EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 2 Jan 2010, 01:20 AM   #1
shelmart

SPAM filters have suddenly become really restrictive

This started happening yesterday, December 31, and continues today.

Emails that are coming to me via two disposable email address services -- emailias and spamex -- are now all marked as SPAM. I have my filters set up to direct suspected junk mail to my inbox; I am using the trainable filter option, so I have been specifying that these items are not junk.

I have made no major changes to my filters recently, and thus this behaviour is highly perplexing. I have had email from paypal and ebay marked as spam today, even though I have received dozens (perhaps hundreds) of emails from ebay and paypal in the last couple of years -- with none marked as spam until today.

Advice will be greatly appreciated!

shelley
shelmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Jan 2010, 09:02 AM   #2
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Do RB use SpamAssassin? If so, this problem could be the SA Y2010 Bug.

Incidentally, the correct word for UCE is "spam" (sentence case) -- "SPAM" (upper case) is a registered trade mark.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
mrtoddf

I too see many emails (500+)going into my spam folder that i have rules on to stream to specific folders.. Guess I'll disable spam filter for now
mrtoddf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2010, 05:34 AM   #4
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I dont see a problem in my own account. I have alerted our tech-people and they will investigate.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2010, 09:57 PM   #5
tomhab
Essential Contributor

The reason looks like the spam filter has a FH_DATE_PAST_20XX filter, that means that any date past 2009 is considered vastly in the future. Only problem is that we're now in 2010

Can you update SpamAssassin (I think that's it?) please?
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2010, 11:04 PM   #6
shelmart

If it's a problem with Spam Assassin, then I echo the request by tomhab -- please make the necessary update to Spam Assassin settings.

I am now finding that some emails from whitelisted senders and domains is being marked as spam.

shelley
Old 4 Jan 2010, 07:26 AM   #7
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelmart View Post
I am now finding that some emails from whitelisted senders and domains is being marked as spam.
The problem I mentioned wouldn't affect whitelisted addresses
Old 4 Jan 2010, 08:16 AM   #8
shelmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhab View Post
The problem I mentioned wouldn't affect whitelisted addresses
Then there's something else going on. I hope the Runbox folks will have some answers soon!
Old 4 Jan 2010, 07:38 PM   #9
tomhab
Essential Contributor

To be honest shelmart, it's unlikely that whitelisted addresses would be affected. Could you make sure the addresses are whitelisted and otherwise post a sample header for us to take a look at? Obviously obscure any private data (won't need the body)
Old 4 Jan 2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
This issue was caused by a bug in SpamAssassin giving messages dated 2010 or later extra spam points (yep...).

See this bug report for details: https://issues.apache.org/SpamAssass...ug.cgi?id=6269

We have upgraded our software with the bugfix as of 11:15 CET today when our sysadmins returned after the holiday -- apologies for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2010, 07:30 AM   #11
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Nice work! Seems good now
Old 5 Jan 2010, 07:41 AM   #12
shelmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhab View Post
To be honest shelmart, it's unlikely that whitelisted addresses would be affected. Could you make sure the addresses are whitelisted and otherwise post a sample header for us to take a look at? Obviously obscure any private data (won't need the body)
I marked all such messages as "Not spam", and didn't make any notes as to which particular whitelisted domains were being marked as spam. If it happens again, I'll make sure to keep some detailed notes for further investigation. It did strike me as really, really odd -- but I am 100% certain that some emails from whitelisted domains were being marked as spam.

Anyway -- now that the holiday season is over and the runbox folks are back, it has been taken care of, and all is well.

(BTW, I do not mean to imply that the runbox folks shouldn't have taken a holiday -- they deserve some time off as much as anybody else, and I never expect full service *anywhere* during the xmas-new year's time.)

shelley
Old 5 Jan 2010, 07:42 AM   #13
shelmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
We have upgraded our software with the bugfix as of 11:15 CET today when our sysadmins returned after the holiday -- apologies for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

- Geir
My email is now coming through properly, no more false positives. Thanks for the speedy attention!

Shelley
Old 5 Jan 2010, 11:31 PM   #14
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelmart View Post
(BTW, I do not mean to imply that the runbox folks shouldn't have taken a holiday -- they deserve some time off as much as anybody else, and I never expect full service *anywhere* during the xmas-new year's time.)
The core team worked throughout (at a somewhat lower pace), but we weren't able to perform any upgrades or system modifications during the holidays.

With users in 140 countries every day is a business day.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2010, 03:10 AM   #15
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
With users in 140 countries every day is a business day.
And every night as well

Glad to hear that you guys managed to take a little time off over the New Year period. Trust that 2010 will be a good year for Runbox.

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote