EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Mar 2012, 05:11 PM   #16
malcarada

I like the new Ajax interface, it is very similar to Yahoo Mail, but their interface is skinnable and Fastmail isn't. I am using a CSS for my normal Fastmail account and it doesn't work with the new Ajax interface, I am not sure if the reason is that it has not been implemented yet or it is meant to be this way.
malcarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2012, 10:12 PM   #17
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
...I am not sure if the reason is that it has not been implemented yet or it is meant to be this way.
It's unknown at this point whether FM/Opera plan to allow user-customization of the interface as they have done in the past. Regardless, many of the CSS class and ID names have been changed/removed/added, so your existing stylesheet(s) would not work even if they were currently enabled.

In the interim, you can use something like the Stylish extension in Firefox to apply your own tweaks to the AJAX interface.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2012, 03:48 PM   #18
odedp
Master of the @

RTL option is missing

Compose screen is missing the Right To Left option.
The Right Justify text is available but is definitely not enough for those who use languages written form right to left (eg: Hebrew) like me.

Thanks,
Oded.

Last edited by odedp : 19 Mar 2012 at 05:14 PM.
odedp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2012, 04:35 PM   #19
astrodog73

I like the auto-refresh, but I hope that it will look and feel more like the fastmail of olde soon.
Why the need to spread things out so much?
I liked the original look, and also the look of the concise style sheet of the current web UI....
astrodog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2012, 05:53 PM   #20
loglord

I think we don't need another gmail clone and I'm sure many people would agree on this..its one of the reasons many of us are using this service.
loglord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2012, 06:00 PM   #21
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Personally I love the usability of the AJAX UI. One-click usability makes its' use much smoother and easier when having email conversations or handling numerous emails. I miss certain features though, eg:
  • Quick alphabetical search for folder names in the left hand menu. If almost all folders are sub-directories of 'Archive', it can be cumbersome to find a specific folder.
  • Attach image from file storage in 'Compose'.
  • 'Report Non-Spam' button in top menu (added using CSS/JS hack in old UI).

I've also noticed conversation mode is buggy. Not all messages from the same recipient end up in one thread, but instead separate threads are created with the same 'To/From' names. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I hope this will be perfected as I feel it's a great feature - Gmail-esque or not.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2012, 04:59 AM   #22
IanMcC2

Show Full header?

Like many others I too don't think that FM needs another new interface - for me this ajax stuff is completely unnecessary - I'm a heavy user btw and stay logged in all day most days.

Anyway - given that it looks like they are pressing ahead when they already have a perfectly useable interface when other things that are more important get ignored - like calendar and sync (been saying this for years and years but no one listens so I dont say it any more - oops just said it )

The one thing I use regularly that appears not to be in the ajax interface is 'Show full header'. I can't find it anywhere so forgive me if it's there and i've missed it.

Yes I know you can see the full header by getting it to display the raw message but this is not quite the same. Until this is available I really can't force myself to use the ajax version.

Is there a plan to provide this when already in and reading a specific message?
IanMcC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2012, 08:55 AM   #23
marianh

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
While I appreciate that lots of people have lots of comments, can we please try and keep this thread to the actual topic so that we can actually ship code, rather than get lost in other details.

This thread is a very specific request for testing help, which was outlined in the original post. The features available for testing are outlined clearly.

This is not a thread for reporting missing features from the list in the original post; nor is it for posting your specific likes and dislikes of the new interface. You'll find there are more appropriate threads for that elsewhere in the forums.

Last edited by marianh : 19 Mar 2012 at 09:10 AM.
marianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2012, 05:09 PM   #24
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianh View Post
While I appreciate that lots of people have lots of comments, can we please try and keep this thread to the actual topic so that we can actually ship code, rather than get lost in other details.

This thread is a very specific request for testing help, which was outlined in the original post. The features available for testing are outlined clearly.

This is not a thread for reporting missing features from the list in the original post; nor is it for posting your specific likes and dislikes of the new interface. You'll find there are more appropriate threads for that elsewhere in the forums.
Sorry, last off-topic post. Add to the title: (no feature requests, please).
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2012, 09:31 AM   #25
kwiebe

Conversations (or "Threads") Functionality

Using the beta, I noticed if I reply to a message in my Inbox the reply gets threaded to the original message, by design. But then I noticed this might be a problem, since my usual practice for incoming mail was to reply with a quote of the original, then delete the original. The reply (along with the original, quoted) was saved to my Sent Items. With the beta, when I delete the original, everything gets deleted, due to the threading.

Is there a way to control the threading so this does not happen? i.e., now I have to take an additional step of moving the thread out of my Inbox manually, if I want to keep my reply. I would like to have everything I send actually go into Sent Items, and not get deleted merely because I had no interest in keeping the original message I was replying to. This seems to add a manual step that I would have to remember to do, which is never a good plan for users, I don't think.
kwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2012, 06:01 PM   #26
che

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianh View Post
Right now, Fastmail support issues can be lodged through the "Support" link at http://www.fastmail.fm.
I opened a ticket (#160253) six days ago; still waiting for feedback. :-(
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2012, 08:52 AM   #27
Shelded

Almost as good as Gmail now

No errors noted, only irritated by removed features. Develop on, or not. Why bother. Put the features back, and I could like it fine.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2012, 02:40 PM   #28
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
No errors noted, only irritated by removed features. Develop on, or not. Why bother. Put the features back, and I could like it fine.
This. 10char
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2012, 01:10 AM   #29
sterdeus

I've been using the beta site (beta.fastmail.fm) for a few months now and like it very much, despite many of the features from the normal interface having yet been ported over.

Just a few hours ago, I started receiving a log in box. It seems my session has timed out and it requires I log in again. However, even seconds after logging in, I receive the log in box again, and it continues to pop up despite providing correct log in details.

Is anyone else having this issue? I've since went back to the normal interface.
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2012, 01:23 AM   #30
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Login popup bug reported to FM staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterdeus View Post
...Just a few hours ago, I started receiving a log in box. It seems my session has timed out and it requires I log in again. However, even seconds after logging in, I receive the log in box again, and it continues to pop up despite providing correct log in details.

Is anyone else having this issue? I've since went back to the normal interface.
Yes, I started noticing problems with the inactivity timeout in the last couple of days, and within the past few hours it escalated to what you describe (unusable) on a PC. But my iPad still works on the beta AJAX interface. Only the non-iPad computers give the popup login box.

I just sent Rob Mueller at Fastmail a note about this problem. He said yesterday that he had long-term solutions to the inactivity timeout issue. But if he changed something in the past few hours, it broke the system. I will post here any updates from Rob.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote