EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Sep 2021, 08:29 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Saving the world from email?

Really?

Gen Z could free the world from email
By Sophie June
Adam Simmons, 24, prefers to communicate using “literally anything but email.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ld-from-email/

"Anything but email"? I'd like to see him restricted to only typing memos on paper at work, and see how he likes that.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Sep 2021, 09:03 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

If I had a nickel for every "the death of email" story I would be rich! I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like email and find it very useful. On the other hand, I hate so-called "collaboration" apps that seem to be designed to entrap you like social media does. Sure, I used SMS for short communications with my family and co-workers, but real communication gets done via email. The beauty of email is that you can communicate with almost anyone, anywhere, at any time, using the same systems.
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2021, 09:48 PM   #3
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

"Gen Z could free the world from email". The author didn't really do a good job of giving a real reason for wanting to "free the world from email"

I found this funny: "But members of Gen Z do seem to agree with their elders on one thing: Email. ", this is one elder who does not agree.

The real problem as I see it, many folks these days feel a need to be connected every second of the day. Have to check that email, or Instagram, or twitter or SMS constantly. Not me, not even when I was working. A couple of times a day maybe. At work, never at home.

I love email and prefer it. I let my fingers to the talking. On my cell phone it's my finger.

While I do have access to some of my email accounts via my cell phone, I have notifications turned off. I only my cell phone to check Junk mail.

On occasion I get a SMS notification. I don't check if I an walking, driving, in a store, etc. I was sitting at my local watering hole the other day, my phone beep at me, the guy sitting across the table asked me if I was going to check it. I said maybe later. He said it might be important. I said, it can wait.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2021, 10:20 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I have notifications turned off. I only my cell phone to check Junk mail.
I am the opposite. I like to see the emails as they come in and nearly immediately triage them into delete (most), archive, or flag for later action. That way I don't have a build up of email that I am worried about. There are lots of odds and ends of time during the day when I can take care of email without it really interfering with life: while waiting for the toast to pop up, while waiting for the wife to get ready, waiting for a meeting to start, etc. Might as well use those moments to clear the decks. I find that this keeps me from worrying about emails that might have come in that require action. To me it is less stressful this way. The only people that use messaging to reach me are important, like family, so I do like to get notified immediately. Sure, most of the time the messages are not time-sensitive, but sometimes they are. They just take a few seconds to read and possibly deal with, so I don't find them stressful. On the other hand, I am also capable of ignoring notifications if driving, walking, or doing something else that requires my full attention. Many people are not capable of ignoring notifications for some reason, and for them it can be positively dangerous. I have been behind cars on the expressway that suddenly slow up and sure enough I look to see and they are picking up the cell phone--don't do it!
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2021, 07:45 PM   #5
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I have been behind cars on the expressway that suddenly slow up and sure enough I look to see and they are picking up the cell phone--don't do it!
I was rear ended (not hard) by a driver texting on his phone. Lucky for him, you couldn't tell exactly where, I had a light scuff in the hard rubber of my read bumper, his front bumper had all sorts of dings. Also lucky for him, I knew his boss. So we just laughed it off and carried on. Here if you are involved in an accident, you have to stay exactly as you are until the police arrive and allow you to move. Neither one of us wanted the police involved for something minor like this one.

It's quite common to see people texting, using phones will driving with cars, moto's and trikes were I live. Scary at times. Most windows are tinted so you can see inside anyway, but you can tell.

Last edited by chrisretusn : 23 Sep 2021 at 08:18 PM.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2021, 11:19 PM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

It seems that the problems with email that the story discusses are problems of people that don't really know how to use email: they get everything in their inbox, with no filtering except for spam filtering, and they rely on someone else (email provider) to decide how to filter their spam, and then are annoyed that they need to look at a spam folder.
Most of us here are much more sophisticated email users: we know how to use several email with one mailbox, and then we know how to use email filtering to separate the incoming email to separate folders, how to get notified only about a small portion of our incoming email that we consider worth having immediate notification about, and we know how to tweak our spam filtering (and also how to avoid getting it in the first place).
I don't see email going anywhere because it's the only major method of communications that is open: anyone can connect to the email network and try to provide better ways to use it. All the other main methods people use to connect online are closed networks: they only allow communications between registered members of a private network, and usually don't allow third parties to provide alternative ways to connect to their networks.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2021, 04:44 AM   #7
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
Really?

Gen Z could free the world from email
By Sophie June
Adam Simmons, 24, prefers to communicate using “literally anything but email.”
Adam should try this. Basically an e-mail client that acts and looks like a type of messenger program - https://delta.chat/en/

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2021, 08:43 AM   #8
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Fascinating. Love the universality that overlaying email services and protocols provides.
I haven't tried it yet, but I anticipate 2 issues:
  1. clutter in users' email inboxes or folders
  2. not compatible with true instant messaging services. Existing users seem to be happy to have multiple IM clients to chat with their multiple contacts and the most popular of those platforms are deliberately exclusive. (So a valid solution that doesn't actually solve the problem.)
Will definitely have to experiment with Delta.chat though.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2021, 08:53 AM   #9
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
  • clutter in users' email inboxes or folders
DC makes its' own folder, so any clutter remains there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
  • not compatible with true instant messaging services. Existing users seem to be happy to have multiple IM clients to chat with their multiple contacts and the most popular of those platforms are deliberately exclusive. (So a valid solution that doesn't actually solve the problem.)
It's not compatible with other messaging services. One doesn't need the DC program to send or receive 'DC messages' though, any email client (local or web) and the DC client can communicate with each other since it's really only emails..

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote