EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Sep 2006, 11:37 AM   #16
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I should add "or we're really busy working on other things that day and don't spend ages checking the entire contents of every thread...", yesterday I was working on getting a couple of new imap servers in place and Rob and Richard were really busy on some domain split background work.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by David
No.... they used to do that (a long time ago now) when they were wanting to expand their service.
I guess we saw that a lot differently back then. It was Jeremy who spent a "lot" of time on the forum. Not only this one but all the EMD forums. Sure he answered the support type questions as he came across them but also got involved in many discussions/chats on this and the other forums. He once posted that he really enjoyed that type of thing. Rob would jump in and out now and then with technical type posts having us check things and giving support. After Jeremy's health made him stop posting Rob and the employees spent as much time as they could for support type posts just as they do now. Personally I think having the FM guys jump into our FM Users forum is a great thing and really enjoy their participation here.

Anyway I guess what I'm saying is it didn't look to me like Jeremy was here so much (and in all the other forums) just to help expand their service IMO...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 02:25 PM   #18
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry

Anyway I guess what I'm saying is it didn't look to me like Jeremy was here so much (and in all the other forums) just to help expand their service IMO...
If I were Jeremy I would hire you Sherry; you have certainly done the company a lot of good
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 02:45 PM   #19
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by David
If I were Jeremy I would hire you Sherry; you have certainly done the company a lot of good
Thanks David but as you probably know I only post the above type posts if I really feel IMO something differently but have posted "many" complaints (like their lack of communications before the blog, their non friendly UI before the Basic/Advanced (and even now) and any security type issues etc) so they know they don't get just praise from me.
(in fact have probably gotten very upset with some of my posts)

Sherry
Old 29 Sep 2006, 04:07 PM   #20
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Hey Sherry, at least we get both sorts of posts from you, rather than the people who only come here to whine when something isn't working and then go away again!

Seriously, if I got offended easily I'd probably spend the bad days sitting in the corner crying instead of fixing things up! Luckily none of us offend that easily (that's another Australian trait - you don't get offended unless somebody slanders your football team)
Old 29 Sep 2006, 04:18 PM   #21
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by brong
Seriously, if I got offended easily I'd probably spend the bad days sitting in the corner crying <snip>
LOL (trying really hard not to picture that) LOL

Sherry
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:10 PM   #22
biffbulkie
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Hey Sherry, at least we get both sorts of posts from you, rather than the people who only come here to whine when something isn't working and then go away again!
football team)
I'm sorry. Next time I will sit quietly when the service I am paying for is down for 4 days....

What a wonderful attitude for a business to take.
biffbulkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 11:10 PM   #23
kendp
Essential Contributor

Quote:

That's a really odd error, and if you could PM me the exact username I'd love to see it. We really don't allow the same username at both fastmail.fm and fastmail.co.uk.

PM sent
kendp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2006, 03:36 PM   #24
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally posted by biffbulkie
I'm sorry. Next time I will sit quietly when the service I am paying for is down for 4 days....

What a wonderful attitude for a business to take.
No, it's fair enough to complain about that. That sucked. I don't think there's any good response I can make about that one other than "in about 1 hour we'll be down to only two servers that aren't fully replicated, and by tomorrow evening hopefully just one".

Things are moving quickly around here now with replication! I've been working full time since that outage on making sure it really can't happen like that ever again.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 08:52 PM   #25
greenplum
Essential Contributor

Well at least there is someone available to whinge to rather than whining into cyberspace with most others
greenplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2006, 01:26 AM   #26
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
snip ... Things are moving quickly around here now with replication! I've been working full time since that outage on making sure it really can't happen like that ever again.
That's good. I'll bet there are many of us customers (me included) who have made up our minds to move to another IMAP email services provider if another significant outage occurs.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2006, 06:41 AM   #27
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally posted by William9
That's good. I'll bet there are many of us customers (me included) who have made up our minds to move to another IMAP email services provider if another significant outage occurs.
Fair enough. I was showing my wife the numbers (service level and server name counts) last night (server1.internal is now down to "two users" - both system users that I don't want to risk moving until I'm sure that nothing depends on them being on a particular host).

She said "what happens if that one goes down" pointing at server3 which still has a 2Tb filesystem, and my response was basically "we're screwed". I know it will take over a week to finish cleaning that one out!

But numbers are looking pretty good, we're over 3/4 moved by number of users, and pretty close to that much by disk usage too.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 08:21 AM   #28
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally posted by William9
Some of us already have...
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2006, 02:32 PM   #29
Heartz
Essential Contributor

Quote:
[(that's another Australian trait - you don't get offended unless somebody slanders your football team)

Never really could understand them Australians and Americans. Why is that a game predominantly played with their hands called football, and football as the rest of the world knows it called soccer?

Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2006, 03:09 PM   #30
ewal
Master of the @

Brong

What was the result of the original problem raised by this thread please? The apparent problem of emails being misdirected.

Also please could you give an update on the domain split project, which seems to be connected with the problem raised by this thread.

Thanks
Edward
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote