EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Bloglines closing down

Sorry, it's not an email service, but worth to mention here, I think.

Bloglines, one of the most popular web-based feed readers, will no longer be available after September 30th.

Personally, I've used this service many, many years gathering my news items. Pity.
The last years Bloglines was poorly managed and that is one of the reason why it is failed now. Seems Google Reader is left as the only choice now for a web-based RSS service.

Last edited by Berenburger : 12 Sep 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Sep 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
malcarada

There are other choices, not only Google Reader. I use Netvibes.com and you can add as many RSS feeds as you like, there is also PageFlakes.com
malcarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2010, 01:32 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I used to use Bloglines, until I discovered Google Reader -- which is MUCH better, IMHO.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

The deadline extended to Nov 1.
Quote:
Hi there,

Just letting you know that the Bloglines service will remain accessible until Nov 1 - one month past the original deadline. We have built in extra time to ensure that we address all of our users' needs around exporting their feeds and preserving data. So rest easy for another month, and stay tuned for further details!

Thanks again for your patience and support.

The Bloglines / Ask.com Team
Old 28 Oct 2010, 05:29 PM   #5
nickywilliam
= Permanently banned =

Google Reader i think is much better and i was contented about their service.
nickywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Bloglines relaunched!

Latest news from The Ask.com Blog.

Quote:
Update: Bloglines Lives!

I am happy to share with you all that Bloglines will continue – MerchantCircle, the largest online network of local business owners, has agreed to manage the Bloglines service for us and keep it up and running with no interruptions for our users. That means your data is still there, intact, and you can continue to use your same log-in and password as always.

When we announced that we were going to discontinue the service to wholly focus on building out our Q&A offering (you can read about some of our latest developments on that front here and here) it was nice to hear such positive comments from our Bloglines users. There was definite interest in keeping the service alive, and we were approached by several third parties with proposals about how to do so. Given our user feedback, we were extremely motivated to push these conversations forward.

MerchantCircle is committed to providing a great experience for both existing users and the 1 million local business owners they serve in their network. Stay tuned to the Bloglines website for more updates on some cool features they will likely start testing next year.

I want to thank our patient users for sticking with us over the past few months as we’ve taken the steps to close the service, and now to extend it, through the agreement with MerchantCircle. It’s been a long road, but it feels like we’ve come to a point that’s a win/win for us all.

Happy reading!

DOUG