EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:38 AM   #16
celia

Rob,

I followed the instructions from your link. In fact, I've got them printed out and right here in front of me. I'm confused about checking the secure whatever. Some people have said check it; others have said not to check it. The printed instructions say don't check it. What in the heck does it do anyway?

Right now, it's not checked. When it was checked, I kept getting messages saying that it couldn't authenticate the server.

Guys, my idea of knowing how to work e-mail is writing a message and hitting "send." Alphabetizing my address book, sending e-mails to folders, and attaching documents are "advanced" e-mail amazing feat as far as I'm concerned. Which reminds me that I miss not having my regular Rules Wizard to organize my messages into the folders.

Thanks again!

celia
celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:03 PM   #17
psalzer

Sounds like it's under control. Very happy to hear it. Celia, don't forget, if you're using IMAP, then you can access it from anywhere, using the web interface when you're not at home. The web interface is just another IMAP client in a way.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:11 PM   #18
celia

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I tried to send another test e-mail to my backup e-mail account and it didn't go through. I tried changing the advanced tab per fmfan -- tried it checking and unchecking SSL boxes. Perhaps I just screwed up the whole thing and will have to reinstall yet again. I can't believe the amount of time I've spent on this today, and still can't get it to work right.

Like I said, I never wanted to be a computer programmer. . . .

celia
Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:12 PM   #19
celia

Just got a message that my STMP timed out after 120 seconds. Guess that means it's bumping it's head up against something that won't let it go through.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:33 PM   #20
ReuvenNY

Like everything else in life, Celia, there is a trade off between simplicity and capability (power). You want something simple? My wife liked AOL for that exact reason... simplicity. Until one day she discovered that AOL erases your read mail from your inbox after several days. Also, when she saved email in her "filing cabinet" in the office, she was not a happy camper when she couldn't find it on her computer at home. That's for simplicity

Greatness in email service l not necessarily in simplicity of the setup procedure. Or compatibility with your email client (although it helps). A good service is one where it's reliable, fast, well supported and developed on an ongoing basis. And that's where fastmail shines.
I don't think any other email service has a forum with so many friendly and helpful participants. In no time you'll be up and running. But the real kicker will be a service you can count on.
So take a deep breath, be patient and go out dancing a little.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:47 PM   #21
ady
Essential Contributor

Hi Celia,

Do you have access to your ISP's SMTP server? Using ISP's SMTP server will reduce your FM bandwidth usage and the send process will run faster.

ady
ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 04:33 PM   #22
reuben
Essential Contributor

and since your isp's smtp server knows (usually without password authentication) that your computer is being used by you, who has paid to have access to your ISP's servers, you probably can circumvent password and relay denial problems altogether.
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:09 PM   #23
psalzer

If you're using only one access provider per computer that is probably by far the easiest way to go. When I had to change from Fastmail's SMTP because I got cable I expected it to be a hassle, because I never set up e-mail at all with the cable company. Far from it..just found the name of their SMTP server on their website and was good to go..no password or anything. All they need is the IP address, I guess.
Old 4 Sep 2002, 03:46 AM   #24
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Post A few points

1. Pardon me but in the original error message where it says "fastmail.fm" shouldn't it say "www.fastmail.fm"? Perhaps that's the source of the error.
2. FastMail.fm is not for everyone. Some folks simply want a "Click 'send' and it works" e-mail solution and FastMail.fm is not for them.
3. The "Guest" and "Member" accounts are a great "try before you buy" option. The most you can lose is 15 bucks. Frankly, I think celia made a mistake starting with an "Enhanced" account (although I'm sure Jeremy and Rob would disagree ).

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2002, 04:02 AM   #25
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

For using an email client, FastMail.FM is neither harder nor easier than any other provider--creating an email account in email software requires basically the same steps regardless of provider (unless you use your ISP's email, in which case you don't have to check the "requires authentication" checkbox).

Unfortunately, setting up email software just isn't that straightforwards... We've done our best to document the necessary steps in the FAQ, but I know that most people find having a techie friend look over their shoulder very helpful (for instance I remember when my Mum set up Outlook Express she called me up and I talked her through it).
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2002, 07:22 AM   #26
psalzer

Jeremy, with all due respect, setting up any e-mail client that isn't with your access provider can be a bit trickier than if it is, or at least there are more possible pitfalls. When it's your own ISP you can usually get it right just following some very, very simple instructions. When it's not, there are variables. Receiving usually isn't the big problem, but sending can be. Sometimes there are errors generated that people can't really figure out for themselves. I've seen this in other places, not just with Fastmail. Probably the best solution is to use your ISP's SMTP. I know it says here and there that it's preferable to use your own if you can, but I don't think it explains why.
Old 4 Sep 2002, 09:43 PM   #27
Shelded

One thing I don't see Fastmail taking advantage of is the capability OE has to export the mail settings to a file which can be transferred from one computer to another. The file extension is .IAF

I suggest Fastmail set up an account that can't send nor receive (but can IMAP login). Then enter the info into the major mail clients (in this case OE) and export the settings to a file the users can download. The newbie user would then import the settings file and verify IMAP login. Then they would personalize the settings for their own account. For the user who uses Fastmail's SMTP this would require changing only the username and password, and most newbies can handle that.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2002, 10:03 PM   #28
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
That is very clever!
I'm sure a lot of people would find it useful.
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2002, 10:52 PM   #29
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Shelded has mentioned this idea to us before, and I must say that I thought it was a great idea then... Given that most of our users use OE, we really should find the time to get around to this...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2002, 11:39 PM   #30
drkotsius

the only way to keep smiling with an e-mail client is by
abolishing it!

i used to think that the web interface is for beginners, but now with fastmail it is peace of mind, forever hopefully...

well done fastmail!!!
drkotsius is offline   Reply With Quote