EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Mar 2002, 02:47 AM   #1
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

AIM Pop3 Notification

AOL Instant Messenger has a Pop3 notification feature which I use all the time currently (not with Fastmail yet). I am wondering if this will work with Fastmail because fastmails pop3 settings use "//" and not the "@". Is there any way that Fastmails Pop3 can be used with the "@" and not "//". Thanks in advance.

- esTester
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Mar 2002, 03:18 AM   #2
munchkin

Mh I dont know what you mean by "//". Just enter your username and password and as pop server fastmail.fm and AIM will check for new email. Fastmail also has a poll for new mail option. A small window which reloads every 15 minutes. Can be found on the preferences screen.

Last edited by munchkin : 18 Mar 2002 at 03:21 AM.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 03:49 AM   #3
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

Ok, thanks. By the way, does anyone else here use this feature?

- esTester
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 04:00 AM   #4
nic76
Essential Contributor

i use a similar program that connects through POP3 every minute to check if i have new mail, works ok, only problems are:
- counts only in inbox, not in folders to which mails get redirected by the rules
- on startup, the first time it counts all mail in the inbox as new mail
nic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 04:35 AM   #5
munchkin

I use three different methods at different times of the day. Dunno, heh. I set the window that displays my inbox to reload every 15 minutes (Opera). At work I run The Bat minimized and it is set to check for mail every 15 minutes and to invoke that mail dispatcher thingy on each check. I also forward all incoming mail to my yahoo account while keeping a copy in Fastmail and use the yahoo messenger which notifies me when new mail arrives in any folder.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 05:10 AM   #6
ckjnigel

POP checks

I just checked out the small, free Swiss AvirMail program and found that it works fine with FastMail. The on-server inspect and anti-spam functions are very appealing. You can reply to mail, but it isn't intended for composing mail to new recipients. It might be a suitable client to designate in the AIM mail notification procedure. You definitely don't want to select MozMail! That's best used with IMAP.
I don't doubt that the big and mature IncrediMail adware client will work well. It is one that can connect to Hotmail. Consider it fritterware for creating beautiful animated cards.
Those content with just AIM buddies may want to check www.big-o-software.com for ver 2.0 of AIM+ come Monday 18th in USA. This add-on doesn't alter the chat client to make it anything AOL servers could deem "unauthorized." But, it offers benefits
Lest there be some unaware, www.trillian.cc offers a mult-protocol client that AOL would like to stamp out. It works splendidly with Yahoo mail notification and probably MSN Hotmail (I don't use that part). MSN connections likely are buggy now because Messenger server communication is being changed.
ckjnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 05:47 AM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by nic76
i use a similar program that connects through POP3 every minute to check if i have new mail, works ok, only problems are:
- counts only in inbox, not in folders to which mails get redirected by the rules
- on startup, the first time it counts all mail in the inbox as new mail
Checking your mail every minute using POP puts a huge load on our server. If possible, use IMAP instead. If you leave an IMAP client open showing the Inbox, it will tell you *instantly* an email arrives, without having to set it to check every x minutes. With IMAP, a connection is left open to the server permanently and the server then notifies your PC when mail arrives, rather than waiting for your PC to ask.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2002, 07:34 AM   #8
psalzer

I was using e-prompter prior to switching to Fastmail. I gathered from something or other on Fastmail's site that POP checkers were a load on the server so I stopped using it. I didn't know that AIM had a POP checker and I use AIM often. I don't leave AIM open all the time, though, so I don't like using that for mail notification. I've found the Poll for New mail thingy to be plenty of notification for me and with an enhanced account it can check every five minutes. That's about all I can handle anyway.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 02:47 AM   #9
nic76
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Checking your mail every minute using POP puts a huge load on our server. If possible, use IMAP instead. If you leave an IMAP client open showing the Inbox, it will tell you *instantly* an email arrives, without having to set it to check every x minutes. With IMAP, a connection is left open to the server permanently and the server then notifies your PC when mail arrives, rather than waiting for your PC to ask.
i checked my resource usage and using this didn't seem to use much bandwith, so i thought it was no problem

the advantage of the program i'm using is that at the moment there's new mail when i'm online, a icon starts flashing in the taskbar, is something like this possible via an imap connection?
Old 19 Mar 2002, 03:13 AM   #10
munchkin

you might want to try this : http://www.vandyke.com/download/imapnotify/index.html
raspal mentioned it awhile ago but i havent tried it myself yet so I cant tell if an icon starts flashing etc.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 03:52 AM   #11
nic76
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by munchkin
you might want to try this : http://www.vandyke.com/download/imapnotify/index.html
raspal mentioned it awhile ago but i havent tried it myself yet so I cant tell if an icon starts flashing etc.
thanks, i've installed it, i'll try it out to see how it works out...

but i don't understand why this should be 'lighter' for fastmail, apparently it still checks every minute (or whatever time you select)
Old 19 Mar 2002, 04:05 AM   #12
munchkin

I don't really know either since I don't use POP, Imap much but like Jeremy said :

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
With IMAP, a connection is left open to the server permanently and the server then notifies your PC when mail arrives, rather than waiting for your PC to ask.
It seems that the IMAP client or checker doesn't really check but only keeps the connection established somehow (every 15 minutes or 1 minute in your case) and the server sends out notifications...or so..heh.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 04:12 AM   #13
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by nic76
i checked my resource usage and [checking POP mail every minute] didn't seem to use much bandwith, so i thought it was no problem
I'm rather curious as to why anyone would feel the need for a POP check every minute — the usual default is once every ten minutes...

As Jeremy has said, IMAP makes this question rather redundant anyway...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 04:18 AM   #14
jshumway

I notice that the Mozilla email client offers to check your email every X minutes too. Does anyone know if Mozilla is connecting to an IMAP server, will act like in the fashion that Jeremy mentioned?

Quote:
With IMAP, a connection is left open to the server permanently and the server then notifies your PC when mail arrives, rather than waiting for your PC to ask.
Thanks,

Jeff
jshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 04:27 AM   #15
nic76
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
I'm rather curious as to why anyone would feel the need for a POP check every minute — the usual default is once every ten minutes...
that's only when i'm working on my pc, especially if i'm expeting a (reply) mail, which is most of the time
i guess email is my most import means of communications, next real life talking
i guess you can compare it with mobile phones: a lot of people feel the urges to answer a call every time it rings, even if they are in the middle of a converstation, that's something i would never do, i can always check my voicemail later on