EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jun 2005, 03:43 PM   #1
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Various services moved around

We've moved a few services around to reduce the load on our main server. This has meant shutting down some services on IPs where they had been for years. In particular if you used:

* smtp to 66.111.4.3 or 66.111.4.20 (old DNS for old mail names)
* any service on 66.111.4.60-62 (had been out of DNS for a while, but old mail.messagingengine.com and www.fastmail.fm)
* authenticated SMTP through any server other than mail.messagingengine.com

Then you may have noticed that the service went away in the past 24 hours. The main reason for removing these services was that the machine hosting them is also used for outbound email, and by allowing SMTP there a particularly clever spammer managed to bypass our rate controls for one spamming run (we noticed the increased load in the daily report that evening and shut down the technique they had used).

For the vast majority of users: nothing has changed. For the few who were doing something tricky, you can use the IP address 66.111.4.160-162 in place of .60-.62 if you need to. If you have put explicit IP addresses rather than CNAMEs in your DNS and you're not hosting with us, then tough - you're doing something naughty and things break when you do that - fix the entries!

I've added a link from the blog entry to discuss things here in this thread.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:00 AM   #2
luminosity

This must be the reason why I cannot log in and FastCheck cannot connect to my Inbox. This is the error message I get:

Failed to create screen: Mailbox, Failed inbox select for luminosity, can't go back to inbox
luminosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:01 AM   #3
JRobert
Master of the @

I'm getting
Code:
Failed to create screen: Mailbox, Failed inbox select for <MyUsername>, can't go back to inbox
error when I try to log in (secure) via the web, at 11:58 EDT. Fastcheck fails to log in and gets the same error.

I can get the log-in screen; it's the login process accepting my username/password that seems to fail.
Related?

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:02 AM   #4
luminosity

Welcome to the club, JRobert!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:03 AM   #5
luminosity

I have tried logging in "securely" and not securely and both give me that error.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:06 AM   #6
jjm

Could this move be the reason for the SMTP proxy to not accept my connections any longer?

Thunderbird is configured as :
smtps.proxy.fastmail.fm
port 80
SSL

Sending messages through the proxy worked until mid-afternoon (CET time).

JJ.
jjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:10 AM   #7
JRobert
Master of the @

It's back now - Fastcheck just loudly announced "You have mail".

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:17 AM   #8
luminosity

Lucky you.. it's still not back for me.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:18 AM   #9
lateplate

smtp is definitely screwed. worked this morning, now rejecting my password.
lateplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:20 AM   #10
luminosity

I wonder if any techs are working on it right now.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 01:32 AM   #11
aurelio

Cannot send Mails = cannot make Business

I cannot send mails for hours now, means, my business is down. Worst case. I seriously wonder what for I pay US$39.95 per-year - and then, when a problem occurs, nobody is available. Anybody know what to do or anybody knows alternatives to FastMail?
aurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 02:58 AM   #12
luminosity

Looks like all is well again!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 03:12 AM   #13
Rook

I wonder if this failure SMTP Down? is related to the move. A number of us using authenticated (SSL) SMTP on mail.messagingengine.com are unable to authenticate and send email and the problem now appears to be moving from "minutes" of downtime to "hours."
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 05:35 AM   #14
waynenf

You guys bring up 2 very important issues:

1. Why did it take so long for this to be corrected? For some of us it was a 2 hour outage.

2. Why do we pay for a service in which the response time to problems is sometimes rather long?

Why no apology from the folks at Fastmail. The non-chalant attitude of "well, we fixed it, carry on" without any apology to the paying customers for this type of failure is rather alarming. Maybe it is time to find another more reliable email service that cares for it's customer base.
waynenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2005, 02:43 PM   #15
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
The problem doesn't seem to be related to the changes. We're not sure what caused it yet, but we are looking into it.

Why it took 2 hours: it happened in the middle of the night Australian time, and because we weren't checking that specific service, we weren't aware that there was a problem. We would have been paged within two minutes if we had been checking it.

As the highest priority this morning, we fixed that oversight and wrote a checker for the authentication component of incoming mail and installed it on all machines which accept authenticated emails.

We do apologise for any perceived terseness of comments posted on the forum, and hope you understand that nobody is at their best at 4am having spent hours trying to track down a problem.

Regards,

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote