EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Feb 2019, 09:19 PM   #1
DavidJ

Question Authentication and Deliverability?

Can anyone point me to real research or other evidence, not just claims and pronouncements, on the effect of SPF, DKIM, DMARC, etc. on deliverability?

Thanks.
D.
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Feb 2019, 10:06 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Try this: https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Te...ST.TN.1945.pdf
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2019, 09:01 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Not sure if any study could really give accurate numbers on deliverability with or without SPF, DKIM, or DMARC because how would you test? For example, if your organization sends lots of email to organizations with full DMARC you probably need it, but if you instead just send to random consumers, even millions of them, you probably couldn't detect much difference because you can guarantee that a high percentage of those emails will be going to Gmail and other massive providers. Gmail does probably include DMARC in its spam scoring, but obviously looks at lots of other things. For example, I find that both Gmail and Outlook put lots of legitimate emails into my spam folder, while other emails from the same sources do not go into spam. That indicates to me that Gmail is parsing the actual words used in the message. In other words, you could have SPF, DKIM, and DMARC all set up perfectly and your message still might not get delivered because of something you write in the email. I used to work for a large email service provider and we found that was exactly the case. Sometimes an email would not get delivered, and in some cases it was very hard to determine why when everything was configured correctly. Remember too, you are at the mercy of the receiver's set up, which you rarely have much chance of controlling.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote