EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 24 Apr 2018, 10:38 PM   #1
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Thunderbird replacement

Wow! Looks like I haven't posted in a while.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a replacement email client for Thunderbird?

I need a client that supports multiple accounts with good migration features as I will need to migrate from Thunderbird to the new client.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just the basics really.

I also don't mind paying a reasonable sum in order to get what I want.

I'm just tired of trying to increase font size in Thunderbird. I use theme and font size changer add on but it constantly breaks and I have to squint to see anything on the screen.

Thunderbird really should have an easy way to increase font size, but if they do, I haven't found it.

Anyways, I'm ready to move on.

Thanks.....
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Apr 2018, 04:13 AM   #2
LinuxArie

Evoltution.
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2018, 05:19 AM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Evolution is available for unix-like systems, not for Windows.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

IMHO there is NO replacement for Thunderbird......

I tried mailbird/mailspring/eM Client and others....and it all somehow failed me.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2018, 06:59 AM   #5
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Thanks guys for responding.

Like Dutchie007, I have tried other clients as well, and seem to keep going back to Thunderbird.

I would really like to solve the annoying font problem though.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to easily increase font size so that the list of accounts and the titles of the emails are larger? I can increase the size of the email body but it's a bit of a pain in the butt too.

The add on I mentioned, theme font and size changer did what I want, but it seems everytime Thunderbird updates the addon gets broken and it takes forever to figure out how to get it working again.

As of now, I can't figure out how to get it to work. I can download the file and install it, but it still won't work.

Anyone have any experience with this addon that could help me?

I have my reading glasses on and I still have to squint to see the print.

Do any of the other clients mentioned have an easy way to increase font size?

Thanks guys...
Old 25 Apr 2018, 08:35 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

What operating system are you using? In Windows you can go to the control panel and increase the display magnification. Go to System>Display. On the other hand, I really don't understand using desktop apps for email today. I have been using nothing but webmail for the last decade and vastly prefer it to any desktop program. At work I must use Outlook and it is not my favorite, but that is the obvious alternative that is available on Windows and Apple. To each his own.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2018, 09:32 PM   #7
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

I've never had a problem with font sizes in Thunderbird. The interface uses the same fonts as every other program I have (Win7). However have you looked here?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Font_settings_in_Thunderbird
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bad_Eyesight_-_Thunderbird

http://www.rossde.com/ThemeFontSizeC...ire/index.html

If you have any questions about Thunderbird this is the best place to ask:-
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2018, 04:43 AM   #8
emoore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
I'm just tired of trying to increase font size in Thunderbird. I use theme and font size changer add on but it constantly breaks and I have to squint to see anything on the screen.
The font & size changer add-on(s) broke in Thunderbird 52.7.0. Earlier this year there was a problem where the add-on expired, and so somebody created a forked version that did not expire. Shortly afterwards the original author released another version.

The add-ons option menu works in 52.7 but no longer has any effect. What I did was switch to using a userChrome.css file to specify the font/font size for the toolbars/menus/folder listings etc. That works fine, even with betas and unreleased nightly builds.

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...8434#p14798434 (I'm tanstaafl in that forum) for a userChrome.css file that you can use. Use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to open windows explorer at your profile. Then create a chrome subdirectory (if it doesn't exist) and save the sample userChrome.css file in that subdirectory. Exit and restart Thunderbird. If the userChrome.css file changed the fonts/font sizes then use a text editor (NOT a word processor) to change 16pt (the font size) and Verdana (the font) to whatever values you prefer.

If it had no effect double check you created the file with the right name and in the right location. It would normally be something like:

C:\Users\your_windows_username\Documents\profiles\thunderbird\Thunderbird_profile_name\chrome\userChrome.css
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2018, 07:41 AM   #9
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
The font & size changer add-on(s) broke in Thunderbird 52.7.0. Earlier this year there was a problem where the add-on expired, and so somebody created a forked version that did not expire. Shortly afterwards the original author released another version.

The add-ons option menu works in 52.7 but no longer has any effect. What I did was switch to using a userChrome.css file to specify the font/font size for the toolbars/menus/folder listings etc. That works fine, even with betas and unreleased nightly builds.

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...8434#p14798434 (I'm tanstaafl in that forum) for a userChrome.css file that you can use. Use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to open windows explorer at your profile. Then create a chrome subdirectory (if it doesn't exist) and save the sample userChrome.css file in that subdirectory. Exit and restart Thunderbird. If the userChrome.css file changed the fonts/font sizes then use a text editor (NOT a word processor) to change 16pt (the font size) and Verdana (the font) to whatever values you prefer.

If it had no effect double check you created the file with the right name and in the right location. It would normally be something like:

C:\Users\your_windows_username\Documents\profiles\thunderbird\Thunderbird_profile_name\chrome\userChrome.css
emoore,

Thanks but that seems a little too complicated for me.

Hence the reason I asked about a replacement for Thunderbird.

I appreciate you responding to my post, but that stuff is way over my head.

I need something very simple. Why can't something like theme and font size changer be built in to Thunderbird by default?

So, saying all that, does anyone know of a client that has an easy option to do what I want? (Increase font size for all my account folders and the message titles).

Thanks......
Old 26 Apr 2018, 07:48 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

With webmail on Windows 10 go to Settings>System>Display and choose to change default sizing up to 175%. Works OK with webmail, though I suspect it may cause rendering issues on many websites.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 08:24 AM   #11
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
With webmail on Windows 10 go to Settings>System>Display and choose to change default sizing up to 175%. Works OK with webmail, though I suspect it may cause rendering issues on many websites.
I set mine to 150% and it helped with my Thunderbird issue, but of course everything is larger now. Hopefully I can adjust to the new size. Yeah I'm sure I will run into rendering issues on some sites. Better than it was though.

Thanks to all.....
Old 26 Apr 2018, 11:04 AM   #12
ReuvenNY

Try FossaMail - it is based on the same Mozilla engine.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2018, 10:04 PM   #13
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Thanks ReuvenNY,

I will definitely check it out.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 11:44 PM   #14
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Then won't it have the same font problems?
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2018, 06:37 AM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

FossaMail is another Linux app that is apparently no longer being developed, which always worries me a bit for such an important function.