EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Aug 2003, 03:57 AM   #16
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
To conclude, its good if you had both options ....
I do have both options and that works great with OE. I have a Full account setup as both a POP3 and IMAP. (OE was told not to look for email with the IMAP account). I also have a Member account setup as IMAP. (so I can learn it) Now if you add FastCheck to the setup, it tells me if mail came into both the POP3 or the IMAP account. OE has only one drawback that I know of. It logs into each folder when it checks for email making IMAP much slower than POP3. I told OE not to sync any folders so when FastCheck says I have email in Folder1, I go into OE and just click on that folder for the mail. Then if you throw in my use of the Web UI I use for spam control and use of the # when replying to a subdomain, I have the best of all three.
Anyway, this setup works great and fast for me using OE.

Sherry

Last edited by Sherry : 22 Aug 2003 at 04:06 AM.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 05:05 AM   #17
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
OE has yet another drawback, that I am aware of . It downloads the mail and the attachments together. IMAP has support to do that non-atomically.

Since Sherry has let the cat out of the bag, I am sure somebody will ask how you can configure Fastcheck to show alert for folders.Here it is

Edit: Added
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 05:35 AM   #18
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by kurianja
OE has yet another drawback, that I am aware of . It downloads the mail and the attachments together. IMAP has support to do that non-atomically.
Edit: Added
That's one I forgot about. For me, that part is ok because I'm using DSL and I like my attachments to come to my PC. Actually, my whole setup using the 4 ways of using FastMail, probably works best for those getting an Average amount of email and not for the Heavy users.
Also, thanks for adding the link for others that may be interested.

Sherry
Old 22 Aug 2003, 06:45 AM   #19
vidvandre
Cornerstone of the Community

I've used the "Display the list of messages from each sender, sorted by account and folder" script-add-on, and it works very well. I really extends the usability of FastCheck. However, I do tend to get a lot of mail so FastCheck is/became a little bit to intrusive for my taste. But it was a difficult decision to remove FastCheck from Windows' startup folder..

Since the email I get i very much different types of email (work, private, etc), I prefer to use a good client where I can decide which folders (again the types) should have focus at the moment. Am using Outlook XP at the moment but it's limited support of imap is slowly driving me mad, I'm currently giving Thunderbird a shot but I can't get it to work the way I want it to...
vidvandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:06 AM   #20
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by vidvandre
ISince the email I get i very much different types of email (work, private, etc), I prefer to use a good client where I can decide which folders (again the types) should have focus at the moment.
Mine is also different types of email as yours is. Not that it makes a difference but I mainly use FastCheck just to notify me when mail comes in for the different types. Those that are important, like from a customer, I will click on "acknowledge" in FastCheck and then go to my email client to read it. The unimportant mail I will click acknowledge and then read it later.

Sherry
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:11 AM   #21
mklose

kmail works like a charm here... :-D

(on my no moving parts X-Terminal)
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:05 AM   #22
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Has anyone tried the open source Java email client COLUMBA. It's quite impressive! Pretty good IMAP support in a nice little package.

Its a sourceforge project and you can find it here ...

COLUMA JAVA EMAIL CLIENT
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:07 PM   #23
vidvandre

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
Has anyone tried the open source Java email client COLUMBA. It's quite impressive! Pretty good IMAP support in a nice little package.
Haven't tried it, but it looks rather impressive. It looks as it's currently in the early stages. Anyway; a nice summary of what is/will become available is the manifest and roadmap documents. Looks like a well organized dev.group, hopefully they'll stick to the plan and this will become a killer app...
vidvandre is offline   Reply With Quote