EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Nov 2019, 07:26 AM   #1
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Auto-delete emails in trash folder

I have the trash folder setting to delete non-pinned entries after 31 days and that's confirms by the extra dialog shown at the top of the list in the trash. But I am seeing stuff in the trash going back to May. Why?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Nov 2019, 11:45 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

While unsure, I think this description from the FastMail Help is accurate:
Quote:
Auto-purge - Automatically delete messages after they have been in the folder for a certain amount of time, from 1 day to 1 year. Pinned messages are never deleted.
Note that the test is not on the age of the message, only the length of time the message has been in the folder. Thus, a message from May would remain in the folder if it was only moved to the folder recently.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2019, 03:55 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I guess that could be the explanation. I don't recall when I moved that older stuff into the trash. I'll just leave it there to see if it disappears...someday.

If it is actually the time spent in the folder IMO it would be better to have based the age on the mail date to avoid the confusion I am experiencing. On the other hand I guess some can make an argument for how long it's in the folder too. Guess FM has their own reasons and they are the only ones that count!

Thanks.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 04:09 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
If it is actually the time spent in the folder IMO it would be better to have based the age on the mail date to avoid the confusion I am experiencing. On the other hand I guess some can make an argument for how long it's in the folder too. Guess FM has their own reasons and they are the only ones that count! .
Maybe it should be (yet another) option! My own sense is that messages stay in the Trash folder for a while in case you subsequently realise you deleted something in error. I actually do not auto purge, preferring to manually empty the Trash folder periodically when I have time to double check there is nothing there that I should retain. If I did use auto purge, I think I would prefer the documented behaviour.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Mine is set for 14 days but I have mail up until August 2019...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2019, 07:47 PM   #6
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Mine is set for 14 days but I have mail up until August 2019...
Hmm. Maybe I'll just wait until I know for sure the stuff has been in there for 31 days and if it is it's ticket time again. I don't want to shorten the time down in case that changes the conditions inadvertently.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 08:25 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Note that the test is not on the age of the message, only the length of time the message has been in the folder.
That's how I've always understood it to be, plus this at the top of the Trash folder confirms it:

Items in Trash for more than 31 days will be automatically deleted

IMHO, it's not worth "ticket time again".
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2019, 06:20 AM   #8
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

As I said if it doesn't follow either definition (by message date or the more agreed upon time in folder) then IMO it is worth the ticket. But I am going to wait until I am 100% sure.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 08:18 AM   #9
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

There has been some confusion over how the auto-purge works for some time.
The question as to whether the auto-purge is based on the date one moves an email to Trash, or the date of the actual email, seems to come up every now and then.

For my own account, I have set the auto-purge in my Trash folder to 365 days.
The oldest email I have in my Trash folder is dated 18-Nov-2018, except some older pinned emails also are retained.
So for me the auto-purge appears to act on the date of the email, rather than when it was deleted.

Some other recent threads on the same subject are here:
  1. https://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74084
  2. https://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74544
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2019, 01:11 PM   #10
misc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
After raising my ticket, an agent replied saying she would forward this to their developer team. Never heard anything about it from them, but they seam to having this fixed.
misc is offline   Reply With Quote