EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Oct 2014, 02:03 PM   #256
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
my Apple Mail installation on OS 10.10 outright rejects that it is an Exchange server.
That's because "Exchange server" and "Activesync" are different things. Stupid, but that's Microsoft for you. OSX Mail only supports the former, not the latter. I have no idea why iOS Mail and Contacts support Actvesync but OSX Mail and Contacts don't. To get desktop sync you have to keep your contacts in iCloud.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2014, 02:12 AM   #257
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Is it my imagination or what?

Did mxroute.org Beta accounts have filtering capability, whereas mxroute.com accounts don't?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2014, 02:31 AM   #258
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Is it my imagination or what?

Did mxroute.org Beta accounts have filtering capability, whereas mxroute.com accounts don't?
You are correct. On the mxroute.org beta the back end configuration was a bit different. Right now Exim is actually playing the LDA role where Dovecot performed that task on mxroute.org. This is one feature that remains on my development list, but it is basically restructuring the flow of the e-mail system to accommodate it, the key being not to interrupt live services.

To help push along solid feature additions, I've added the server "beta.mxroute.com" for me, myself, and I. This is where I frequently screw up my own e-mail in production to hammer out the details before pushing to the live servers
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2014, 03:04 AM   #259
nbarr

Exim supports sieve.
Is there any possibility that you might enable user definable sieve coding at some point ?
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2014, 03:16 AM   #260
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr View Post
Exim supports sieve.
Is there any possibility that you might enable user definable sieve coding at some point ?
Definitely. To me, it's a flaw that I don't have it yet. I'll be honest, I'm struggling with the logic of running Exim through it. So many others take the easy way out with using Dovecot as the LDA that it limits my ability to get solid advice on the matter.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 04:30 AM   #261
soromak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
Definitely. To me, it's a flaw that I don't have it yet. I'll be honest, I'm struggling with the logic of running Exim through it. So many others take the easy way out with using Dovecot as the LDA that it limits my ability to get solid advice on the matter.
SIEVE is specific and limited if you use Exim as LDA. It is a lot easier with Dovecot as LDA.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2014, 06:08 AM   #262
adamlau

Anyone else have ther mail domain + accounts wiped out today? I would submit a support ticket, but was curious as to whether others experienced the same....
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2014, 07:49 AM   #263
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
Anyone else have ther mail domain + accounts wiped out today? I would submit a support ticket, but was curious as to whether others experienced the same....
I've not had any reports of that. I did a container swap last night to address a growing number of bugs surrounding the mail control panel but that isn't a particularly destructive event. Would definitely like to investigate that.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 01:21 PM   #264
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Why is there a different incoming port for SSL? Same thing for outgoing. Are there some users who prefer not using SSL?

These are the settings I was given way back when I signed up. I hid the actual numbers. I am trying to figure out what it all means.

Quote:
Incoming Port: xxx
Incoming SSL Port: xxx
Outgoing Port: xx
Outgoing SSL Port: xxx
If you really don't mind, I will probably have a whole bunch of stupid questions like this soon.

Last edited by emebrs : 13 Oct 2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: accuracy
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2014, 02:06 PM   #265
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Why is there a different incoming port for SSL? Same thing for outgoing. Are there some users who prefer not using SSL?

These are the settings I was given way back when I signed up. I hid the actual numbers. I am trying to figure out what it all means.

If you really don't mind, I will probably have a whole bunch of stupid questions like this soon.
Feel free to ask, there are no dumb questions

These ports and the services listening on them are the most commonly accepted standards and most in agreement with the various RFCs throughout the years. Because of this, there may be applications spread all throughout that have these standards programmed in. You never know what random, obscure applications your clients are using until you try to reinvent the wheel around them. In short, making waves in that area is a task better left to companies which have higher prices and deeper pockets to fund a more hands-on support staff. MXroute will follow the standard practices for SMTP/POP/IMAP and focus on making waves with uptime, successful delivery rates, and spam filtering (work in progress).

Not to mention the last thing you want to do is screw with port 25. Although some companies are denying submission through it these days. I won't join them unless that becomes the widely accepted standard.

Last edited by jarland : 11 Oct 2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 04:41 AM   #266
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Thanks. A helpful explanation! I checked the settings used by FastMail.FM as well, and I believe they are the same as yours.

I am now giving Evolution a try for the first time. Here is the configuration* I am looking at. My goal is to do most of my reading and composing offline and manually check for new mail. Am I okay leaving most of those options unchecked?

*Hint: Click on this link and then click on the screenshot to get a bigger version and save your eyesight.

In particular, I am wondering what you think about these three options for use with MXroute:

"Use Quick Resync if the server supports it"
"Listen for server change notifications"
"Automatically synchronize remote mail locally"

Edit: I know this isn't an Evolution support thread. I am only concerned about MXroute compatibility.

Last edited by emebrs : 13 Oct 2014 at 05:24 AM.
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2014, 07:56 AM   #267
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Thanks. A helpful explanation! I checked the settings used by FastMail.FM as well, and I believe they are the same as yours.

I am now giving Evolution a try for the first time. Here is the configuration* I am looking at. My goal is to do most of my reading and composing offline and manually check for new mail. Am I okay leaving most of those options unchecked?

*Hint: Click on this link and then click on the screenshot to get a bigger version and save your eyesight.

In particular, I am wondering what you think about these three options for use with MXroute:

"Use Quick Resync if the server supports it"
"Listen for server change notifications"
"Automatically synchronize remote mail locally"

Edit: I know this isn't an Evolution support thread. I am only concerned about MXroute compatibility.
Great questions! The server does support quick resync. You may toggle the setting on/off if you have any problems, honestly I had to look it up in Evolution documentation to make sure that it meant what I thought it did. This is more about requesting the server to perform efficiently in a way that it should do regardless. I honestly have no idea what the option "Listen for server change notifications" means.

The last option will toggle this type of activity:

Off: Headers are downloaded, body of message is downloaded when opened.
On: Headers and body are downloaded.

With the option off a large mailbox will load faster, with it on you're better off in an offline scenario.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 02:58 AM   #268
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

The past few days

@MXroute reporting problems on Twitter, as shown on my EMD timeline list:

http://goo.gl/NENMww

But no one here on the forum commenting on it.

Does that perhaps indicate that not many of us are seriously using MXroute?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2014, 03:02 AM   #269
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

I'm not using mine.

The tweets (example below) don't instill confidence in the service.

Quote:
A few servers down, nothing big. Just some kids playing games. We'll be back up when they're done.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2014, 05:30 AM   #270
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Kids are DDOS attacking the service. I'm sorry if my tweet doesn't instill confidence, but I'm not exactly going to cry about it and give them the satisfaction that they're seeking. The work gets done regardless of how I announce it

Filters in place on billing, MX1, almost ready to remove the null route on MXlogin. Going up on Sunfire and MX2 next.