EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Feb 2007, 10:49 PM   #46
ifii563

I am very interested in this feature and would pay a one-time fee for it from the member level.

Conditions:
* simple sneakemail-ish interface
* controlled by a link on top with Compose / Notepad
* non-expiring
* completely random addresses a la sneakemail
* bandwidth breakdown per disposable address
* does not reveal alias / member name
* can reply using disposable address
* can disable disposable address when a company abuses it

Thanks,

Rob
ifii563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2007, 04:57 AM   #47
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
I guess what I'm asking for is more than the form of the disposable addresses, what's the usage scenario people actually use that would make generating them the easiest?
One thing that would be nice is > once in awhile I need an address "fast" and need to give it by phone. I'm by the pc so the ability to jump into FM and generate an address that would show prior to or on the same screen to fill in any description info would be good for me. The last time I had a need for this I didn't bother to go to the SpamMotel site because, IIRC, you need to fill in the info before the address is generated and I couldn't keep the business contact waiting through all that.

Sherry

Edit: Whoops, I just realized I could, of course, just had a couple of addresses ready for occasions like that. (but then I would need to make sure I always have some ready)

Last edited by Sherry : 9 Feb 2007 at 05:02 AM.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2007, 05:26 AM   #48
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Taking Sherry's post (with which I wholly empathise) on a step, what would be really great is to have a toolbar button so you could instantly generate your next random address from wherever you are on your machine. That I would use.

It may not be how you want to do things.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 08:22 AM   #49
Sherry

Question: Is there any change DEA can be used on the File Storage to map to instead of an Alias? (that would be great if it could)

Sherry
Old 26 Mar 2007, 12:15 PM   #50
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Oooo, interesting. Assuming the DEA's go through the existing aliases infrastructure, then probably yes, you could use it for a "disposable website" too... neat.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 04:58 AM   #51
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Great idea!
I use sneakemail every so often but having anything neatly integrated into FM would be great!
I definitely would not want any part of my email address in, and I think the auto-pseudo-name generator is a great idea.
A few ideas:
* Having an auto-dispose option (after a month, ...)
* Having an option to automatically generate a new disposable address every month. For ex, I define "blah_${month}_${year}" and this will map to blah_jan_2007, blah_feb_2007... On my web site, I can easily recreate the address automagically in php. People who want to send me an email would be able to do it. But if the email address gets harvested, it will be useless the following month when the virtual name will map to a different id, without me needing to update my web site or temporary address. So less spam and less hassle.
* A FastCommand to create these addresses. I'll add a page to FastCheck so you won't even need to log on and it will be copied to the clipboard. I could even write a Firefox extension .

Eric
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2007, 05:25 AM   #52
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
I use a few disposable email address sources, spamgourmet and sneakemail most frequently. and I'm happy with both of them. OTOH if I could create and use disposable addresses within Fastmail (my main email provider), it would save me a couple of clicks each time I need a new one.

So, my vote is: nice to have, but easily obtainable from elsewhere.
IMO spamgourmet's approach is pretty much perfect, OTOH it doesn't seem to be 100% reliable, and I've come across some places that wouldn't accept such addresses.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2007, 12:20 AM   #53
norbs
Essential Contributor

for me its the entire end-to-end process that could be quicker and easier.
  • create a unique/random ID for registering on a website
  • remind me somewhere of the link between that website and the email address. especially relevant if its a random text string and not andyr+ebay@...
  • create a personality with similar details for replying to any emails
  • arrange to folder emails if so desired
  • manage expiry of address on a date, or after a number of emails, or be able to kill manually (this should apply to personality too)
i think if it included all that, along with Eric's magic spiderman-firefox plug-in then my "personal" email address would be even more safe and spam free in future.

Andy
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2007, 01:31 AM   #54
rom1

I'm not a power-user but I currently use spamgourmet and this is THE feature I would love to be implemented in fastmail.
rom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2007, 02:21 PM   #55
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I really like Yahoo! Mail Plus disposable addresses and use them frequenlty. It would be important to have a note field to enter to whom you have given the address.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 07:21 AM   #56
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I'll add a page to FastCheck so you won't even need to log on and it will be copied to the clipboard. I could even write a Firefox extension .
Eric, this would be fantastic! Hopefully we could, after using it, log into the web and make the notes on what it was used for.

Sherry
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:18 AM   #57
RLBrooks

Question Fastcheck?

What is FASTCHECK?

Russ
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:28 AM   #58
Sherry

FastCheck is a great little program written by Eric (spiderman) that notifies me of incoming FM email. It tells me instantly for the Inbox and a preset time for the rest of the folders. It will also take you to the web (or OE for me) and the folder the incoming mail is in.

Sherry
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:40 AM   #59
RLBrooks

Question Fastcheck =? disposable addresses

Ok, now I'm more confused. How does this relate to disposable addresses?

Russ
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 10:24 AM   #60
Sherry

It would be a "fast" way to get a disposable address. I'm not sure how Eric plans to implement it but lets say, if we could right/click on the systray icon and click "Get Disposable Address" it would log into FM, get the address and put it on the clipboard (in memory). Then it could be pasted on a web site or pasted anywhere it's needed.

Hopefully the login won't use the same field as the "Email Application" - Web Browser: because mine is set for OE.

Sherry