EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 12 May 2014, 05:59 AM   #1
DougLass

notification of e-mail, by e-mail

I'd like an account that I rarely use, that I use for "sensitive" information. That being the case, I'd like that account to send my regular e-mail account a notification e-mail (as in "you got mail!") WITHOUT forwarding the e-mail. That tells me to go to that "sensitive" account, log in, and see the message.

What are my options?
DougLass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 May 2014, 07:29 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

Fastmail (which has a sub-forum here at EMD) can do this. You just set up a notification rule, which can be triggered by nearly any feature you can imagine in the source message. The default notification message (which can be changed) has the following in both the subject and message body:
New email from <from address> arrived at <destination address>
That's all that's in the notification message. Only the sender address and destination address (Fastmail account address or alias) are shown. You can change this to anything else, such as:
The Eagle has landed
You got a lot of guys about to turn blue.
or
You've got mail

Since you mentioned sensitive messages:
Fastmail is an Australian company with email servers in New York City, NY, USA. They have no advertising and don't scan your messages for advertising purposes. I have had accounts with them for ten years (since 2004) and trust their staff and technology, and I think you will find many others in this forum who trust them. The smallest account type (Lite) costs about US $10/year for use of their many email domains. A more expensive account (Enhanced) for US $40/year allows many more features, including use of your own domain to send and receive email.
Fastmail Privacy Policy
Fastmail has a wide range of password security options, including regular long secure passwords, two-factor authentication, and one-time passwords. They just added a number of advanced security features to their website:
Making FastMail even more secure
You can read your email using webmail (on a PC, Mac, iOS portable device, or Android device) or using any normal IMAP or POP email client.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 12 May 2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added privacy and security comments
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 01:21 PM   #3
DougLass

Thanks. That's interesting, and exactly what I'm looking for. But I'd rather not shell out even ten bucks a year for an account that, as I said, I wouldn't use much. Any free options? I don't even care if there are ads.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:00 PM   #4
kangas

Representative of:
LuxSci.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Welcome to the EMD Forums!

Fastmail (which has a sub-forum here at EMD) can do this. You just set up a notification rule, which can be triggered by nearly any feature you can imagine in the source message. The default notification message (which can be changed) has the following in both the subject and message body:
New email from <from address> arrived at <destination address>
That's all that's in the notification message. Only the sender address and destination address (Fastmail account address or alias) are shown. You can change this to anything else, such as:
The Eagle has landed
You got a lot of guys about to turn blue.
or
You've got mail

Since you mentioned sensitive messages:
Fastmail is an Australian company with email servers in New York City, NY, USA. They have no advertising and don't scan your messages for advertising purposes. I have had accounts with them for ten years (since 2004) and trust their staff and technology, and I think you will find many others in this forum who trust them. The smallest account type (Lite) costs about US $10/year for use of their many email domains. A more expensive account (Enhanced) for US $40/year allows many more features, including use of your own domain to send and receive email.
Fastmail Privacy Policy
Fastmail has a wide range of password security options, including regular long secure passwords, two-factor authentication, and one-time passwords. They just added a number of advanced security features to their website:
Making FastMail even more secure
You can read your email using webmail (on a PC, Mac, iOS portable device, or Android device) or using any normal IMAP or POP email client.

Bill

LuxSci.com has similar custom notification features -- notify for all email or only based on any criteria you like, including only at specific times of the day. However, like fastmail, it is also a paid service.
kangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 10:44 PM   #5
DougLass

I was under the impression that Outlook once did this, long ago. But I think it doesn't anymore.

I guess one answer is just to set up a utility that automatically checks that mail account. But that's not optimal.
Old 13 May 2014, 02:19 AM   #6
Red_Machine

Any Everyone.net-based service offers it. Check out www.computermail.net, on the options page there is an "Email Notification" setting. Though watch out, they went into my spam box initially, so you'll need to send yourself a test email so you can add it to your whitelist for the future.
Red_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 05:33 AM   #7
DougLass

Yep, computermail.net is what I'm looking for. Works great. Thanks much. And yes, I do have to whitelist it on my spam filter. Now, somewhat oddly, although my account is at computermail.net, the notification is from everyone.net. Now, you can choose to send a notification once every hour/4hours/day. I think what that means is that it will send ONE such notification during that period. If you get a second e-mail during that period at computermail.net, it won't send another notification until that period is over.
Old 18 May 2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Red_Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLass View Post
Now, somewhat oddly, although my account is at computermail.net, the notification is from everyone.net.
Yeah, Everyone.net is the backend system. They provide a pre-made email system for companies and individuals who want to create their own service. They started back in the 90s, with Computermail.net being probably the oldest one still going. Glad to help!
Red_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 04:33 AM   #9
DougLass

It's worth noting that there are a few qualifications about this free service. As far as I can tell, there is no explanation of exactly what "notifications" mean. By some experimentation, what I've established is that what it means is that, you are notified ONCE if your INBOX has something in it. You are not notified every time you get an e-mail. So if you get two or more e-mails, you'll still just get notified once.

I think that once you clear your INBOX, the trigger is again set for the notification. Though you can select whether you want to be notified every hour/4hours/or day, and I gather it won't send out another notification if that time period hasn't elapsed.

It would be kinda nice to get a notification for each and every e-mail you get, but that's not what's being done here.