EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 15 May 2012, 02:12 PM   #1
estephan500

If an iOS user wants real push mail

I have read the thread about Push and its meanings and issues over in the fastmail forum. It got sort of academic and nitpicky, as opposed to arriving at clear practical advice.

I thought I would re-open the topic with a clearer goal:

If today a user of iOS wants to have good Push mail functionality (which I will define as: the user will be notified of a new arriving email, even if say 8 hours have passed since the last time their email client was touched or accessed) ... Then what combination of email providers, configurations, and/or client apps installed on their device will make this happen?

If you want to refer to protocols or esoteric knowledge in replying, please make it in service of a practical answer, not just a floating "gotcha." ...

What combination of email provider / config / iOS app will make push work as I have imagined it above?

THANKS MUCH! --Eric
estephan500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 May 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
estephan500

Also, if "which device" is an issue...

Also, perhaps "which iOS device" is an issue. For example, i don't have an iPhone but rather an iPad and an iPod touch. If that makes a difference, that would be great to know also!
Old 16 May 2012, 05:32 AM   #3
gcrouse

Use icloud email or Exchange/Activesync (e.g., google apps, Polarismail)
gcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 07:36 AM   #4
estephan500

You suggested google. I had heard that advice before and configured my iOS mail to include my gmail account... there was no difference in performance with regards to push. I assume you are not saying that getting gmail via google apps us somehow different? Have you seen google have better push to ios, or had you simply heard that it would work?
Old 17 May 2012, 01:15 AM   #5
awasmuth

Any mail provider with IMAP idle and on top NuevaSync for push. Using this since February, not a single missed mail, everything pushed instantly, even message flags (read, replied, forwarded, etc.).

Alex
awasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2012, 04:02 AM   #6
George_B
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
I think I said this before, but I will re-post since I think it's useful.

Nobody out there can offer real push, except for Blackberry. Their stuff is patented, works at the carrier level and that's why Blackberry batteries last twice as long as iPhone/Android. A Blackberry maintains no data connection to the server and the tower can actually initiate connection to your device and notify it when new data needs to be 'pushed'.

IMAP IDLE is nothing more than an 'idle' connection that has to be maintained and therefore it uses just a tiny bit of data and current.

ActiveSync does the same except it also includes Calendar & Contacts.

Google Sync is nothing more than rebranded ActiveSync.
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2012, 04:12 AM   #7
awasmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
IMAP IDLE is nothing more than an 'idle' connection that has to be maintained and therefore it uses just a tiny bit of data and current.
Sorry if one could get the impression that I was proposing IMAP Idle as _the_ mobile push solution. NuevaSync has implemented ActiveSync so your iPhone/iPad/Android is connected to the NuevaSync servers with ActiveSync. NuevaSync is acting as a client to your IMAP mailbox and is using IMAP Idle to get notified about any changes which are then push immediately to your mobile device.

So think of NuevaSync as an intermediate layer comparable to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. But for this to work your provider needs to be supporting IMAP Idle.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 17 May 2012, 04:34 AM   #8
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by awasmuth View Post
Sorry if one could get the impression that I was proposing IMAP Idle as _the_ mobile push solution. NuevaSync has implemented ActiveSync so your iPhone/iPad/Android is connected to the NuevaSync servers with ActiveSync. NuevaSync is acting as a client to your IMAP mailbox and is using IMAP Idle to get notified about any changes which are then push immediately to your mobile device.

So think of NuevaSync as an intermediate layer comparable to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. But for this to work your provider needs to be supporting IMAP Idle.

Cheers,
Alex
but what would the benefit be of using NuevaSync ? If your provider supports IMAP IDLE you could connect to them directly. ActiveSync'ed e-mail has no advantage whatsoever over IMAP IDLE. If it's for Contacts/Calendar, then yes, it's a solution, but rather complicated if you ask me...
Old 17 May 2012, 05:07 AM   #9
awasmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
but what would the benefit be of using NuevaSync ? If your provider supports IMAP IDLE you could connect to them directly. ActiveSync'ed e-mail has no advantage whatsoever over IMAP IDLE. If it's for Contacts/Calendar, then yes, it's a solution, but rather complicated if you ask me...
The benefit is push email. iOS does not support IMAP IDLE (and if it would it would be a battery killer), so NuevaSync will add Exchange ActiveSync on top of your IMAP mailbox just as BES adds push email for BlackBerrys to your Exchange mailbox.

And answering Eric's question; If you want push email for iOS then you can get

- an Exchange server with ActiveSync
- me.com (iCloud)
- yahoo.com
- Google with their ActiveSync implementation (GoogleSync)
- a mail provider who already implements ActiveSync
- a mail provider with IMAP IDLE plus NuevaSync (if you don't want to change your existing provider and only want to add ActiveSync push email)

Cheers,
Alex
Old 17 May 2012, 05:33 AM   #10
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by awasmuth View Post
The benefit is push email. iOS does not support IMAP IDLE (and if it would it would be a battery killer)
Ah ok. Didn't know iOS didn't support IMAP IDLE.

In any case, ActiveSync offers no advantage over IMAP IDLE when it comes to battery usage. Both maintain active connections or can be configured to check e-mail every X minutes instead so the drain on the battery is the same.
Old 18 May 2012, 12:37 AM   #11
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I agree, don't use push just poll for emails every say 15-30 minutes that saves a lot of battery, I discovered this to my benefit when using my mobiles discovering keeping it on a constant push eat the battery and it won't do your data allowances any good.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2012, 12:00 AM   #12
estephan500

Great, much thanks!

This is clear and useful. Especially appreciate the nuevasync recommendation and awasmuth's list in reply to my question.

You know, once I had tested yahoo by configuring my iPad's iOS mail client to my yahoo mail accoint... and I could swear it did not push... But I can try that again.

Thx
Eric