EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Jan 2017, 03:21 AM   #1
kphuser

installing fastmail on my smartphone

I just activated my first smartphone (a LG K4) and am trying to figure out how to get to my fastmail account on the phone. I downloaded the fastmail mobile app and tried to Log in, but it said that I had and incorrect user name or password. I tried several times, but always received the same response. I am sure that the password that I entered was correct as was my user name (my fastmail address).Can anyone help me with step by step procedures?
kphuser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jan 2017, 06:09 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Welcome to the forums!

If trying to use the Fastmail App, there is no obvious reason I can think of why you would have a problem. I assume you used the full username, including the @domain.tld bit.

Note that, if you want to use the phone's built-in mail client, you do not use your regular log in password, but must set up a separate App password as described in https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/apppassword.html. If trying to use stock Android apps on your phone with Android, you will also want to see https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/android.html.

I fear none of this is going to help you. Maybe, someone else will be able to figure out what may be going wrong.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 08:19 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I agree that the Fastmail Android or iOS application should work fine with your main login address and password. I have the Fastmail iOS app and it works great, but I don't have an Android device and don't know if the Fastmail Android app works well with your LG phone.

If you are sure you are using the same credentials you use to log in using the web, then you need to file a support request so that Fastmail staff can assist you.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:08 AM   #4
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Unhappy not all Androids can run FM App

Unfortunately not all Android devices can run the FM App, even though the App can be installed on the particular device.

I have a Lenovo Tab3 7" tablet running Android 5.0.1
It installs the FM app but fails at login.
This tablet is less than 12 months old from release (I think).

I raised a ticket with FM Support.
The issue could not be resolved and apparently some Android devices fail to run the app in the same manner as mine.
The solution offered was to use the browser to login - which is what I do.
It's not as nice as using the App though because the screen is presented as per a desktop device.

The alternative is to use an IMAP client like K9.

I would prefer it if the FM App worked.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote