EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Sep 2012, 09:33 AM   #16
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Seems to me that the e-mail service provider deserves some personal information about its customers for billing, customer service, fraud and spam control. For example, if its credit card charge doesn't go through, they want to be able to contact you and bill you by another means. What if your email doesn't function because of a technical issue outside of its control where another means of communication is necessary such as postal mail or telephone?
IMO if a customer doesn't want to be contacted or give out information they don't want to that's their choice as a matter of privacy. Providers don't "deserve" personal information.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2012, 12:59 AM   #17
William9
The "e" in e-mail

SethM,
So then in your opinion the only personal information that a fee-for-service email provider is entitled to is email address, of course, and credit card number, exp. date and verification number? What about the customers IP address? Should employees of the service be able to view the customers account such as look at the content of messages?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2012, 01:13 AM   #18
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
SethM,
So then in your opinion the only personal information that a fee-for-service email provider is entitled to is email address, of course, and credit card number, exp. date and verification number? What about the customers IP address? Should employees of the service be able to view the customers account such as look at the content of messages?
A provider is never entitled to such information. They may chose to require it or offer alternative methods (online or offline) that don't, and the customer may choose.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:15 PM   #19
aleinss

I've had Tuffmail for 7 years without any problems. I'm guessing they want personal details for the trial so you don't send out spam or scams. That being said: if Tuffmail ever goes south, I'll probably just move my e-mail hosting over to my web hosting service.
aleinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2012, 01:36 AM   #20
zmiller

Representative of:
LuxSci.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcsweb View Post
I went to look at Tuffmail as an alternative to Gmail as I have had issues with them today. (Posted in Gmail forum) and wanted to look into paid email.
I went to sign up for a trial account with Tuffmail as I have heard they are exceptional. I get to the sign up page and they want to know where I live, phone number etc. Why? Very uncomfortable with giving out personal info before I have decided to use them or not.
So I am looking for paid alternatives that give a free trial and do not need more details than necessary before sign up. I already have a fastmail trail, I will not use runbox as my PERSONAL experience is of slow service on IMAP. I will not discuss that just don't suggest runbox.
So I need tuffmail like reliable, a good interface, I don't like the one at fastmail, just personal taste. Although the mail send and receive is very good so far.
Alternatives to sign up for please...
Price is not an issue within reason....
Hello ibcsweb! In case you're interested in trying us out, I wanted to let you know you can sign up for a 30-day LuxSci free trial account without providing any credit card or banking details. You get access to nearly all our features including our robust Webmail, POP/IMAP/SMTP, plus extensive security features and more.

We manually review and approve all trial account requests so it can take up to 24 hours to be granted, but generally they're done much faster. Our free trials do come with a few restrictions and limitations, all of which are detailed on the signup page:

https://luxsci.com/extranet/trial_request.html

Please don't hesitate to respond or PM me if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Zach
zmiller is offline   Reply With Quote