EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 24 Dec 2003, 09:12 AM   #46
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I remember a song from the 50s or early 60s called "Donald where's your Trousers?" Something about Scotsmen and their kilts. One line I remember is "Let the wind blow high ... let the wind blow low". It was a pop rock song too.
Remember the "Partridge Family" show? Their songs were bad.
Afternote. I found that song.
http://www.songlyrics.com/song-lyric...ers/78486.html
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2003, 09:57 PM   #47
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by beeboy
I remember a song from the 50s or early 60s called "Donald where's your Trousers?" Something about Scotsmen and their kilts. One line I remember is "Let the wind blow high ... let the wind blow low". It was a pop rock song too.
Remember the "Partridge Family" show? Their songs were bad.
Afternote. I found that song.
http://www.songlyrics.com/song-lyric...ers/78486.html
To be fair to Andy Stewart, he did sing other songs considerably better than Donald wheres ya troosers... I don't know why this particular one is associated with him so much though...
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2004, 04:53 AM   #48
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I've recently been hearing a truly dire cover version of Comfortably Numb which sounds as if it were recorded by the Smurfs (or the Chipmunks if anyone but me can remember that far back — we're talking some 40 years here  ), and was done at far too fast a tempo! The latter shows that they've completely missed the point of the song; it isn't "life is great", it's "life is utterly crap, but I couldn't care less"...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2004, 06:19 AM   #49
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Has anyone heard 'The Streets' latest song ..."You're fit but my gosh don't you know it"?? it's one of those songs that is so bad it's good reminds me a little of 'Jilted John' ...remember the chorus? "Gordon is a moron!"

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 02:28 AM   #50
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Awful songs

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Then there was an earlier one (late '60s?) called First Impressions with the lyric "then you can command respect"; this embodies what I've found to be a common delusion amongst the very stupid, that respect is something that can be had on demand, like baked beans..
You are confusing two different meanings of the word command. It can mean to to order, but it can also mean to receive something that is merited.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 10:50 AM   #51
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

yeah, and baked beans can be pretty good sometimes too, if cooked correctly
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2005, 02:24 AM   #52
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Few really crap songs for me:

I got you babe - Sonny & Cher
Twist and shout - The Beatles
the average Britney Spears song
the average Christina Aguilera song

I also don't like hiphop and R&B at all, worst in this category are The Fugees, Mary J Blige, ...

I know, I am one of those fans of alternative music that feel the sour come up from the word "commercial" alone. I'm quite snobistic when it comes to music (only when it comes to music !) but at least I've got good taste, lol
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2005, 04:29 AM   #53
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsunami
I also don't like hiphop and R&B at all, worst in this category are The Fugees, Mary J Blige, ...
I take it (and indeed hope) that you're referring to whatever rubbish is called "R&B" nowadays, and not the original R&B as typified by Led Zeppelin, early Beatles, the original Fleetwood Mac (especially Oh Well — the full 9-minute version), etc...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2005, 07:09 AM   #54
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Yeah, I mean the modern R&B that would made the singers of the original R&B roll over in their graves (as most of them are gone unfortunately )

Sidenote is though that I don't like the early Beatles and that I find the Beatles terribly overrated. In the sixties, I find the Rolling Stones by far the most interesting/best band.

But as a gothic and new-wave fanatic, just give me the early eighties Soft Cell, Bunnymen, Siouxsie, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, ... Those were the days and it seems they'll never come back
Old 10 Mar 2005, 12:53 PM   #55
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
I take it (and indeed hope) that you're referring to whatever rubbish is called "R&B" nowadays, and not the original R&B as typified by Led Zeppelin, early Beatles, the original Fleetwood Mac (especially Oh Well — the full 9-minute version), etc...
actually the "original" R&B would be typified by such artists as Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, James Carr, Jimmy Ruffin etc etc...or to get even more "original" than that, by Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker etc etc
Old 10 Mar 2005, 06:25 PM   #56
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
actually the "original" R&B would be typified by such artists as Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, James Carr, Jimmy Ruffin etc etc...or to get even more "original" than that, by Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker etc etc
RESPECT!!! ...as Aretha would sing! you just earned a shed load from me with that post, couldn't agree more, I love that music.

Although genres can get confusing as they tend to cross-over, IMO the music of Otis, Aretha etc is "R&B/Soul" bordering on gospel. Whereas JL Hooker etc are "blues" occasionally bordering on R&B.

In any case, these great artists should never be mentioned in a thread called "Awful Songs"

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2005, 01:59 AM   #57
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

yep, Malc, you're right- those last ones are really more strictly "blues" than R&B...and they're the ones that influenced Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and other brilliant young British musicians in the '60s
Old 11 Mar 2005, 07:26 AM   #58
a_a
Essential Contributor

Quote:
back up on your history...
you need to dig deeper
a_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2005, 07:46 AM   #59
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

It's also really annoying how modern new bands make attempts to cover great songs from the seventies and eighties, while only few of them actually make a good version of it. Most covers can be considered as "raping the original song"

Most annoying in this category are dance acts trying to make a pop or rock song from the seventies/eighties into a modern dance tune.
I can't think of a very good example right now, but once the black-out is over I'll post an example to explain exactly what I mean. Or just listen to the average dance acts' albums and you'll get me as well.

Though, few exemptions luckily.

I am a Marilyn Manson fan so not completely neutral on this one, but I think he did a very good job covering "Tainted love", it was different than the original one, and he turned it into a Manson song rather than trying to make an exact replica of the original.
Tori Amos did a wonderful cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the silence" : just her fragile voice and the piano. Magnificent !
Belgian performer Jasper Steverlinck made a similar cover of David Bowie's "Life on Mars": just his voice and the piano. Surprisingly enough it became a smash hit in Belgium.

and there are some more exceptions of course. Unfortunately, the majority of covers don't even come close to the original, which makes the average fan wonder why they even allowed to make the cover... Britney Spears' attempt to cover "I love rock and roll" was a highlight of bad taste.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 08:23 AM   #60
a_a
Essential Contributor

you're talking about remix and ultimix or megamix. i think it's great.
exclusively for underground dj's and been done since the 80's.
now getting popular.
songs are mixed in snippets made into a medley.
i collect a variey of rock medley a mix of ac/dc,van halen,gun&roses with led zeppelin to rolling stones, from 15 minute to half hour medley.
like it or not dance music is here to stay.

a_a is offline   Reply With Quote