EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 18 Aug 2014, 07:16 AM   #1
cx14c

Yahoo Mail Small Business spam filter

Hi all,

I have a website hosted with Yahoo Small business since 2002. Say my website is aaaa.com
I have 3 emails addresses (name and addresses are not real)
aaaa@aaaa.com (administrator)
payments@aaaa.com (originally a secondary address to aaaa@aaaa.com)
john@aaaa.com
The three addresses go to yahoo addresses and from there to my POP account. I have the same filters, with the same keywords in all the addresses

In the last year or so, I started to receive tons of spam style "get slim in 10 seconds" (as everybody gets). I receive the same emails in the 3 addresses. In my address john@aaaa.com, these emails are filtered by Yahoo email, and go directly to the Spam folder, and of course, they never arrive to my POP account inbox
The remaining addresses are not filtered by Yahoo and go directly to my Pop account inbox

As a test, I moved the address payments@aaaa.com as secondary to john@aaaa.com and now, the spam is filtered for this account.

So my problem is that, in the administrator account aaaa@aaaa.com, the spam doesn't filter anything. I tried to contact Yahoo, and the robot-answers are ridiculous , providing links to solutions for the old Yahoo version.

Any idea? Thank you in advance!!!!

Eric
cx14c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Aug 2014, 03:32 AM   #2
ccl1
Essential Contributor

yes, switch to something more reliable. I find spamexperts spam filter filters out 90+% of the spam (I used to get about a hundred a day, now i get maybe 3 per week, and this is just with default setting).

I never heard of spamexperts until I lucked out and went with a hosting company that offered it for free if you hosted your domain with them. Previously I was using spamassassin, and I was never impressed.

yahoo in my experience has always sucked. I only use yahoo as a throwaway account. One time i did a test where I created a new email account, and did not give the address out to a single person. within a week I was getting spam.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2014, 06:08 AM   #3
cx14c

This is paid Yahoo, it is not the usual free account.
I have paid anti spam programs, that are useless in this case
Anyway, thanks for your answer
cx14c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Just Bill

The intelligent thing to do would be to drop Yahoo for a more reliable provider. There are several.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2014, 06:05 AM   #5
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
The intelligent thing to do would be to drop Yahoo for a more reliable provider. There are several.
thats exactly what i said too :P
seems like he wants to stick with yahoo though
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Cory
Essential Contributor

Unfortunately I'm going to have to also agree that you should look into dropping Yahoo for a more reliable provider. There are plenty out there, many of which offer very competitive pricing!

According to Yahoo's website POP only accounts are not spam filtered. You can find more info here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-busi...pressions=true

Instead of setting them up as POP accounts, I'd set them up as aliases on a Yahoo enabled Small Business Mail account, more info about that here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-busi...-sln17350.html

Hope this helps.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2014, 03:00 AM   #7
EmailHosting

Representative of:
EmailHosting.com
Smile Spam Filtering

If you are able to apply spam filtering to secondary accounts, I see no reason why you couldn't apply the filter to the main administrator account.

Good luck. Get them on the phone.
EmailHosting is offline   Reply With Quote