EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jun 2019, 10:32 PM   #16
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
It's in the Files section.
Aha! Thank you.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 10:10 AM   #17
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivil View Post
Folder management in the main page with a + , edit and find plus the fact to changes folder parameters is totally bullsh*t !

Does every customer manages folder(s) X times per day ?
I came to this forum to see what comments were on the unannounced Fastmail "improvements".

The one that irritates me most is the folder management on the main "Mail" page - why? If I want to change settings I will go to "Settings".

I don't need the extra screen clutter.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 10:37 AM   #18
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Mail fetch/Connected accounts

Anyone know how to add an external mail account to mail fetch? I can see view and edit mail fetch (in the Import & Setup), but no button to add an account?
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 10:56 AM   #19
Grhm
Essential Contributor

I think perhaps you have to click one of the icons above it, under the heading 'Import mail, calendars and contacts'.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 10:58 AM   #20
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
Anyone know how to add an external mail account to mail fetch? I can see view and edit mail fetch (in the Import & Setup), but no button to add an account?
If you mean to be able to access (send and receive) the other account from fastmail then click Add Identity button in the Sending Identities to set it up. Once set up you will then see it in the External Addresses section of the Sending Identities.

Update:
I just played around with this "new" setup with a gmx account I had laying around. I think what I describe above sets up the send side but not the fetch side. Not sure what I am missing. It was so much more initiative with the older Identities & Fetch setup.

Note, I already had 4 "Identities & Fetch" accounts set up with one disabled. All that info got inherited into this new UI. But where do you now specify the fetch side in this new UI?

Last edited by xyzzy : 26 Jun 2019 at 11:27 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 11:10 AM   #21
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post
If I want to change settings I will go to "Settings".
And if you want to do it that way, you still can!
Personally, I like this change. It seems to me far more logical and efficient to place controls relating to folders on the list of folders rather than buried in the settings menu somewhere.
In fact I wish they'd go the whole hog and bring back the [<] buttons they used to have against each folder in the old pre-'classic' interface, which allowed you to move items between folders with a single click and with no menu-delving required at all.

Last edited by Grhm : 26 Jun 2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Nostalgia for the pre-classic interface.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 08:36 PM   #22
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
In fact I wish they'd go the whole hog and bring back the [<] buttons they used to have against each folder in the old pre-'classic' interface, which allowed you to move items between folders with a single click and with no menu-delving required at all.
I agree with you. That would have been useful as it is about daily management. The folder tree I have has not been edited in years, and I don't imagine many users change it often.

My folder list is on constant display as mails are filtered - INBOX sees very few mails. Those subscribers that use only, or mostly, INBOX will have a different view of this issue.

The balance to be struck is between an uncluttered screen and convenient usability. For my money the top banner is too intrusive on a small screen and contains an arbitrary selection of buttons.

The cleanest interface I know is that of Outlook.com. I wait to see what Google is about to do.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2019, 10:29 PM   #23
Grhm
Essential Contributor

The cleanest interface I know is a blank screen with a flashing cursor.
That has its place, but it is the opposite of user-friendly.
I really don't understand this modern mania for bleak, featureless interfaces.
It's really irritating to have to make multiple mouse clicks and explore complicated menus just to do the simplest things.
Three tiny buttons at the bottom of the folder tree is not 'clutter'!
At worst it might obscure one folder, but only if you have lots and lots of top-level folders (which I do, as it goes)... otherwise that part of the screen is going to be empty anyway.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 03:19 AM   #24
wishlish

Thumbs down Boy, I hate the logo

I get what they're going for, but it reminds me of an off-brand Burger King paper crown. YUCK. The envelope was FAR better, and the circle doesn't help at all.

I'm not going to switch over a logo. Fastmail is still fantastic. But that logo is barf.
wishlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2019, 09:57 AM   #25
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I would have thought at least a F in it, looks like a Bank logo
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2019, 11:19 AM   #26
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

This may be one of those logos that looks different to different people. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder kind of thing. To me it looks like it's trying to be a fancy "M" shape inside a circle. I liked the old logo better too.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote