EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Nov 2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Okay, your analogy made me laugh.

Sad to see you leave.

Where are you moving to?
I don't know yet as its so hard to find a service that uses sieve script....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 08:33 PM   #17
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
But if the classic interface is still there, with no plans to remove it... Oh yea, and all the functionality is still there,

So, what is the big concern?
Hi China, The reason most folks are complaining is that the old interface is very dated looking. The most recent interface (that was taken away) looked and worked better. And the newest interface is not appealing to the eye and doesn't have the functionality folks have come to rely upon. There's no in-between. The other option is for everyone to use a desktop client, which not everyone likes.

It's like taking the most excellent choice away, and forcing each of us to choose between three undesirable choices. Which is the least painful for you? And that's why many paying members are currently unhappy.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 05:30 AM   #18
GinaXXX

I spent 2 days with the new interface, switched back to classic for a day, and now I'm back to the new interface.

I prefer it (slightly) for a number of reasons:
  • It's faster.
  • Easier on the eye.
  • The search is a little less clunky.
  • No more right click issues when composing.
  • No need to refresh inbox
  • Urls are automatically linked.

Some things I dislike:
  • Newer/Older is way too far to the right.
  • Missing signature.
  • Reply All and Forward should be under Reply, not under More.

One important feature missing from both classic and new interfaces, is something to indicate if you have forwarded an email. Also, taking a second look, it seems that the new interface lost the indicator that tells if you have replied to a message as well. Sending a ticket right this moment!!
GinaXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 03:53 PM   #19
gltech

Anyone fine with the new UI is not using the pro/expert features that a lot of us signed up with fastmail for in the first place. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they keep the option for the classic (expert) UI. It's that simple.
gltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 05:05 PM   #20
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
The other option is for everyone to use a desktop client, which not everyone likes.
I would, but there is no way automatically to keep the address book in sync across a number of machines; so I am between the devil and the deep blue sea.

I have used Thunderbird and the amazing Mulberry IMAP client, but settled to the web interface because it would do all I needed and I would never have to worry about my address book. I don't do email on the move with smartphone or tablet, so those issues don't arise for me. On the very rare occasions I want to read my emails from my Nexus 7 I just click up the Fastmail web interface in the browser and it really is quite usable. In fairness I must add that the new classic interface is also just as usable for that purpose and on the small screen.

My next purchase will be a Google Chromebook - the £229 ARM machine. It will do all I want. I was going to continue with Fastmail in the browser, but my mails are all backed up to Gmail and I may go Google-all-the-way. Pity.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 07:47 PM   #21
Ginix

I like the auto-refresh and the fact that I can now drag my messages to folders and the other elements in the setting sections.
Ginix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2012, 09:10 AM   #22
montmorencyfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXXX View Post
I prefer it (slightly) for a number of reasons:
  • It's faster.
  • Easier on the eye.
  • The search is a little less clunky.
  • No more right click issues when composing.
  • No need to refresh inbox
  • Urls are automatically linked.
What do you mean by "right click issues"? I agree with the rest, except that I do not find it easier on the eye.

Quote:
One important feature missing from both classic and new interfaces, is something to indicate if you have forwarded an email. Also, taking a second look, it seems that the new interface lost the indicator that tells if you have replied to a message as well. Sending a ticket right this moment!!
Thanks. I had also noticed the latter.
montmorencyfm is offline   Reply With Quote