EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Apr 2004, 06:04 AM   #1
bakedAtom

Emptying Trash in TB doesn't work...

Hi,

I use Thunderbird 0.5 (Win XP) to check my fastmail account via imap. When I right click the trash folder and select "empty trash" only one message gets deleted. The folder momentarily shows that all the messages have been erased but a few seconds later the count is back up (minus one message). If I continue to select empty trah, one message gets deleted each time again. Before it used to empty out the whole trash folder when I would do this.

My other pop account works fine however so I'm thinking this might be a fastmail issue. I have tried reinstalling TB and removing all the extensions but it didn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
bakedAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Apr 2004, 07:18 AM   #2
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Wow, that is weird! I just tried emptying my trash and I'm getting that too!

A POP account isn't really a valid comparison, though. A better test would be to set up another IMAP account and see what happens.
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2004, 07:36 AM   #3
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

I just tested this with my snailmail.ch account, and I'm having the problem over there too. They run different IMAP server software than FM does, so strange as it may be, it kind of looks like a client problem.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 08:17 AM   #4
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Ok, I hate to make it three posts in a row, but I'm making some progress here.

bakedAtom, are you using the Thunderbird 0.5 release, or a nightly build? I never had this problem with either the 0.5 release or the 04/10 nightly I was using for a week. A few days ago I upgraded to the 04/16 nightly, which is what I was using today when I saw your post and was able to replicate your problem.

I just reverted to the 04/10 nightly, and I'm now able to empty both my FastMail and Snailmail (ironic combination, I know) trash folders without any problems. I just tested with the 0.5 release version, and it can empty the trash just fine too. For kicks, I tried last night's 04/20 build, and it has the problem.

So from here, it looks like the Thunderbird people broke something between April 10th and April 16th. It doesn't look like a FastMail problem.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 09:24 AM   #5
bakedAtom

Hey LrdVader,

I was using the 4/13/2004 nightly build while experiencing the "Empty Trash" problem. Like you suggested, I switched to the 4/10/2004 build and the problem has gone away. So it is something wrong with the TB builds after all.

I have submitted this bug here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...=489733#489733

Thanks for your help.
bakedAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2004, 08:31 AM   #6
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Hmm... this is really wierd. I am not at my home computer right now, but as soon as I get to test this, and if it comes out this way, I am filing a bug report (provided there isn't one alredy).
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2004, 10:05 AM   #7
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Just to narrow down the problem, I tried the 4/12 build last night, and it worked fine. So it looks like the problem was introduced during the 24hrs between the 4/12 build and the 4/13 build.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 04:19 PM   #8
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by LrdVader
Just to narrow down the problem, I tried the 4/12 build last night, and it worked fine. So it looks like the problem was introduced during the 24hrs between the 4/12 build and the 4/13 build.
Yes, it seems so. However, it has no been FIXED!! Yay!!

My 4/17 build was having the problem. I just downloaded and installed the 4/21 official trunk build, and the problem went away.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2004, 08:11 PM   #9
gpdoyon

I am running TB 0.6a (20040420) and my ability to empty trash, and for the e-mail to STAY gone, is working perfectly.

I am using IMAP only with FastMail.

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2004, 08:26 PM   #10
ady
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by gpdoyon
I am running TB 0.6a (20040420) and my ability to empty trash, and for the e-mail to STAY gone, is working perfectly.

I am using IMAP only with FastMail.

- Gerry
I use the official build and I can empty my trash on FM and MDaemon.
ady is offline   Reply With Quote