EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Nov 2005, 06:59 PM   #91
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

every alternative i've looked at isn't as nice as fastmail. sucks... you WANT there to be an alternative just in case, but so far for me there isn't one ... I'm addicted to the web interface I must admit, and have long since ditched any email client... :-)
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 02:08 PM   #92
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
"We're not affiliated with Runbox in any way, we've simply heard good things about them and recommend them to those looking for premium email hosting for personal use."
I'm curious as to why Webmail.us would recommend Runbox and only Runbox for personal mail...why not include also Tuffmail, Mailsnare, or even (boo! hiss!) FastMail? ...
I question how much diligence was used and the motivation behind a recommendation like this which is stated to be based on "... we've simply heard good things ..." Why just one recommendation?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 03:39 PM   #93
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by David
For people who do not want to bother with the technicalities of setting MX records etc, who want to stay with Fastmail, because it is a great email service - I recommend to open an account at Pobox.com. You can have your cake and eat it. If fastmail fails you can access your mail elsewhere, and immediately revert back to fastmail when service is restored.
You're absolutely right. I signed up with Pobox - for a trial account - a couple of days ago, and I love their service. I'm thinking about subscribing for a year. . .I kinda like the idea that I can forward mail to different addresses, so I can kep using Fastmail as my main account and use Runbox / Gmail / Inbox.com as a backup, just in case Fastmail is experiencing outages again.

--Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 03:45 PM   #94
injinuity

what happends when pobox is down ?? are we then back to square one?

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 03:50 PM   #95
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by injinuity
what happends when pobox is down ?? are we then back to square one?

Jinu Johnson
Well, if Pobox is down, no mail is forwarded. I'm not a native speaker of the english language, so: what do you mean by "are we then back to square one"?

--Marc
Old 25 Nov 2005, 03:51 PM   #96
PenPen

Adding pobox.com sounds like adding another point of failure. Is pobox.com almost completely reliable?
PenPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 04:02 PM   #97
injinuity

Quote:
Originally posted by marc_otten
Well, if Pobox is down, no mail is forwarded. I'm not a native speaker of the english language, so: what do you mean by "are we then back to square one"?

--Marc
I am just saying that when pobox is down, you have no access to mail either.. its not a failsafe method.. the premise behind pobox is that there will not be any outage and that same presumption is true in case of all email service providers but ufortunately outages do occur.... I can't condone the long time that Fm was down but when I look back at 4 years of service from them I can't help but feel satisfied.. and the fact that this thread has been running for a while now and there is no clear consensus as to what the 'alternatives' are just cemented my beliefs.

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 05:25 PM   #98
marc_otten
Master of the @

Ah..okay, I see your point. Thanks for the clarification. I guess you're right in your opinion. However, I don't think there actually exists an emailservice that's 100% failsafe.

IMAP4all might also be a good alternative. From their website:

You are in control:
  • No advertisements, no spam, and superior virus scanning
  • Advanced admintool to create your own addresses, size and featureset,
  • Very simple and easy up/downgrade facility that follows your needs
Any time, any place:
  • Full integration with outlook and other mailclients wherever you are
  • Full synchronised mailbox(es) on all your computers
  • Superb webmailclient with full functionality
With fast, reliable and independent e-mail service:
  • Redundant & balanced highspeed connections and peerings to the best internet networks in the world
  • Fastest, full redundant mailservers on the globe
  • Guaranteed full back-up every day
  • No limitation in storage, e-mail size and attachments
  • Provider independent e-mail address(es) that you can choose
  • Use your own domain name for your e-mail address
--Marc
Old 25 Nov 2005, 06:26 PM   #99
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PenPen
Adding pobox.com sounds like adding another point of failure. Is pobox.com almost completely reliable?
I agree. I signed up for pobox earlier this year thinking that it would solve my problems of system failure, just forward somewhere else. But of course it doesn't.

At the moment I have purchased my domain for £1.99 p/a and forward to 3 different providers (FM, Gmail, my ISP) far cheaper than Pobox.

Personally IMHO the only way to ensure you are going to get your mail *always*, is to provide everyone of importance that needs to contact you, with 2 email address from different providers while using forwarding for back-ups.
adam15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 08:43 PM   #100
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Personally IMHO the only way to ensure you are going to get your mail *always*, is to provide everyone of importance that needs to contact you, with 2 email address from different providers while using forwarding for back-ups
Hehehe. . .now that's a nice work-around
Old 26 Nov 2005, 02:15 AM   #101
the bishop

has anyone tried IMAP4All? I don't see an SLA there... ?
Old 26 Nov 2005, 10:08 PM   #102
weaver4
Essential Contributor

We would all be talking about the great reliability of MainSnare in this thread if they had 1 Gig instead of 100Meg. They are reliable and have good support.

Does anyone even know if you can buy more space, I sure could not tell from their website?

I find it curious on whey MailSnare would just fade into the sunset rather than try to be competitive. Maybe they have a nice stable business and don't want to add customers.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 10:30 PM   #103
Fenman

Yes, you can buy more space at Mailsnare. On a personal account it is a one-time fee for:

50MB Additional Storage Space $ 9.95
100MB Additional Storage Space $13.95
250MB Additional Storage Space $24.95

I guess there are a lot of people who are quite happy with accounts of 100 Meg. I am.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2005, 05:02 AM   #104
the bishop

I have over 800mb in my Fastmail acct here, so I indeed would need more than 100mb.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 08:59 AM   #105
yankeeclipper

Just leave.

Why do all of you people who are so unhappy with the Fastmail service stick around for so long beating your gums about it. Just leave. Don't use it anymore. Nobody will miss you, but stop going on and on and on about it. I think you all just like to hear yourselves talk. Geez....................
yankeeclipper is offline   Reply With Quote