EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 May 2020, 03:42 AM   #1
crankspuls6
= Permanently banned =

Slow Fastmail Filtering Blues

Filtering rules are a mess. Unless you create aliases it's virtually impossible to capture email into a folder or now a label. I have utilities that send me emails from 5-6 different departments. I can get some emails from Comcast others from Xfinity, marketing, business division, billing, promotions, etc, etc. Most emails are HTML so filter often misses the simple text trigger.

Yes I can create aliases. But then I worry that the reason for hosting my domain emails is to be able to be on the move if this provider flops or I run out of money to pay them. Then bunch of aliases can create and issue with getting all the emails from a different host or provider. I have 3-4 different domains that must be filtered individually. It's a mess.

Yes I can give up on filtering and rely of search but I really like to see a separate folder for personal emails that count and to send billing and all the services junk into sub folders.usps tracking showbox speed test

Last edited by crankspuls6 : 15 May 2020 at 06:33 PM.
crankspuls6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 May 2020, 05:13 AM   #2
TenFour
Cornerstone of the Community

How about creating a filter for the "personal emails that count" and don't worry about filters for the rest?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 07:10 PM   #3
JeremyNicoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankspuls6 View Post
Most emails are HTML so filter often misses the simple text trigger.
Don't filter on the text. Filter on headers. For example emails from xyz.com more than likely have

Return-Path: <somethingorother....xyz.com>

so use a filter

Return-Path endswith ".xyz.com>"

or Return-Path contains ".xyz.com>"

The dot in front of the "xyz" is important if xyz's return-path values are perhaps randomstuff.servername.xyz.com - you want not to confuse these mails with any that have somebodyelsexyz.com in there. And the trailing ">" is needed too to avoid matches on eg "xyz.companynews.pqr.org"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankspuls6 View Post
Yes I can create aliases. But then I worry that the reason for hosting my domain emails is to be able to be on the move if this provider flops or I run out of money to pay them. Then bunch of aliases can create and issue with getting all the emails from a different host or provider. I have 3-4 different domains that must be filtered individually. It's a mess.
It's not clear if your "my domain emails" and "3-4 diferent domains" are domains you own (in which case moving mail hosting to some other provider should have no effect on the aliases you've set up on your own domains, or something else.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2020, 07:01 PM   #4
bestivick

73/5000
It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post.
viva tv apk

Last edited by bestivick : 14 Oct 2020 at 05:05 PM.
bestivick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2020, 08:08 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

It's a pity that no one picked up that the original post was copy/pasted from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fastmail/co...ltering_blues/

Better late than never!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2020, 03:06 AM   #6
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

The OP was banned.
bestivick, or anyone else - spammers are not welcome here. Make sure you don't become o
ne.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2020, 10:05 PM   #7
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

http://images.somdcomputerguy.com/re...?variant=tiny3
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote