EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Jul 2020, 08:06 PM   #1
Steven Avery

moving my Verizon acct on AOL servers to more reliable email host

I have two important Verizon accounts grandfathered on AOL servers.

On one acct, getting this msg - after it counts the messages (i.e. signon is valid)
Connection to host broken (last commands sent were: "RETR 9995", "RETR 9996")
The other account - not sure. It seems to go through the download motions.

Probably I should change to Runbox, Fastmail, Posteo, or some other service, possibly Gmail. Since this will be a daily POP account, emptying the mailbox daily, it should be inexpensive.

This article references the dysfunctionality of AOL:

Can You Switch ISPs Without Losing Your Email Address?
July, 2019
https://lifehacker.com/can-you-switc...ess-1836075089

And I do have a Runbox account that I paid one year for two that works well. I download it from Eudora.
And I have a new Fastmail account related to my Xenforo forum, www.purebibleforum.com . Light account, no downloads yet, my German support guy uses Fastmail with Linode so it was a good fit.

So the two new accounts that hold my Verizon.net addresses will probably be about $70 a year, on one of those two. Free on Gmail, but less support communication.

Any suggestions of best way?
And ideas about making the move appreciated?

Will the old AOL servers that I am having difficulties downloading-and-deleted then be unable to be accessed? (Not a super-disaster, it might already be downloaded. However, I could try a different email client to see if it really can help eliminate any "New" emails.)

Thanks!
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jul 2020, 11:48 PM   #2
Steven Avery

Here is most basic question.

Can the verizon.net account, currently on AOL servers, be hosted on Fastmail, etc? Is it even possible?
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2020, 03:41 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

You can't keep the verizon.net email addresses once you leave Verizon/AOL. Your best option is to start notifying people of whatever new addresses you want to use, and keep using POP or IMAP, possibly forwarding, to receive your old verizon email at the new address. It is the same when you leave any email provider unless you own and control your own domain. If you leave Fastmail or Gmail in the future you won't be able to keep your @fastmail.com or @gmail.com address.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote