EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 May 2015, 05:12 AM   #1
genegold99

Fastmail app help and suggestions

Got a Nexus 7 2013 LTE yesterday and was able to log in fairly quickly, but today having to login again today took a good 30 minutes and a few password changes via my desktop. There were a couple of problems, such as the ? key entering upside down very easily instead. But the one that's in Fastmail's control is allowing users to see what's being entered, and that's badly needed. I've seen two methods that are not mutually exclusive: 1) showing the last entered key very briefly before turning it into an asterisk, and 2) giving an option checkbox to see the text being entered. The first is ok, but in its normal implementation it's very easy to miss the brief moment the keystroke character shows because attention naturally goes to the next key. That's why I'd really like to see the second method too, which would be especially helpful for those of us with smaller screens and fatter fingers.

While reading an email, what action puts the various icons (trash, spam, etc.) up top? I've succeeded upon occasion, but every time I think there's a logic to it, it fails the next time.

The next thing is that in Inbox view I've yet to be able to put a check a box next to the email. Is it even possible? Perhaps if the emails were spaced a little farther apart?

Finally, it would be great if there were a help guide for using the app (not just for setting it up and installing it). How to make it functional on a smaller screen, what all the icons refer to, etc., are not obvious. I got this Nexus with an eye on managing my email while travelling overseas light in a few months i.e., without having to take a laptop, but thus far it's been not been encouraging. Thanks,
genegold99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 May 2015, 01:07 PM   #2
OLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegold99 View Post

While reading an email, what action puts the various icons (trash, spam, etc.) up top? I've succeeded upon occasion, but every time I think there's a logic to it, it fails the next time.

The next thing is that in Inbox view I've yet to be able to put a check a box next to the email. Is it even possible? Perhaps if the emails were spaced a little farther apart?
I also have a Nexus 7 which is WiFi. I have not had any problems with the FastMail App. I can see what you mean trying to place a check in the box next to the message. It is a little tight to get in there. However, it does work very well for me.

All that goes along with bringing up the icons (trash, spam, etc.). When you do get the check mark in the little box next to the message, all those icons will pop up and appear along the top. If you uncheck the little message boxes, the icons will disappear. The icons are: Archive; Trash; Spam; Move; Tag.

You may want to have a backup email app installed, especially when you travel, just in case your main email app breaks.

I have been using K-9 Mail for several years on all my Android devices. It's been pretty much bulletproof for me. It has several features for security and privacy.

With K-9 mail you can remove the K-9 User-Agent from your mail headers and use UTC as time zone in your mail headers. K-9 mail can also be set up to use PGP type encyption if you so desire. It would be a great backup for your FastMail App.

If everything is setup correctly with your FastMail App, you should be able to use it just fine. It's a pretty straight forward app and you should be able to get used to it with a little practice.

OLee
OLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 03:21 PM   #3
genegold99

Thanks for the info and suggestion. You must have narrower fingers than mine. About bringing up the icons, what I'm asking about is when an email is open on the screen. That's what I can't make any reason of.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do now, because I belatedly noticed that Amazon Warehouse had sent me the Wi-Fi version instead of the LTE. So back it'll go, while I have figure out whether to get another N7 or go for something a little bigger, whether Android or Apple. Someone told me on the XDA forum that tap problems are common with a lot of apps, but I have to see whether or not a little bigger screen makes a difference.
Old 23 May 2015, 02:30 AM   #4
OLee

Quote:
Thanks for the info and suggestion. You must have narrower fingers than mine. About bringing up the icons, what I'm asking about is when an email is open on the screen. That's what I can't make any reason of.
It appears that you have to close the email and then check the block in front of the message to bring up the icons. The icons do not appear when the message is open. Good luck with your search for a device.

OLee
OLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2015, 06:31 AM   #5
dsemf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLee View Post
It appears that you have to close the email and then check the block in front of the message to bring up the icons. The icons do not appear when the message is open. Good luck with your search for a device.

OLee
The IOS version just requires a tap anywhere on the message that is not a link and it switches the top icon from "back to inbox" to a row of 5 icons. I would expect the Android app to work the same way.

DS
dsemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2015, 10:09 AM   #6
genegold99

OLee's method is what I noticed today. I won't say that tapping in an email doesn't work; it's just that I haven't found the way that it does except by apparent happenstance.
Old 23 May 2015, 11:51 AM   #7
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
OLee's method is what I noticed today. I won't say that tapping in an email doesn't work; it's just that I haven't found the way that it does except by apparent happenstance.
There is an intermittent bug in the Fastmail app that causes tapping on an email to no longer pop up the buttons. You have to kill (swipe right in process view in Nova Launcher) the app and restart to get it working again, whereupon after some unknown amount of time it will stop accepting taps again. I have no idea what causes it.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote