EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Storesstores

FASTMAIL for my small business?

I have a one man operation (myself)

I "MIGHT" expand and have a few other employees so I'd like to leave the room for expansion...

My domain is currently being hosted by AHCOMPUTERS.NET and I'm having a lot of problems with the email..I "AM" getting the emails on time BUT I need to keep logging back in as it appears that there server keeps getting interrupted.

I would like to have Fastmail host my domain (if thats possible)

I want to have a reliable service...

What are my best options?

P.S. I went to Godaddy.com and I copy and pasted all the registrant info as well as all the WHOIS Underlying Registry Data.
Storesstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:22 PM   #2
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Based on what you've said, I'm not completely sure that FM would be the best solution for you, but that's just my opinion I guess (and no knock on FM). You might also want to look at Tuffmail and webmail.us before you decide to spend your money.

(edit) don't want to give a false impression, though: of course, FM can host your domain. I would just suggest that you do a little shopping around first

Last edited by rmns2bseen : 5 Jun 2006 at 12:33 PM.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Storesstores

What are the differences in costs?

I have a million things going on...

If you can be a little more specific I'd really treasure the info!!!
Old 5 Jun 2006, 01:23 PM   #4
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Storesstores, my comments were based on the fact that, at its heart, FM isn't really oriented toward business email, but rather personal accounts...at least this has always been my impression. If you're thinking that your business may be expanding in the future, then you might want an account that features multi-user possibilities. The cost of this of course would depend on the number of individual mailboxes you would want to set up. Both Tuffmail and webmail.us offer free trial accounts, as far as I know, and I'd suggest you give them a try, at least.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2006, 01:39 PM   #5
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm beta testing gMail's services for small businesses right now and I must say its very stable and very well done (and it's gmail too) ...

you might try to sign up for that as well ... it's free as of right now ...
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2006, 01:52 PM   #6
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

A friend uses FM to support a small business that is geographically split between the UK and Australia. From memory I think he has about half a dozen employees. His experience has been very positive. He uses his company domain name in combination with a master (Enhanced) account. Incoming messages are routed to the relevant sub-account and a copy is retained on the master account. Sub-account mail clients are set up to BCC the master account so that a trail of outbound correspondence is maintained.

Regards, AB
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Storesstores

like I said, I already have my domain...

name@businessname.com

I want to keep my domain and I want something reliable...

currently, my host allows me to add various emails..not sure how many..but I added sales@businessname.com

and

info@businessname.com

I need a host that will allow atleast a grand total of 3 email addresses...
Old 5 Jun 2006, 04:17 PM   #8
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by Storesstores
like I said, I already have my domain...

name@businessname.com

I want to keep my domain and I want something reliable...

currently, my host allows me to add various emails..not sure how many..but I added sales@businessname.com

and

info@businessname.com

I need a host that will allow atleast a grand total of 3 email addresses...
yes, so do I - and gMail business allows you to keep your domain, but use their gMail as your business email ... so if you emailed me at thebishop@myworkaddress.com, it goes to my business acct hosted by gMail ... it also had admin rights, etc. very cool concept. I can have up to 25 accounts x 2gigs each with it.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2006, 01:13 AM   #9
weaver4
Essential Contributor

I use fastmail for personal email. But for my small business I use webmail.us. Exceptional service.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2006, 05:51 AM   #10
asamir

business email

I use webmail.us for business email. I used to use fastmail, but a two day outage several months ago persuaded me that they weren't geared for the needs of business users.
Fastmail:
Pros: good interface, fast, useful features
Cons: small company, support/responsiveness patchy. (They're down right this minute).

Webmail:
Pros: better support. Hosted at Rackspace, the most expensive and "best" hosting company.
Cons: interface sucks. slow to load emails, occasionally lets torrents of spam through for reasons unknown.

Business reliability is crucial to me. When FM goes for 6 months without any outages and has a fully replicated infrastructure I might consider going back. Until then, I'll stick with webmail.us.

Anthony
asamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2006, 11:19 PM   #11
weaver4
Essential Contributor

Hmm, I like webmail.us interface. What is it that you don't like?
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2006, 05:38 AM   #12
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I agree with asamir's opinion. I use FastMail for business/professional purposes and whenever there is an outage, I seriously reconsider my choice. I've decided that I can tolerate a rare, brief outage (e.g. less than an hour) because this seems to be part of e-mail services in general -- but the long outages are just not acceptible to me. I'm hoping the new replicated server set up will solve the FastMail outage problems. There are so many attractive features and services with FastMail, it's a shame that reliable access is becoming its Achilles heel. This is my opinion.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote