EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Sep 2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Ceramic

How to import mail into its own folder?

I'd like to import mail from another account into my fastmail account, but I want the imported email to go into its own folder. How can I do this?

Similar to this, if I want email for one Fastmail alias to go into its own folder, how can I do this?
Ceramic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Sep 2019, 01:13 PM   #2
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

I wouldn't like to advise on the first question apart to say that one way would be to try using an email client like Thunderbird to copy the emails from one account to the FM folder of your choice.

Regarding email for an alias....

For incoming mail, make a Rule under Settings->Rules that puts incoming mail with that alias in the "To" field into the folder you desire.

For outgoing mail for that alias...
Go to Settings -> Sending Identities.
Make an identity for that alias. In this UI there is an option to select the folder that you would like sent mail to by saved into.
See the FM help page for "Identities" for more details.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2019, 10:16 PM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic View Post
I'd like to import mail from another account into my fastmail account, but I want the imported email to go into its own folder. How can I do this?
I just poked around FM's help pages and - to be honest - I'm a bit alarmed at how difficult it is to find useful information about how to do things if one is not migrating from one of the mainstream cloud/web email systems.

Still, at: https://www.fastmail.com/help/accoun...ml#transferpop

there's a little info, meant for people transferring mail from a desktop client (ie when the mails are not only/just stored on some mail provider's servers), which says:

"To transfer mail in your desktop client to Fastmail's servers, log onto Fastmail from your desktop client and drag the folders containing your existing mail into the Fastmail account's folders. Depending on how much mail you have, this can take some time before the mail completes uploading to our servers."

This - even if it works - says nothing about which formats of mail files/folders (on your disks) their importer will process. It also says nothing about whether the importer will skip past index files etc that might also be in the same disk folders. It says nothing about whether it expects the folders you drag to contain one file per mail, or whether it can cope with files which contain many mails - and if so which ways of delimiting/separating those mails it understands.

I think you'll need to raise a support ticket with FM.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Ceramic

It turned out to be not too difficult. The default IMAP settings discovered by the Fastmail software did not work. But my other provider did offer some other ports and one of them worked.
Ceramic is offline   Reply With Quote