EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 8 Jun 2015, 04:15 PM   #1
rusl
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Swipe to Archive missing from Sent folder

In the iOS app (presumably all AJAX touch interfaces) the Inbox has swipe-to-delete and swipe-to-archive (opposite direction swipes). The Sent folder only has swipe-to-delete and swiping the other way reveals a blank space which does nothing. Can we please have swipe to archive in the Sent folder as well?
rusl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jun 2015, 06:09 PM   #2
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 971

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I'm curious: why do you want to move sent items to your Archive folder?
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2015, 01:51 AM   #3
rusl
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Why would I archive my sent email? So they don't sit idle in the Sent folder looking untidy. Same reason I archive my received email. So the Inbox stays empty. Am I doing email wrong?

Forcing myself to keep those two folders empty means I have to decide to keep something rather than keeping by default. In practice this means I delete more than I archive and I've managed to accrue fewer than 5000 emails in over twenty years

The bonus with having everything in one folder is that I can see both sides of an email conversation in the correct chronology without enabling "conversations view", which confused me no end when I tried it. Turns out most of my friends never create a new email, they reply to the most recent one I last sent to them even when the topic is completely unrelated. Then sometimes they randomly reply to an email that's several years old to start a new email. I'm not joking about this. "Conversations" is a non-starter.

I'd love to hear how you deal with email because I never received any formal training and I'm still learning new strategies. Please tell me you don't use Sent as a long term storage solution
rusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2016, 07:38 AM   #4
ppm
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 67
Question Archiving Sent Emails

As requested over a year ago by @rusl, it would be good for the iOS app to allow SWIPE TO ARCHIVE from the SENT folder. Right now, the same gesture you use to "swipe to archive" actually sends your sent mails to the trash folder which is rather annoying and may lead to the non nintentional loss of sent messages.

In addition, and this is most likely related to the first request from a system point of view, it would be good to also have an ARCHIVE BUTTON accessible at the top of the screen when having selected the SENT folder in the web interface.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2016, 09:16 PM   #5
rusl
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Love seeing my old thread revived. I would still like swipe to Archive from the Sent folder for the benefit of other like-minded souls.

But in the meantime I've given up on that dream and worked out a new workflow that's even better. I went into Settings > Identities & Fetch > tap on an identity > Show advanced settings > Save a copy of messages I send from the identity in my Inbox folder

Copies of outgoing emails end up in the Inbox instead of the Sent folder. I can immediately swipe to archive from the Inbox after sending an email. I even went into the Folder Settings to hide the Sent folder entirely. Problem solved, quicker to perform this action, and one less folder in the tree

I love how different people use email in different ways and Fastmail allows us to do whatever we want, or find interesting ways to get around the limitations imposed
rusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2016, 07:29 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Holon, Israel.
Posts: 4,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusl View Post
..... I've given up on that dream and worked out a new workflow that's even better. I went into Settings > Identities & Fetch > tap on an identity > Show advanced settings > Save a copy of messages I send from the identity in my Inbox folder

Copies of outgoing emails end up in the Inbox instead of the Sent folder. I can immediately swipe to archive from the Inbox after sending an email.......
Why haven't you set the folder to whoich sent email is saved to the archive folder instead of the inbox? Then you woulg not have to manually archive it after sending.

I always save sent email together with received email. I have several identities with different folders assigned for the sent mail. I also save a lot of email in subfolders of those folders, and that's one of the main reasons why I still use the classic interface (it allows to overide the folder to which the sent message is sent to per composed message. The new interface makes me chase the sent messages to fike them where I want them. That also one reason I seldom use the phone app to compose)
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2016, 11:48 PM   #7
ppm
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 67
Question SWIPE TO ARCHIVE from the SENT folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm View Post
As requested over a year ago by @rusl, it would be good for the iOS app to allow SWIPE TO ARCHIVE from the SENT folder. Right now, the same gesture you use to "swipe to archive" actually sends your sent mails to the trash folder which is rather annoying and may lead to the non nintentional loss of sent messages.

In addition, and this is most likely related to the first request from a system point of view, it would be good to also have an ARCHIVE BUTTON accessible at the top of the screen when having selected the SENT folder in the web interface.
Thanks to rusl and hadaso for their interest in this "revived thread". I wish our friends from Fastmail would take notice of this exchange, and provide us with their feedback on my above query.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2016, 03:15 PM   #8
rnkn
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
I'm curious: why do you want to move sent items to your Archive folder?
I have my Sent folder set to purge after 90 days so I archive anything important I've sent.
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:04 PM   #9
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Posts: 2,260
So, there is a good reason to have the "sent" folder different than the "Archive" folder. IMAP Email programs save messages to the "Sent" folder, and then there is a complete downloaded copy of the Sent folder on the device.

If the Sent folder is also the Archive for Sent Items, it grows to hundreds of megabytes, then Gigabytes. This boggs down many email clients, because many are not designed to have that large of a database of emails. It starts hogging memory, and slowing down my device, whether desktop or mobile.

So with my Sent items folder, I have to manually move Sent items to the Archive folder every few months. What a pain.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:29 PM   #10
ppm
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
So, there is a good reason to have the "sent" folder different than the "Archive" folder. IMAP Email programs save messages to the "Sent" folder, and then there is a complete downloaded copy of the Sent folder on the device.

If the Sent folder is also the Archive for Sent Items, it grows to hundreds of megabytes, then Gigabytes. This boggs down many email clients, because many are not designed to have that large of a database of emails. It starts hogging memory, and slowing down my device, whether desktop or mobile.

So with my Sent items folder, I have to manually move Sent items to the Archive folder every few months. What a pain.

/cl
Thanks for pitching in. May our friends at Fastmail take note and do something about my request.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:30 PM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm View Post
Thanks for pitching in. May our friends at Fastmail take note and do something about my request.
One solution is to provide an option to "Archive messages more than _____ old." in the Folder view...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:37 PM   #12
ppm
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
One solution is to provide an option to "Archive messages more than _____ old." in the Folder view...
This is not really my point: what I am requesting is that the sent folder be treated just like the inbox in the sense that we would also have an "archive" button on the web interface, to easily select "archive" or "delete" depending on which sent mail we want to keep and which one we want to archive. Likewise, the mail application on my iPhone should behave in a standard manner, i.e. when I swipe to archive from the sent folder, it should indeed send to archive instead of sending to trash as it is the case today, which is at best misleading and at worse very dangerous.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:38 PM   #13
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm View Post
This is not really my point: what I am requesting is that the sent folder be treated just like the inbox in the sense that we would also have an "archive" button on the web interface, to easily select "archive" or "delete" depending on which sent mail we want to keep and which one we want to archive. Likewise, the mail application on my iPhone should behave in a standard manner, i.e. when I swipe to archive from the sent folder, it should indeed send to archive instead of sending to trash as it is the case today, which is at best misleading and at worse very dangerous.
Gotcha, your solution would not help me, however... I'd like both to be implemented.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2016, 04:26 PM   #14
rusl
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
The reason I've set up my little workflow to place a copy of the sent email in the Inbox is so I can choose to swipe it to the Archive, or I can delete it (I delete most of my email if it's trivial conversation), or I can file it to a special folder (such as a folder for a specific project I'm working on). Also, after sending an email I am typically returned to the Inbox view so this is the folder from which I can take action.

But leaving my little hack aside, it would be nice to have "swipe to archive" and an archive button in the Sent folder for people that want to use the default configuration.. It's simply missing.
rusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2016, 05:39 PM   #15
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Village
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusl View Post
But leaving my little hack aside, it would be nice to have "swipe to archive" and an archive button in the Sent folder for people that want to use the default configuration.. It's simply missing.
Indeed, a big +1 from me for this feature as well. But it is quite clear that FM have no intention of providing it. The only mysterious thing is WHY. If you look earlier in this thread, you'll find Neilj, a member of the FM team, asking why people want to archive their sent messages. Neil, it seems like a perfectly normal thing to want to do, and lots of us want to do it. It seems so obvious and natural to me, that I feel it is incumbent on YOU to explain why you think this practice should be DISCOURAGED! Come on, FM, tell us why you refuse to give us this absolutely obvious feature! If your response is good enough, and convinces me to change the way I manage my email (I'm always open to persuasion in better ways to do things ), then I (and perhaps many others) will stop hassling you about it!
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 04:09 AM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy