EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Nov 2012, 11:26 AM   #31
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Other important issues include the back end services including hardware, fail over plans, redundancy, etc. You can have the slickest front end, if there is an old 386 holding it all together, you'd never get me to host my mail there. Can't just compare features (which I still believe fastmail classic beats most services). You also have to look under the hood.

Fastmail has invested heavily in hardware and redundant systems.
Don't disagree, but anyone can fail so not only do I back up all of my mail at home, I also have my home mail store backing up using CrashPlan. More is always better.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 01:08 PM   #32
aynrandgirl

Question

PolarisMail's "consolidation" feature is interesting. Supposedly you can use their webmail to access other provider's systems via IMAP, rather like a hosted version of Thunderbird. Anybody have some opinions on this aspect of their service?
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Shelded

I've seen that at EmuMail and I used it to access my Fastmail account. I thought it was cool. Then I thought: what am I doing. If the mail gets purged who will take responsibility? nobody. And what do i gain by doing that? nothing?

How is it better than staying with Fastmail, or how is it better than using POP to pull mail into my Gmail or Yahoo account (whatever one's preference is). It's hard to demonstrate a big difference in function between these huge webmails vs. large web-based IMAP accounts.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 03:00 PM   #34
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
PolarisMail's "consolidation" feature is interesting. Supposedly you can use their webmail to access other provider's systems via IMAP, rather like a hosted version of Thunderbird. Anybody have some opinions on this aspect of their service?
Tools that allow you to access your own email accounts (from elsewhere) via IMAP, are invaluable, IMHO. It's kudos to Polaris for offering this (it's a great feature)

Fastmail offer a similar tool called 'IMAP Migrate' for pulling in your email from elsewhere. It's supposed to be a 'one time use' feature (for new account holders) to help them import their mail. I have used it myself a few times (over the years) and it works superbly well. How it compares (exactly) to what 'Polaris Mail' is offering, I do not know.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 03:57 PM   #35
aynrandgirl

Fastmail's "migrate" is a batch tool, as is Tuffmail's "box poll". Nice, but it's not live email reading.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 09:09 PM   #36
labarum
Essential Contributor

I have just spent some time with Microsoft's new mail offering outlook.com

I has such a clean interface that is a real pleasure to use. I think I would consider loosing some functions which I don't often use these days for one of the clearest screen presentations I have seen.

Mail, contacts, calendar, picture and file storage in a beautifully designed package.

IMAP support on the way, they say - if you need it once in their ecosystem
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 10:01 PM   #37
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:

Basically it works quiet well

Ive used it and its much like thunderbird imap
And since Polarismail does backups most of the mail is safe

George would have to explain it better and the limits
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 11:36 PM   #38
labarum
Essential Contributor

Just seen this

https://www.polarismail.com/Fastmail-Promotion/

Three months free!
Old 19 Nov 2012, 12:19 AM   #39
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

IMHO, 30 days should be sufficient to trial a new provider, but if interested, go for it.

Don't forget you have to pony up your payment details when signing up . . .
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 12:35 AM   #40
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
IMHO, 30 days should be sufficient to trial a new provider, but if interested, go for it.

Don't forget you have to pony up your payment details when signing up . . .
I saw that - except you're getting 15 months for the price of 12.

But as I said earlier, I have spent some time exploring the new MS free mail service. I has a very simple and sharp interface - I like the minimalism. Now I am retired I think it will do all my wife and I need. As now I would run Gmail as a backup using the mail redirection switch at my domain hosted by 123-reg.co.uk

My Fastmail subs run till February, so there is no rush.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 03:51 AM   #41
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post
I have just spent some time with Microsoft's new mail offering outlook.com. It has such a clean interface that is a real pleasure to use. I think I would consider loosing some functions which I don't often use these days for one of the clearest screen presentations I have seen.
That's surprising because I can't stand the actual outlook app. I only use it because I'm forced to at work.

If it looks anything like what's shown on their login page I'd call that ugly and clunky.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 04:05 AM   #42
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
That's surprising because I can't stand the actual outlook app. I only use it because I'm forced to at work.
I haven't used the old Outlook Email Client in years - awful thing - but this new Outlook Webmail deserves a good look

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-mail/micro...-35404526.html

I see no adverts - running the Chrome browser with Adblock.

I can't comment on the social networking wizzies - all OFFF
Old 19 Nov 2012, 04:06 AM   #43
ServiceTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post
I have just spent some time with Microsoft's new mail offering outlook.com

I has such a clean interface that is a real pleasure to use. I think I would consider loosing some functions which I don't often use these days for one of the clearest screen presentations I have seen.

Mail, contacts, calendar, picture and file storage in a beautifully designed package.

IMAP support on the way, they say - if you need it once in their ecosystem
outlook.com is "cool" but does have ads (less obtrusive than gmail), minimal support, and lacks maturity (contact import 3rd rate).

Lots of people switching to it. Get your address now while it is new and much is available.

It has extensive security to prevent spammers, which is good although a question of privacy e.g., your phone number.
ServiceTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 05:14 AM   #44
Shelded

Outlook.com

From the signup screen, it looks like something a dozen years old. What does it do better that you're leaving Fastmail for?
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 06:12 AM   #45
thymara

I've noticed a number of posts where users are looking at Outlook.com and gmail.com. Opera must be wondering about unintended consequences at this point. I've also noticed that a number of people automatically dismiss desktop clients and seem to dismiss the fact that desktop clients tend to be at least as feature filled as web clients. Not a done deal IMO.
thymara is offline   Reply With Quote