EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Apr 2002, 11:45 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Small layout cleanup... comments please

Ok, I've just been playing with doing a bit of a cleanup on the interface front. Nothing major right now. No additions, just a little streamlining.

We've been getting way to many emails asking even basic things like "Where do I upgrade?" Clearly having a bunch of links stuck at the bottom of the Preferences screen has just been a hack that's long outlived it's due by date.

Also, quite a few people think the header bar is cluttered. Really how often do you edit Signatures/Pop Links/Folders? Do you really need 'single click' access to them on most screens?

So here's probably what the screens are going to look like in a day or so. Just wanted to get some feedback before putting them officially in place.

http://robm.fastmail.fm/mockup/new_f...l_screens.html

Mailbox
  • Only 'Mailbox', 'Compose', 'Addresses', 'Options' and 'Help' links in header now
  • Options is a new screen to give another level of indirection to Preferences, see below
  • Poll link now on Mailbox screen
  • No other changes for the moment

Options
  • This is the screen you get to when clicking 'Options' at the top of most pages
  • Basically gives more structure and description to the dozen links currently on the bottom of the Preferences screen
  • Also has links to some previously fairly 'hidden' options, such as the 'Purge mailbox' screen, the 'IMAP migrate' screen and the 'Upload Addresses' screen

Preferences
  • Same as before, just no silly list of links at the bottom

Comments?

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Apr 2002, 11:56 PM   #2
ajmoraal

The options screen is a good idea. But there's some much text on the screen that it looks a little cluttered. Why not put the helptexts under a '?' character, like the other screens?
ajmoraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 11:56 PM   #3
chrisdamato

I like the all the changes. I would like to suggest another small one while you are at it.

When in Mailbox view, I suggest that the top-left Mailbox header item (next to Compose) should be a link with the same functionality as Refresh.

From most other screens, the Mailbox link has this "check for new mail" functionality, but not from the actual Mailbox screen.

Not a major problem, but I often find myself clicking for a Mailbox link that's not there.

Thanks for all your great work, you should be very proud.
chrisdamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 11:57 PM   #4
jshumway

The options screen is much nicer than the current display. I think that it will really help the new users find their way around.

The Folder and Preference screens are subtle cleanups, but they should help minimize confusion.

Good job.

One last thing that will help. The folder view that is in the works. I often forget to check the other folders in the web interface. This is even more important now that we have the spam filtering in place.

Thanks,

Jeff
jshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:03 AM   #5
Tango
Cornerstone of the Community

Might I suggest that the "cancel account" link be moved elsewhere? it's just below the "resource usage", which i click often...have misclicked once or twice...i know there are still confirmation screens to go through, but still the experience was quite scary!!

Oops...sorry, i wrote that before i finished looking at the new layout...

Last edited by Tango : 10 Apr 2002 at 12:08 AM.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:05 AM   #6
mklose

Re: Small layout cleanup... comments please

Quote:
[*]Also has links to some previously fairly 'hidden' options, such as the 'Purge mailbox' screen, the 'IMAP migrate' screen and the 'Upload Addresses' screen
Comments?

I don't see the purge mailbox anywhere on the options.

It should be under actions somewhere.

Otherwise, BIG thumbs up. I like. Makes things a lot clearer.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:06 AM   #7
gpdoyon

I especially like the new "Options" screen. Very nice.

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:07 AM   #8
Meuh

Don't know if it's just my browser - work has me stuck on IE 4.5 for the MAc - but the Mailbox is ugly, ugly, ugly. All that grey . . .
Meuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:11 AM   #9
DBH

You can change the colors by going to the 'Preferences' screen and picking a different style sheet.
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:15 AM   #10
DBH

As far as the Mailbox look, I kinda like the way it looks now, but I'm willing to accept the change if that's what everybody wants! I guess I just like having everything on one page.
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:54 AM   #11
psalzer

As long as everything is still there, I'm happy. I do like having the poll link on the mailbox page. that's really handy.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 02:08 AM   #12
jhs
Essential Contributor

Agree with psalzer, poll link on mailbox would be really handy.

About the preference page, I think the input fields could be group more logically. Now it seems to be distibuted more or less randomly (I guess actually in the order they were added). But for example make one group with personal information, one about dispaly settings, etc.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 03:30 AM   #13
Si1

Hi,

Could 'Preferences' be made to fit an 800 x 600 screen without having to scroll left to right?
(Perhaps by making the back-up email box shorter?)

P.S. I'm a recent Yahoo convert and I think Fastmail is excellent!

Si1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 03:34 AM   #14
psalzer

that gets my vote, too. none of the fields have to be that long. Just make the max size entry big, but it doesn't have to take up so much screen real estate.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2002, 05:45 AM   #15
geoff2

I think the organization is much nicer. My only concern is that the revamped Preferences page is loaded with text, making it cumbersome to find what you're looking for because nothing really stands out. I don't have any constructive suggestions at the moment, though.
geoff2 is offline   Reply With Quote