EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jan 2004, 12:40 AM   #1
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Helping Hand project

Hello All,

As some of you might still remember there used to be a Fastmail Account Give-away effort, ran by GPDoyon (Gerry). This project had the noble goal of giving away Member accounts (one time $14,95) to people who need them, and cannot afford them on their own.

Yesterday during a discussion on this very Forum I brought up the Project again, and realized it's been very quiet around it. That's a shame, I thought, so I send Gerry a PM to inquire regarding the status of the project. I soon learned that due to changed personal circumstances he's looking for someone else to take over the baton for this project, and revive it.

So... this is an open sollicitation of sorts, and a place for discussion regarding the project. Do we have someone willing to take over this project?

Here are some points that I think someone should meet, to be considered, but feel free to add your own, or critique mine.
[list=1][*]Should be a fairly longstanding member of the FM community.[*]Should have earned the trust and respect of the FM community.[*]Should have the zeal and spirit to make this project a succes.[/list=1]

Of course the decision of who it becomes would be with GPDoyon, as he's the founder and keeper of the project at the moment, but I think it's a good thing to have an open discussion about possible future Helping Hands.

--K

Last edited by kander : 3 Jan 2004 at 04:58 AM.
kander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jan 2004, 02:17 AM   #2
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

What does it entail?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 02:39 AM   #3
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Do you mean the job or the project itself?

As for the job, I think that it consists mainly of the following, but GPDoyon might be able to shed more light on this:[list=1][*]Providing a means of collecting donations (paypal? checks?)[*]Making people aware of the project, doing fundraising work (posting on this forum about it, for example)[*]Review applications for a Member account (you'll not be able to give an account to everyone, so you'd need to make some kind of selection)[/list=1]
Old 3 Jan 2004, 02:53 AM   #4
camner

Sorry, I meant the job...I think I understand the project, and think it is absolutely wonderful.

I would certainly be willing to help with this. If more than 1 person were interested, it could be done as a group effort, I suppose.

I would be interested in learning a little more about the logistics. I understand the need to set up a bank account and a paypal account linked to it, and would be more than willing to do that part of it.

Here are some of the questions that come to mind:

1. Aside from posting on this Board, are there any other ways in which fundraising is (should be) done?

2. How are applications solicited?

3. How are applications evaluated?
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:12 AM   #5
Sherry

Re: Helping Hand project

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
So... this is an open sollicitation of sorts, and a place for discussion regarding the project. Do we have someone willing to take over this project?
This is nothing against camner's offer but just thought I'd ask about you kander. You fit your own idea of what should be required to do the job (1, 2 and 3)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:34 AM   #6
camner

No offense taken at all. I absolutely agree that kander trumps camner on all of the three points (not to sell myself short, but I can't compare myself to kander and come out on top!)
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:48 AM   #7
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Ok, we definitely need a 'blush' smiley Thanks for those kind words.

Having read your post, Camner, I think I really like the 'group' idea. I think you'd definitely be more suitable in the banking area of it all (just the fact that I am in a non US-Dollar country is a great limitation, I'd think, due to exchange rates) and you being an adult (from what I gather) leads me to think you've got more experience in financial matters than myself...

Let's let this thread be seen by some more people, so we can get some more opinions in, and see if there are other people interested... Basically I'd be willing to do it, but I'm all in favour of a joint taskforce

--K
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:53 AM   #8
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by camner
No offense taken at all. I absolutely agree that kander trumps camner on all of the three points (not to sell myself short, but I can't compare myself to kander and come out on top!)
Thanks for not taking my post with any offense. I really didn't want it to come across as any kind of "comparison", in fact, I almost didn't post for that reason. I will say that there should be a #4 and that would be, the person volunteering would have to "care" about the project. The fact, and the way you posted, shows that you fit that category as well as kander.

Sherry

EDIT: kander beat my post (again ). I, for one, like his "joint venture" idea.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:58 AM   #9
camner

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
and you being an adult (from what I gather)
--K
Well, I suppose I am an adult, having just survived my first half century....(now, I have to admit that when I see a picture of myself I don't identify with the middle aged man I see..I've always thought that was a weakness of modern cameras).

I'm happy to be limited to handling the finances, though I'd be happy to do more, also.

I don't know that there is any way besides trust to assure that I wouldn't abscond with the funds, but if I were into scamming, I'm not sure I'd bother with such small potatoes!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:11 AM   #10
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Well, no matter what it'd all depend on trust. I had to think about sending cash to Gerry at first too, but figured the same way you said it, why bother with such small amounts if you're into scamming...

This whole donation effort is entirely about giving strangers your money and trusting they'll do with it whatever they say they're going to do, and it doesn't matter whether that person is you or me I think...

By the way, I think there'd be no case of 'limited to ...', as we're all trying to do what's best for the project I think the people behind it aren't limited in what they may do, but perhaps only in what they can do.

--K
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:18 AM   #11
Chipper
Master of the @

(Delurk)

From what I have read so far, it sounds like both kander and camner both have the qualifications and servants' hearts to undertake this. From what I have read so far, it sounds like both of them are interested but are a little hesitant:

* As Sherry mentioned, kander meets his own qualications, but it sounds like he feels he lacks a little on the experience side due to age. (Hence his "you being an adult" comment.)
* camner seems to have "business experience" but it sounds like he feels that kander has a little bit more "fm experience."

The "group idea" sounds great in this respect -- each person supplements/complements each other. As kander mentioned, since this was GPDoyon's baby, he should have input as far as "passing the baton."
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:24 AM   #12
JeffK

FWIW I would be prepared to help with this but I wouldn't want to take on the whole thing myself. Perhaps if those who are interested could take it offline somehow and maybe Gerry could help us sort it out.

I'm not sure about the Paypal requirement. My understanding is that the recipient receives a free Fastmail members account by means of the gift system; that is the giver buys a gift certificate which then goes to Gerry who sends it on.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:31 AM   #13
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK
I'm not sure about the Paypal requirement. My understanding is that the recipient receives a free Fastmail members account by means of the gift system; that is the giver buys a gift certificate which then goes to Gerry who sends it on.
I'm not sure on this but, if I remember correctly, not everyone could afford the whole $14.95 so they would donate what they could afford. When the amounts accumulate to get the Member account, then it is awarded to someone???

Sherry
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:33 AM   #14
JeffK

That makes sense.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:37 AM   #15
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Chipper, you hit the nail right on the head, with your remark about me That's exactly what I'm worried about, not having enough experience in handling stuff.

I am not sure either, we'd probably need to ask Gerry about this.

He did mention he has an account with some money left in it from the project, which he'd transfer to the next 'manager'. I wonder if this is an FM account or a banking account, though.

I'll PM him

We'll probably need to set up a way to organize this cashflow and document it properly so people know what they're up to, and how their money is being handled.

--K