EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 31 Mar 2016, 06:06 AM   #1
pjc

Question Email providers with "-" subaddressing?

Before there was + subaddressing, there was - subaddressing. As a result, my family has countless subaddresses that use "-" as the delimiter instead of "+".

After many years, it looks like I'm going to need to migrate my email away from my current host. But I haven't been able to find anyone who allows the use of "-" as the delimiter for subaddresses (despite the fact that it's a configurable option in both postfix and qmail).

Does anybody here know of any (free or paid) services who do? I'd rather not have to configure my own server.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Mar 2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc View Post
Before there was + subaddressing, there was - subaddressing. As a result, my family has countless subaddresses that use "-" as the delimiter instead of "+".

After many years, it looks like I'm going to need to migrate my email away from my current host. But I haven't been able to find anyone who allows the use of "-" as the delimiter for subaddresses (despite the fact that it's a configurable option in both postfix and qmail).

Does anybody here know of any (free or paid) services who do? I'd rather not have to configure my own server.
Tuffmail. https://www.tuffmail.com/features.php
And welcome to the forum.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2016, 10:57 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Rollernet allows +, -, ., or + and -.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2016, 10:53 PM   #4
pjc

Thank you both for the responses.

It looks like Tuffmail might be rather neglected and out of date; is anybody here still using it?

And Rollernet says that its flexible address extensions don't work for hosted email: "This option is not supported for mail box delivery in Hosted Mail Domain mode. Hosted mail boxes only recognize the "+" delimiter for address extensions." So it seems like it would work for forwarding, but not hosting. Is that right?
Old 1 Apr 2016, 04:05 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
It looks like Tuffmail might be rather neglected and out of date; is anybody here still using it?
I have a account with Tuffmail, but don't use it very much. Indeed, it is out of date, but I hardly have seen any downtime in many years.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2016, 10:42 PM   #6
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
And Rollernet says that its flexible address extensions don't work for hosted email: "This option is not supported for mail box delivery in Hosted Mail Domain mode. Hosted mail boxes only recognize the "+" delimiter for address extensions." So it seems like it would work for forwarding, but not hosting. Is that right?
Hmmm.. I'm not sure. I just enabled the - delimiter for my hosted mail box and received a test message from another account. But then I also sent another message using . (without enabling it) and it also worked.. That may be because I have a catch-all for the domain.

I would definitely email support(at)rollernet(dot)us and ask them directly. Their support is very quick to respond.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2016, 07:33 PM   #7
George_B
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
This is something that we support as well. We call them 'extensions'. Aka, if your main account is sales@domain.com, you can extend it with sales-john@domain.com for example
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 12:06 PM   #8
cmaus

I'm using the "-" addressing extensively as well and am in the long process of reevaluating my host.

Currently I'm with tuffmail. Very powerful service which includes Bayesian filter and allows custom rules. I really love it were it not for the lack of security updates. The host is quite behind on that. Just look at the results of https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal...=mail.mxes.net . A positive note is that SSLv2 finally has been disabled. So something is happening there but way to slow.

I'm also currently evaluating Gand. With their paid mailpack one can simulate "-" addressing. https://wiki.gandi.net/en/mail/create-like-alias Basically you wildcard anything for "cmaus-" to go into your mailbox. It works perfectly. What you'll loose is the advanced things like Bayesian filter, custom rules, etc. Gandi does some spam/virus filtering with amavisd-new but you can't customize it.

Definitely a trade-off between the two.
cmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 06:47 AM   #9
EvilPeppard
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
This is something that we support as well. We call them 'extensions'. Aka, if your main account is sales@domain.com, you can extend it with sales-john@domain.com for example
PolarisMail for the win!

Thanks for the input, George.
EvilPeppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2017, 11:48 PM   #10
pjc

To close the loop on this, none of the existing services (polaris, tuff, or roller) worked due to technical limitations, though they all had very responsive service.

In short, either they couldn't have different suffixes forward to different addresses (Roller, Tuffmail), or they wanted to charge for each individual address before the "-" suffix, even for forward-only (Polaris).

I ended up setting up my own mail forwarder on a VPS for ~$5/mo. It wasn't as bad as I'd feared. The only thing that I missed the first time around was turning on RBL blocking.