EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Apr 2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Lightening

Question Internet Explorer 9 Compatibility Issue?

Hello.

I installed IE9 a couple of days ago and noticed that the website I created from FastMail's file storage is behaving differently than it used to.

Before installing IE9 I could click on a number in the lower right corner of the screen and change the size of an image in a couple of steps. Now when I click on a number in the lower right corner IE9 asks, "Do you want to save ... ?" and my choices are to "Save" or "Cancel." If I click on "Save" I indeed can eventually change the size of the image but only after the image has be re-directed to another place on my computer which takes several more steps than the old method.

In other respects my computer behaves much better with IE9 so uninstalling IE9 doesn't seem like a good option.

Is it possible to go back to the old method of changing image size on a website created from FastMail's file storage?

Am I posting this query in the right place?

Last edited by Lightening : 10 Apr 2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Difficulty Posting
Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Apr 2011, 12:30 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Smile IE9 seems to work fine for me with Fastmail

I just upgraded my Internet Explorer to IE 9 an hour ago, and Fastmail seemed to work fine.

___
Oops, you added to your original post. I will check out the images.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2011, 12:45 PM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, this is the correct EMD forum. I very rarely use IE. And I don't use the photo site feature very often. So I'm having difficulty seeing exactly what you are doing.
  • Are you having trouble creating or editing a photo gallery in the Fastmail web interface?
  • Or are you having trouble viewing a photo gallery website (without logging into your Fastmail account)?
  • Or are you downloading images from such a website? I don't see what you are doing to get the "save" dialog.
  • Please tell us the exact steps you are taking.
Bill
Old 10 Apr 2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Lightening

Cool

Thank you for your response.

Since installing IE9 I have not created or edited a photo gallery in the Fastmail web interface.

I am having no trouble viewing my photo gallery website. I am merely having trouble changing the size of a photo in the usual way once I get to the website.

I am not trying to download images from the website (although downloading now seems to be the only way I can change the size of an image). I am merely trying to change the size of an image in the way I have always done, by clicking on the desired size in the lower right corner of the screen.

The usual way was this:
Click on the desired size
Click on "Save" to immediately view the image in the size I have chosen

The new way is this:
Click on "Save"
Go through a several-step process of saving the image to the location of my choice before I can view it in the size I desire

Did I make it clear this time?
Old 10 Apr 2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Lightening

Correction

I made a mistake in my last post. So sorry. In the correction below I changed one of the "Save"s to "Open".

The usual way was this:
Click on "Open" to immediately view the image in the size I have chosen

The new way is this:
Click on "Save"
Go through a several-step process of saving the image to the location of my choice before I can view it in the size I desire

The problem is that IE9 will not allow me to simply "Open" and thus view the image in the size I clicked on.

The disadvantage to this is that it takes several more steps to view an image in a different size.

The advantage to this is that once I have completed the extra steps I can then view the image in any size I choose, not just the size I chose at the beginning.

Is this clear or muddy?
Old 10 Apr 2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Lightening

Question

Here's more information:

The dialog box offers two main choices: "Save" and "Cancel".

Under Save, it offers three sub-choices: "Save", "Save as", and "Save and Open".

When I click on "Save" nothing seems to happen except that the dialog box closes.
When I click on "Save as" I am able to save the image to a location of my choice.
I cannot click on "Save and open" because it is not highlighted.

The problem seems to be that a simple "Open" is not a choice with IE9 as it was with my previous IE. It seems that this has nothing to do with FastMail.

The only questions that remains in my mind is how to highlight "Save and open" so that I can click on it. Does anyone out there know how I might do this?
Old 11 Apr 2011, 08:51 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Question How do you see the Open and Save

Again, I don't see any difference between IE8 and IE9. Many months ago the interface was changed to have a size slider control in the upper right, and I think there are also some auto-zoom features (based on the browser). You haven't specified if you are looking at a Grid, Filmstrip, Single, or Slideshow view. But I don't see any Open or Save buttons on these screens. Are you right-clicking or using other browser features or add-ons?

Bill
Old 11 Apr 2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Lightening

Cool

When I am in either the Single or Filmstrip mode and hover the cursor in the bottom corner of the screen, a box appears that gives me a choice of sizes.

It is when I left click on one of those sizes that a dialog box opens giving me a choice of Save or Cancel.

The previous IE also allowed me to Open, but with IE9 the Open option is not hightlighted so I can't click on it.

My screen shows no slider in any of the four modes, and I am not aware of any auto-zoom feature. Are these options available through FastMail?

Last edited by Lightening : 11 Apr 2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added word
Old 16 Apr 2011, 06:38 AM   #9
Shelded

I upgraded(?) to IE9 from IE8 and it broke the EmailDiscussions forum so I could not post. I enabled Compatibility and happiness came.

I found my own site hosted on FM also broke. It's a simple page with an animated GIF, but IE9 rendered the page as raw HTML. Again, Compatibility view fixed it. But what are visitors seeing? HTML?
I added this to the code to hope to address what visitors are seeing:

<!-- Use IE7 mode -->
<metahttp-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"content="IE=EmulateIE7"/>

My photo stuff is displaying fine, but maybe the above code fixed that for me?

I find IE9 slightly faster than IE8. All interface changes they made are not appreciated at all, however. And certainly whatever renders things diff is not appreciated.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote