EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 May 2002, 06:05 AM   #1
DaveHanson

Question Manip folders in Outlook XP = can't access in FM web's interface..?

I deleted a couple of IMAP folders in Outlook XP. They still show up on my list of folders in the web interface, but they can't be deleted. Instead I get, for instance, "Could not select folder 'dhgu' to find existing messages."

My account is davehanson, in case Jeremy or other staff people need to take a look...

Anything I'm missing here? Is there only 1 preferred technique for this kind of maintenance?

TIA, Dave
DaveHanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 May 2002, 08:35 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Try using the "Login problems" link at http://fastmail.fm . That will do a full reconstruct of your mailboxes and clean up any problems with folders.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 03:47 AM   #3
DaveHanson

Thanks Jeremy, but alas, it didn't do the trick. I passed all the tests, then got

"Could not select folder 'trhz' to find existing messages" on the folder page, and

"Could not access the folder 'trhz'. Returning to Inbox" when I tried to select the folder in the mailbox page.

Seems bizzare that the folder still shows up in the list, but can't be accessed or deleted.
Old 6 May 2002, 12:38 PM   #4
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I've updated the Verify script to account for this particular problem now, and I've run it on your account, Dave. It is now correctly removing those orphaned folders.
Old 6 May 2002, 10:43 PM   #5
DaveHanson

Thanks Jeremy! Out of curiosity, is there a short explanation for why it wasn't working before/what changes you made?
Old 7 May 2002, 07:07 AM   #6
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

There's an ongoing problem with the Cyrus IMAP server that we haven't yet identified, where deleting or renaming folders in certain situations causes Cyrus to only partially remove the old folder. We haven't been able to reliably replicate the problem consistently, which makes it very hard to fix.

When the problem occurs, Cyrus ends up in a state where it's internal mailbox DB includes the name of a folder which does not actually exist on the file system. Obviously this should never happen! Cyrus comes with a tool called 'reconstruct' to fix mailbox DBs, but it doesn't fix this particular problem. When you click 'Login problems' 'reconstruct' is one of the tools that gets run. I've written an extension to 'reconstruct' so that it now also fixes this problem.