EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 9 Jan 2018, 01:54 AM   #31
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Great to hear... I'm pretty excited about this for some reason. Been a long time since I've seen a major in-house update to an email service I like. Crossing fingers they do a great job.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2018, 11:33 PM   #32
caulfield87

still nothing. this is pathetic.

today i have decided to no longer stick to a provider who's webmail is like it's from 1999, and STILL doesn't offer a calendar.

thank you for your service, my paypal subscription has been terminated. my patience has been tested for long enough.

good luck and good night.
caulfield87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2018, 03:37 AM   #33
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

caulfield87,

I was reading an old post of yours from 2015:

http://emaildiscussions.com/showpost...13&postcount=1

Your comment on Runbox:

Quite expensive, great privacy laws (Norway), clunky and super-buggy webmail, but best support out there, hands down. You get a response within minutes

Apart from your comment of "quite expensive" (personally I don't agree with that) nothing much has changed.

Well, apart from their great 2FA implementation, and the addition of the CalDAV calendar service.

And, unfortunately, both these additions to Runbox took some considerable time to appear.

Eventually, I hope that Runbox 7, when it finally sees the light of day, is a success for them.

I will continue to support them, as I have done by having extended my subscription to 2021.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2018, 06:16 AM   #34
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulfield87 View Post
still nothing. this is pathetic.

good luck and good night.
Not trying to give you a hard time or justify Runbox, but how do you know they haven't started the beta with a select group of testers?

And there is nothing out of the ordinary for Runbox's track record... they are SLOW in development as we all know... some people might look at that as methodical and careful... but for whatever reason, they take their time, they always have, and likely always will. So there's no surprise there IMO. It's par for the course.

Yes, their webmail looks like it is from a prior generation -- 1999 is a bit harsh -- but I agree it is old-school webmail design. Although I have to give them credit for a really well done TFA system (which took a very long time to release, and was worth the wait).

And by the way, if you're sick of the runbox webmail, you can use whatever email client you want, plus don't they have a Roundcube implementation too? (pretty sure it's located here: https://runbox.com/roundcube/ ) -- but it's been a long time, so I don't know if it works... but in any case, you have various ways of accessing your account.

Obviously, you have your opinion and experience with them, and if you want to move on from there, of course go for it. But IMO they are a very rare breed of product. Stable, solid, secure, really good support, conservative in their choices, and a good value, especially when you factor in the sub-account pricing. Considering the garbage that is out there for similar services that claim a fraction of their privacy level, I think they have an outstanding niche product... if a little long in the tooth on the GUI of their webmail.

I don't think it's "pathetic" that they aren't doing a massive roll-out of their beta right now... they are obviously taking their time. I think with something as important as email, it's a *good* thing. I'd rather they choose their beta testers very carefully, and take their time making sure the security is rock solid. I don't want someone finding an exploit, so let them take their time, and in the meantime, maybe use a different email client. Or, cancel your account and come back to them when the beta is done... and it could easily take another year with them IMO.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2018, 07:34 PM   #35
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
they are SLOW in development as we all know..
It looks very bad when it's announced that a new version will be released on <date1>, nothing happens on that day, a few month later a new announcement says the release date is <date2>, a few months later it's <date3>, and again and again....

Runbox isn't the only email developer guilty of systematically missing self-defined target dates
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2018, 05:29 AM   #36
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Smile Update

Thanks for the patience and kind words!

Because Runbox 7 Webmail can synchronize with your device, each account takes some time to prepare -- and we had to make some adjustments along the way which delayed the process. We have now streamlined the service further, so if you haven't received an email with details on the beta test yet then don't despair -- you will get it soon!

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2018, 06:58 AM   #37
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I have been with RB fifteen years and love it the way it is. Hope you don't make it user unfriendly like another well know service did
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2018, 04:53 PM   #38
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Hope you don't make it user unfriendly like another well know service did
Hear, hear....
Old 3 Feb 2018, 10:18 PM   #39
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We are focused on user-friendliness in accordance with modern standards, meaning we are addressing previous feedback that the Runbox 6 interface is "cluttered" and "clunky".

However, we're aware that many of our current customers are comfortable with Runbox 6, so we are likely to keep that around for a long time.

- Geir

PS: This might not the place for it, but I'd be interested in general feedback on what "the other service" did that we should avoid.
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2018, 11:10 PM   #40
17pm

Hello Geir,

I'm no longer a runbox customer, I had to leave because I couldn't tolerate the interface. Now that you're finally upgrading it, I'll probably go back to runbox as my main email provider, since the interface was the one thing that made me leave (and well, you could offer a bit more space for the pricing, but that's a whole different discussion).

I've joined "the other service" for their webclient and even though there are some people who do not like it, the majority of users think it's fantastic, me included:

- It's fast (really fast!);
- It's beautiful: Pleasing on the eyes, dark theme (hopefully you'll offer a dark theme, it's a must nowadays);
- It's powerful: You've a whole range of settings, such as side view, different fonts, different themes, etc;
- It has calendar, files, notes and contacts in one easy menu;
- It has keyboard shortcuts: Whatever you do, your new webclient must have keyboard shortcuts;

If you allow me a suggestion, please don't clutter the interface just for a selected few that like to have everything immediately noticeable, with huge buttons and easy to press with the mouse pointer.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2018, 12:36 AM   #41
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
many of our current customers are comfortable with Runbox 6, so we are likely to keep that around for a long time.

PS: This might not the place for it, but I'd be interested in general feedback on what "the other service" did that we should avoid.
For example: promising that a certain web interface, deemed old-fashioned by some vociferous users, will be kept for ever

Last edited by janusz : 4 Feb 2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 12:51 AM   #42
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Summary: you can't please everybody at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
I've joined "the other service" for their webclient:
- It's beautiful: Pleasing on the eyes, dark theme (hopefully you'll offer a dark theme, it's a must nowadays);
- It has keyboard shortcuts: Whatever you do, your new webclient must have keyboard shortcuts;

please don't clutter the interface just for a selected few that like to have everything immediately noticeable, with huge buttons and easy to press with the mouse pointer.
1. I don't like dark themes. If I fancy a new look and a colour scheme, fashionable this summer and gone next year, I'll buy a new shirt and a matching tie.
2. The basic aim of a web interface is to have huge, functional and easy to press buttons. How many of them should be immediately visible is a matter of compromise, but I will vehemently object to a predominantly shortcut-driven web interface.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 01:54 AM   #43
17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Summary: you can't please everybody at the same time

1. I don't like dark themes. If I fancy a new look and a colour scheme, fashionable this summer and gone next year, I'll buy a new shirt and a matching tie.
2. The basic aim of a web interface is to have huge, functional and easy to press buttons. How many of them should be immediately visible is a matter of compromise, but I will vehemently object to a predominantly shortcut-driven web interface.
Dark-themes are, more often than not, completely opt-in (as is in the "other provider"). However, dark-themes are more than a "fancy new look". They make some (most?) devices consume less power, which means more battery time for those who use laptops. It's also easier on the eyes and won't blind you at night. It will improve your sleep.

A predominantly shortcut-driven web interface makes it faster to reply/forward/compose emails. Keyboard shortcuts are faster than moving the mouse here, then there, then here again. Avoiding mouse use also helps with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Last edited by 17pm : 4 Feb 2018 at 02:09 AM.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2018, 02:21 AM   #44
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
This might not the place for it, but I'd be interested in general feedback on what "the other service" did that we should avoid.
I don't think that Geir is asking about suggestions for implementation in Runbox 7 - hopefully that ship has sailed, although not yet visible over the horizon.

Personally, I think that FastMail currently has a very good product, and cannot see anything worth complaining about.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2018, 06:39 AM   #45
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

One thing I like about RB is that it is simple to send an email to several family members at once, simple to set up forwarding, simple to change FROM address, simple to set up pop3, can't say any of these about some services
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote