EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 12 Aug 2018, 09:50 PM   #1
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Need open source E-Mail storage solution

Good day.

I have E-Mail messages totaling about 60 GiB and need an open source (not Windows) storage solution.

Because storing them with an E-Mail provider would be very expensive, I'm looking for a local or a cloud storage solution.

The ideal solution would strip attachments from messages and store them separately, but would add headers to the text portion of the message indicating where the attachments are stored.

The text portion should still be able to be read with any MUA.

Finally, the solution needs to be open source and run on Linux.

I have used Mhonarc in the past. Although it works pretty well, it stores attachments and text in the same directory and requires a web server. I prefer not to read messages on a web browser.

Is there such an animal as what I'm looking for? (Yes, I have search for one on the Internet without success.)

Thank you.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Aug 2018, 10:30 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Since you want to store locally why not just use Thunderbird or some other client and keep the messages and attachments together? Even 60GB of email is a trivial amount of storage on a PC or laptop. You can separate the attachments manually as each email comes in, but that would be tedious.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2018, 01:31 AM   #3
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Thank you, TenFour.

While I want to store locally, it wouldn't necessarily be on my desktop, but more likely on my LAN. However, I also need to back it up on the cloud.

Thunderbird is good, but it chokes on huge mailboxes. Tried one message per file storage and had trouble with it.

With four months to go this year, I already have over 6GiB of business mail -- mostly composed of PDF file attachments. At this ever increasing rate, I may hit 100 GiB in three or four years.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at Fastmal's new business plans and found one that could work just for storage for the next two or three years:
Quote:
Professional
Best for businesses

$9 per user per month
or $90 / year
  • 100 GB storage per user
  • Personal support
  • No ads, no tracking
  • Full mobile sync with push: mail, contacts and calendars
  • Use your own domain (user@yourdomain.com)
  • Flexible tamper-proof data retention policies with unlimited archiving space
Of course, this wouldn't be my ideal solution of storing message texts and attachments separately. Also, I'm trying to get away from all of the Fastmail baggage that would come with it (as discussed on the FM Sub-Forum) -- not give it more business.

Yesterday, I experimented with the reformime utility and was able to extract attachments from a test IMAP mailbox to separate folders for each message's attachment(s). That was the easy part. The hard part is how to index the location of the attachment on the header or body of the remaining message.

Hopefully, I won't have to reinvent the wheel.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote