EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Jul 2017, 01:16 AM   #496
Prognathous
Master of the @

All I can say is it feels really bad to be a hostage of a service
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 02:13 AM   #497
samhu

Spare a thought

Now would be a good time to share some empathy with those longstanding "1-time payment "Lifetime" Members" of Fastmail, who are being forced to eventually subscribe to one of this provider's subscription services or surrender their email address and account. That my friend is truly what being held hostage is about.

Last edited by samhu : 1 Jul 2017 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Typo
samhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 02:32 AM   #498
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
I don't have ETA. Most new features are on hold right now because we're in the middle of the technology transition that removing classic is part of, so there are multiple incompatible copies of everything that need to be kept in sync for every changed. It's really quite painful and slow and error prone for everyone until we get that cleaned up.
Having worked on large-scale IT projects for over 20 years, I think the following old EDS ad pretty much describes best what Bron and the team are trying to do here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg

The point is that all of this work that FastMail does has to be done while the system is still live and servicing e-mail for tens of thousands of users. It's actually a testament to the FastMail team's engineering abilities that they've been able to do everything they have for as long as they have with downtime that's close enough to zero to be a rounding error.

I don't want to diminish the concerns of those who are losing the classic interface, but I just felt that with all of the negativity rattling around in here, it would be good to also put a positive spin on things and give at last some credit where it's due.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 06:02 AM   #499
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Having worked on large-scale IT projects for over 20 years, I think the following old EDS ad pretty much describes best what Bron and the team are trying to do here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg

The point is that all of this work that FastMail does has to be done while the system is still live and servicing e-mail for tens of thousands of users. It's actually a testament to the FastMail team's engineering abilities that they've been able to do everything they have for as long as they have with downtime that's close enough to zero to be a rounding error.

I don't want to diminish the concerns of those who are losing the classic interface, but I just felt that with all of the negativity rattling around in here, it would be good to also put a positive spin on things and give at last some credit where it's due.
The FastMail team's technical competence was one of the most important factors (though not the number one factor) that brought me to them in the first place. In that respect, I have never been disappointed in 15 years using the service.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:24 AM   #500
Gsptlsnz

Anyone have their browser set to alert you if the page redirects?
Notice how the new interface redirects on EVERY link in an email that you click and opens in a new window?
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:27 AM   #501
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
Anyone have their browser set to alert you if the page redirects?
Notice how the new interface redirects on EVERY link in an email that you click and opens in a new window?
This is for your privacy so that the Referer (legit spelling error in the standard) header does not contain any personally identifying information when your browser makes the request to the external site.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:40 AM   #502
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
This is for your privacy so that the Referer (legit spelling error in the standard) header does not contain any personally identifying information when your browser makes the request to the external site.
tested and works.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:53 AM   #503
chickadee

I suggest that we who are dismayed by the loss of the second classic interface
persuade FastMail to surrender the first classic interface (the "original"
interface) since neither it nor the second classic interface is being used. We can
then coax BritTim out of his cozy lair in Thailand by promising him that he'd be the
grand poobah of the new venture. All those in favor say "Aye."
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 03:27 PM   #504
mmerlinn

Quote:
.Languages: classic was written almost entirely in Perl with a little bit of Javascript sugar on top. New interface is almost entirely Javascript with a little bit of Perl providing backend services. All the javascript for the new interface is new and works quite differently, and the Perl has changed from generating HTML to providing an API service via JSON for the javascript to access.
No wonder Fastmail has been getting SO SLOW. It is fighting for CPU time to use javascript. Have FM and another tab open at the same time using JS, add in the ads, and bingo load times in the stratosphere. Have 3 tabs, and everything freezes.

Too dang many pages using JS for NOTHING adds to the problem. Super reason to NEVER use client side scripting except for MINOR items, like pre-checking input. And using client side scripting opens up a huge can of potential hooks for hackers all of which require code to address and all of which can never be found UNTIL they are exploited.

Even if I could use FM, and I can't, just this knowledge would make me consider moving on.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 04:20 PM   #505
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post
No wonder Fastmail has been getting SO SLOW. It is fighting for CPU time to use javascript. Have FM and another tab open at the same time using JS, add in the ads, and bingo load times in the stratosphere. Have 3 tabs, and everything freezes.

Too dang many pages using JS for NOTHING adds to the problem. Super reason to NEVER use client side scripting except for MINOR items, like pre-checking input. And using client side scripting opens up a huge can of potential hooks for hackers all of which require code to address and all of which can never be found UNTIL they are exploited.

Even if I could use FM, and I can't, just this knowledge would make me consider moving on.
This was a reasonable point of view 10 years ago, even five years ago, but the latest browsers process JavaScript so much faster than in those days that it is unreal. This is especially so for developers that know to limit access to the HTML DOM. We are not talking about performance gains of 100%, we are looking at orders of magnitude improvements since 2007.

Whether using Chrome, Firefox or Edge, you need to be on recent versions to get the best JavaScript performance. If you are, 20-30 tabs with well behaved webpages is usually no real problem (except keeping track of them!)
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 10:31 PM   #506
rharha

Came back to this forum after several months in the hope to read about the FM/Germany situation or the new dark mode - only to see several threads where the same 10 people are still complaining about the sunsetting of the "old" interface.

Even if one has serious problems adjusting to something new, everything has been written about this by each of you by now.
rharha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 10:34 PM   #507
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharha View Post
Came back to this forum after several months in the hope to read about the FM/Germany situation or the new dark mode - only to see several threads where the same 10 people are still complaining about the sunsetting of the "old" interface.

Even if one has serious problems adjusting to something new, everything has been written about this by each of you by now.
lol.. ehh yeah... more "melodramatic" then "complaining"
at least for me... lol..

what can I say.. i don't like change much.. that is when I find something I like, I tend to stick with it.. lol... yeah...
The Classic UI had at least three features I made use of daily...
1) folder counts (NEW/total)(aligned to right margin so it cluttered less)
2) trash empty link...
3) the search results in Classic UI were sorted by folder for EASIER viewing, with a [hr] to divide each folders readout..

and so on..
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2017, 12:08 AM   #508
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Let's call it a draw.

On one side we have people complaining about the new interface.

On the other, people complaining about the complaining.

The chance of either side getting what they want? Similar odds there too.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2017, 12:09 AM   #509
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
Let's call it a draw.

On one side we have people complaining about the new interface.

On the other, people complaining about the complaining.

The chance of either side getting what they want? Similar odds there too.
lol sure

EDIT:
GOOD GRIEF, I just discovered ANOTHER MISSING feature in the New UI....
the Classic UI use to have when viewing an email give you time in (hours, minutes, etc)
its been since the email was received..
and.. I just discovered that if you mouse over the time/date in the folder view right pane
it will give u a rough estimate of time in hours and days as far as I have seen at this point
and displays the full date as well with the mouse over..

Last edited by joe_devore : 2 Jul 2017 at 03:01 AM.
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2017, 04:03 AM   #510
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
How much email storage do you really need? I have the middle account level (Standard with 25 GB email storage). I have over 100,000 emails stored in my account, and they use 35% of that space. A Professional account has 100 GB of storage, so that would allow about 1.2 million emails to be stored in my account. Do you need more than that?

Bill
I just rechecked the new options and the pay services offer plenty of space: 2GB, 25GB, 100GB. Much more than I will ever need!