ?
I agree with you, my task is not easy. But I sorry, I'm not native English speaker. I was try to say... I do not care whether webmail service will show me adds. Adds are fine for me.

Even with adds enabled, still... receiving 20MB files over IMAPS to my phone... free of charge.

My android phone is not so multi-task like the PC. I intentionally disable apps like facebook's messenger. To reduce Internet traffic, electricity consumption, etc... Deleting my account because not login inside will be very unfortunately to me. Less active apps in my phone, more well behave it.

In same time I need email addresses to can register in various websites over www. And when I need the website, if I forget the password ... to can recover it ...

In modern times... majority of people in some developed countries do all private communication in facebook. Same with me. But recently I decide to make new bank account in new bank... The bank employee ask me for email... I give it... when I go in home... I found I no more have it... ... I just registered Internet banking account to someone else... Fortunately me, the bank give me password on paper and he haven't this password and he can not use my money... But next time I can be not such lucky person.

That's why I need that

If one company don't do it... someone from the competition will offer it

Basically I need something reliable by responsible committed small company... And I have intentions to use it very rarely. All my friends are on facebook

But in the rare case, some friend need to sent me document, I to can have it. In way what consume less electricity.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 04:45 PM   #9
anftr

Talking

In my extensive search I find this email provider: https://amail.centrum.cz/

They have 15MB file attachment limit and Them smtp can be used only if you are inside them country. Even If you are them native, but go on trip to USA... you will be no able to use them smtp while in USA. I no try to search more info for them service after this. Because them language is unknown for me.

I will assist you, You can offer me some email provider and I'll test it for you.

/\/ \/\ /\/ \/\ /\/ \/\ /\/ \/\

It's very difficult for me to find comprehensive list of popular IMAP service providers. In my search, I land here: http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/

Below 10% of email servers listed there fall in the group of normal post office, posthouse. It's likely I to was miss some still working website... but after 90% of entries there fall in one of this two groups:

() Or The server is defunct, closed.
() Or It's server for very advanced users, who need website hosting mostly... and after the need for hosting... they might so well like to host and emails to the website somewhere too...

It appear to me, this list is historic artifact. I'll be happy if someone show me list,,,, it'll be better -
comparison table of more modern times.

I'm very advanced user, I'm able to make website, configure DNS entries, to attach my email client over IMAP to freely hosted mailbox attached to free domain name. But I'm somewhat lazy to do it for mailbox what I'll visit one time in the year.

I think zoho fall in this category, they concentrate them attention to hosting wikis, form of websites. And the mails are not important for them. You can however offer me servers by this category. Most likely, I'll no use them, if configuration involve more time. In most cases, I type the email address and password and my email client do it all automatically.

If I make website, I'll redirect people to facebook fan page... where they to sent private messages. It's very nice to see the profile of the sender, photos, etc... Emails are more some kind of anonymous. Serious people no need to be anonymous.

Other category of very promising locations to find good mail servers are the search engines. I just build this stereotype in myself. Search machines try to find information in every possible location where they can. Google like example. They love to scan emails of them users for useful information. CIA have secret contract with Google, I can not be sure for the content of the contract (after it's secret)... But after CIA (spy agency) is involved... My imagination can work pretty well...

For this kind of group... The information is very important... And I expect longer time... the information in my emailbox to be available. From there I expect... longer inactivity period before my account closed.

So, I'll like to point to me some search engines and I to test them IMAPS services. My stereotype could be wrong, but I like to test.

Do you get other Idea ,where can be found good webmail? Share it.

George_B give the idea that the hosting should get a lot of money by advertisement. Since in modern time, people use Facebook... It's natural... the webmail provider to concentrate them business somewhere else. So I doubt good website purely for mails. It'll be attached some news agency to it, users to reed mails, news, advertisement, etc... Or it'll be attached some social network... users to see mail, photos, advertisement, etc...

Other promising location where powerful webmail servers could be found is... Popular highly ranked domain name what do a lot of impressions of its webpages. But the mail service is not them base business, They show the advertisement somewhere else, mostly. Google like example. When you search in Internet, they build profile for you... and when you visit website powered by them advertisement system, the website show advertisement related to your recent searches. Google want to help you to find what you need... And someone pay them, what you to find. A lot of Businesses love the customers to find them.

Say me location, where a lot of advertisement is shown and I'll test them IMAPS.

Since the hosting is expensive. But for ISP is good to host for you, he to no pay hosting. After you buy hosting for your mailbox... you're linked to him... and if you stop being him customer... you'll lose your mailbox address... And if it's popular address, you'll be very unfortunate man.

Like result, its very profitable for the ISP to bind yourself to him with free mailbox on him server.

But see... After I love free Wi-Fi hot-spots... This kind of solution is definitely not for me. Please, do not offer me ISPs what are open only to them customers. In the moment I see, it's ISP website, immediately I understand... it's not for me. I build this stereotype, after I visit a lot of ISP websites what offer free IMAPS... but neither one of them have this offer for outsiders...

But if you can surprise me, ISP with free service for outsiders, let's do it.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 05:24 PM   #10
anftr

Question

Resume. It appear to me, for email provider to be very free and long term successful and with extras... there definitely should be something attached to it. Like Different business, different agenda... etc...

Could I be wrong?

I wish big attachments... and receive something attached?
Old 16 Dec 2017, 03:53 PM   #11
anftr

Lightbulb

George_B immediately spot one problem in my task... first requirement is too subjective. After I think about this, I get my believes. If I'm wrong, let someone correct me.

I just imagine.

If mail hosting service have 2500 users. And each receive two mails per month. For ten months... If each mail have 20MB attachment... all that will consume 1TB HDD space. One very small company will need to buy new HDD each year.

In same time, if on average one of 2500 users do 40 impressions per month... 10 months yield one million impressions. But after there are only 2500 customers... One advertiser will no need to pay more of 10€ ...

(no need to inform for your product someone already informed)

2500 users, only 2% are rich. We get 50 rich users. 10% of them advertise products... We just paid the HDD... but we haven't money to pay the electricity for the server.

I conclude... competitive email hosting is very expensive thing and advertisement can not pay it. The host company, to can survive... It need some kind of side business. And after we evaluate the effectiveness of this side business... We can more well imagine and be more objective about the assumption whether the company will survive after one year, after five years, after ten years hosting of free email accounts.

The company can have the wish to host you forever... but if it do not survive?

What are the side businesses of free email account providers?

() ISP (related to receiver of Internet stuff)
() webhosting (related to giver of Internet stuff)
() social network (related to the network of people's Internet stuffs)

() search engine (related to the need to receive information about other things)
() news agency (related to the need to provide information about other things)

Am I miss some profitable side business?
What to pay free email hosting?

Basically email business idea was good before years... It create network of people... and in each email account, people have database with contacts. This evolve to modern social networks like Facebook, where each profile have database with friends

Example for network of information about other things can be wikipedia. But they are so about other things, they're so far of closely related to Internet like IMAPS.

Other example, out of subject... how one business is not profitable in developed countries, to understand more clear, what's going on with the world. In third world, there are popular these Internet computer labs with dozens computers. People go there and pay to use the PC. It's some kind of rental service. This kind of business in developed country is not profitable, because everyone have PC in home

Resume: After we evaluate the business strategy of company, we can predict them future.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 04:46 PM   #12
anftr

Smile

If one company do not offer 20MB attachments, user easily can sent ten emails with 2MB attached in each one with modern Internet speeds. It's easy to consume HDD space in modern times.

I'll simplify my needs in three groups:

<> Free webmail. After I use it rarely, I prefer to no pay.

<> I get email address... what to survive in long term. This include ... the need for company to no close my account ... and the company itself to survive in long term. Weak company will can't do that. I no like email address functionality of facebook. I need alternative.

<> To receive 20MB attachment over IMAPS. I no like attachment functionality of facebook, I need alternative.

And I'll secure more well my bank accounts, if I login in each one from different email address. For this I will love to have several email accounts. For now I have two offers. Yahoo and Yandex . Target is... if someone hack one my email account... he to gain access to only one bank account... so he to be able to steal only part of my money. 20MB attachment limit demonstrate that hosting live in modern times... and IMAPS demonstrate care for the user. Let you give me idea to what email address to register my next bank account. I like these days to open one more bank account... And when I get more rich... then I can open more bank accounts, each one in different bank. If some bank do bankruptcy, I'll no lose all money.

Resume: The email address is more important compared to the emails inside.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 01:38 AM   #13
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
If one company do not offer 20MB attachments, user easily can sent ten emails with 2MB attached in each one with modern Internet speeds. It's easy to consume HDD space in modern times.

I'll simplify my needs in three groups:

<> Free webmail. After I use it rarely, I prefer to no pay.

<> I get email address... what to survive in long term. This include ... the need for company to no close my account ... and the company itself to survive in long term. Weak company will can't do that. I no like email address functionality of facebook. I need alternative.

<> To receive 20MB attachment over IMAPS. I no like attachment functionality of facebook, I need alternative.

And I'll secure more well my bank accounts, if I login in each one from different email address. For this I will love to have several email accounts. For now I have two offers. Yahoo and Yandex . Target is... if someone hack one my email account... he to gain access to only one bank account... so he to be able to steal only part of my money. 20MB attachment limit demonstrate that hosting live in modern times... and IMAPS demonstrate care for the user. Let you give me idea to what email address to register my next bank account. I like these days to open one more bank account... And when I get more rich... then I can open more bank accounts, each one in different bank. If some bank do bankruptcy, I'll no lose all money.

Resume: The email address is more important compared to the emails inside.
So to get to the basics...you are doubting between Yandex or Yahoo??

MMM thats a VERY difficult choice...

..well...NOT!!! For sure now Yahoo has been merged with AOL into OATH...

Regarding savety...or hacking..I defo would go for Yandex.
my 2 euro bits.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2017, 10:20 PM   #14
Cory
Essential Contributor

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. One of the advantages of using a large company like Yahoo, Zoho, Google, etc. is that you know it will most likely exist. A small company only offering free email, has a very high chance of going under.

What about a low cost solution? Polarismail has accounts for as low as $12 a year and then you would not have to worry about inactivity limits as long as you keep paying the bill.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2017, 02:23 AM   #15
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Gmail inactivity limit is 9 or 12 months, I'm not sure by heart. In either case, if you don't check your mailbox for more than 9 months, then I would assume that you don't really need it that much... I would never go with a service that requires to sign in each month ; there can always be circumstances in which you forget it, or just don't have the opportunity to do so. But anything above 6 months is a reasonable inactivity limit I'd say.

Other option is to pay for your email, then it will remain active for as long as you pay the bill, even if you would never actually use it.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote