EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Oct 2017, 10:07 PM   #1
nudge

Safari scrolling broken ?

Hi,

Is anyone else having problems with Fastmail's web interface scrolling today ?

I'm using Safari 11.0 on macOS High Sierra (latest public release). Everything was working fine yesterday and I've not changed anything since. Now I can't navigate within Fastmail because I can't scroll down in various menus or when reading mails. For the moment at least, I don't have an alternative web browser installed to test with so I was wondering if someone here might be able to help shed some light on this.

TIA
nudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Oct 2017, 02:56 AM   #2
mballas
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudge View Post
Hi,

Is anyone else having problems with Fastmail's web interface scrolling today ?

I'm using Safari 11.0 on macOS High Sierra (latest public release). Everything was working fine yesterday and I've not changed anything since. Now I can't navigate within Fastmail because I can't scroll down in various menus or when reading mails. For the moment at least, I don't have an alternative web browser installed to test with so I was wondering if someone here might be able to help shed some light on this.

TIA
Works fine here on Safari in High Sierra.
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2017, 07:41 AM   #3
nudge

Thanks for the reply. It looks like Fastmail may have made some changes over the weekend that break scrolling on Safari when the user has auto-zoom configured. Mine has been set to auto-zoom windows to 175% for several months with no interface problems before today. I prefer text to display quite large using my large screen.

I opened a support ticket this morning but have had no news from them all day, so I kept looking till I found what seems to be the problem.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 08:22 AM   #4
mballas
Essential Contributor

After your previous post I used auto zoom to increase FM and other pages to 175% and 250% in Safari and the scrolling continued to work.
Old 1 Nov 2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

When you first posted a few days ago, I had not seen this problem. Then it abruptly appeared out of the blue, just this morning. I was in the middle of composing a long e-mail and suddenly could no longer scroll up or down anywhere in the interface. I had to wait a few minutes to make sure the draft auto-saved. Then I opened FastMail in another browser (Vivaldi) and finished composing my message.

Honestly, if it hadn't been for this thread, I wouldn't have even thought twice about the glitch. I would have written it off as just another bug in Safari, which in the last few months seems to have become the buggiest, worst-performing piece of software on the planet. I've lost track of how many new Safari issues I've encountered just recently, after years of mostly good behavior.

For what it's worth, I should note that my zoom in Safari is set to the default.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2017, 02:31 AM   #6
nudge

Yes, Fastmail support have said they consider this to be a Safari bug and recommend using something else.

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=145614
Old 3 Nov 2017, 12:40 PM   #7
mballas
Essential Contributor

I am now seeing the scrolling problem on pages loading at higher than 85%
Old 4 Nov 2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Interesting. The WebKit bug referenced above dates back to June of 2015, almost two and a half years ago, but this is just now starting to show up for all of us. I'm skeptical the two are related.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 04:09 AM   #9
nudge

This is how Neil from Fastmail explained it to me:

This is caused by a bug in Safari: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=145614 – unfortunately it looks like it's not a high priority for them, as this was filed two years ago. The change we made was unfortunately necessary to fix another bug in Safari (this time on iOS), so we can't revert this. All I can really suggest is to use an alternate browser.

Sounds reasonable enough (I have heard several reports of Safari becoming increasingly buggy) but I don't want to use another browser (yet) so I have to reduce the zoom in order to get by for now. That said I'm not sure if it's good idea to create a macOS bug in order to fix an iOS one or suggesting your paying users not to use one of the most popular browsers. Perhaps if enough people complain Fastmail might try to find a solution that works on both systems.

Thanks to all for your input
Old 4 Nov 2017, 04:16 AM   #10
mballas
Essential Contributor

Try Vivaldi. No problem scrolling with or without the zoom
Old 4 Nov 2017, 07:13 AM   #11
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mballas View Post
Try Vivaldi. No problem scrolling with or without the zoom
Vivaldi is my default browser, so I enthusiastically second that suggestion. That said, I also agree with what nudge posted:

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's good idea to create a macOS bug in order to fix an iOS one or suggesting your paying users not to use one of the most popular browsers.
I have a hard time believing FastMail would be taking the same "just switch browsers" approach if this was a bug in Chrome or Edge or Firefox.